Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Moving to a hot country for 5-6 months in November then on to Ireland for 6 months and i need help finding the hot country. My requirements are:

-I would like it to be 15 Celsius or more
-I don't eat food that comes out of the water (fish, oyster, crab, etc...) I don't like the smell taste or texture so i need to be somewhere that isn't al about that type of food.
-Cheap living i would like my rent, utilities, food and such to be around 600-800. I could go higher though and that doesn't include travel budget around that area.
-I would like to be able to easily find sports to play recreationally such as volleyball beach or indoor, soccer, track and field.
-prefer not to have to learn a new language

These places all seem to fit my budget, but cost of living and sports and recreation are all somewhat hard to find information on. I know most of those places have lots of meetup groups from meetup.com but for social/recreation malta and costa rica dont really have much though.

Malta -

Philippines - Seems like its higher cost of living unless you live in the "****ty" part of the cities

Mexico - could get away with english and small amount of spanish, can't really find to much non tourist info

South Africa, Cape Town? - Fits my cost of living budget but from what i have read can be very dangerous for white people even without flash jewelry or money and dirty (people using the street as a bathroom)

Thailand - Lowest cost of living, but i would have to learn a whole new language before going

Costa Rica - can't really find to much non tourist info

If you have any information that could help me with any of these places for choosing, or if you have a better idea please let me know

I would like to find a website like what New Zealand has for people who want to move there

·
Administrator
51,345 Posts
You realize, of course, that we have forums here for all of your choices, save Costa Rica. Why not ask a few questions in each of those right here on Expat Forum?
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been looking up information and what not but i have a hard time finding what i need to search for to get info for what i need. So i woll look but i would like to have my questions answered the way i am looking for them.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Ah, the good old if you can't find the answer through research, post a gigantic question for random internet strangers to answer approach.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I doubt that the monthly budget you mention is enough to live a good or even decent lifestyle - except, as you correctly say, in the "****ty" parts of town, where those locals live who survive on less than that (not out of choice, mind you!), an even there only if you accept their way of live (I know from your post that you won't!).

Of the places you list, I have lived in Thailand - which you call "lowest cost of living". I agree that many things are cheap, but I wouldn't even dream of moving there with less than US$1000/month - more if you drink, want any luxuries (incl. car or international travel) or plan on getting hooked by local girls (which most foreigners do). Besides that, you will not get a visa for staying there legally - many do without, but then depend on the whims of the local authorities and their demands for bribes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you decide go Costa Rica. here wonderful lives in Costa Rica on as little as $1000 or less per month and they are happy. Living here on a budget that low may require that one live away from San José and the infrastructure here and do without some "luxuries" like cable TV, Internet etc. I know people who rent rooms rather than live in a home or apartment and live here on as little as $800.00 per month. Always remember though that one man's luxury is another man's necessity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts