Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the OH is in Javea at the moment looking for property to rent. He got sunburnt driving from the airport to Javea - if you see a man walking around with the side of his face and arm bright red - that's him!

Now, he tells me that the Spanish government is thinking about forcing people who have bought a property and have owned it for 3 years in Spain, to give up their passports and take a Spanish one. Really???

Can anyone explain this to me - am I missing something?

:confused:

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
So the OH is in Javea at the moment looking for property to rent. He got sunburnt driving from the airport to Javea - if you see a man walking around with the side of his face and arm bright red - that's him!

Now, he tells me that the Spanish government is thinking about forcing people who have bought a property and have owned it for 3 years in Spain, to give up their passports and take a Spanish one. Really???

I read the Spanish press every day and have not seen anything even remotely like what is being suggested. Sounds like a complete urban myth to me.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts

He definitely has been in the sun too long if he believes that

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Passport

Apart from nonsense, I'm sure, British people are allowed dual nationality as several other nations.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
No, but the UK does, which would be the important one for Brits.
To take out Spanish nationality you have to denounce your British (or other) nationality to the Spanish crown. Which of course means nothing since the only authority that can take away your British nationality is the British government. However it might be problematic if the Spanish government discovers you have kept your nationality, more so if you try to use the other nationality for things like travel.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Never ceased to be amazed that the stuff some British immigrants get to hear of. Who makes up this crap?

Here's my contribution: all immigrants are from January 1 2016 to be obliged to swear a solemn oath before a portrait of King Felipe that henceforth they will speak Spanish and only Spanish and forswear ITV for Canal Sur.

How do I know? Well, I was in this pub, the George and Dragon on the seafront in TTown...;)

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Never ceased to be amazed that the stuff some British immigrants get to hear of. Who makes up this crap?

Here's my contribution: all immigrants are from January 1 2016 to be obliged to swear a solemn oath before a portrait of King Felipe that henceforth they will speak Spanish and only Spanish and forswear ITV for Canal Sur.

How do I know? Well, I was in this pub, the George and Dragon on the seafront in TTown...;)
Well that won't concern them, Mary, they will think it doesn't apply to them as they are expats not immigrants.:D

We will just have to think up something a bit more frightening.

I know, with effect from 1 January 2016 imports of all British foodstuffs including beer are to be banned in Spain, in retaliation for the UK threatening to leave the EU. Any British person, whether resident in Spain or a tourist, who is found attempting to smuggle so much as a jar of marmite into Spain in their suitcase will be fined €10,000 - on the spot.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Once the new rules come into force in just a few short months (note use of DM speak) this sort of carry-on will be classed as dangerous sedition under Spain's new public security laws and those taking part will be rounded up and deported. You have been warned.
Does anyone know how we can be deported from England? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
:D:D:D

·
Registered
19,449 Posts

What could the Spanish government possibly gain from this?

I think this is probably a screw up information about the so called golden visa. This offers residency to non eu nationals
The objective of the law is to attract entrepreneurs to Spain, and stimulate foreign investment in Spanish real estate, public debt, and job creation.
This law enables non-EU nationals to get qualified residency permits in return for investing in Spanish real estate (and other assets), leading to long-term residency in Spain if certain conditions are fulfilled. The key points of the draft law are summarised in this section.
Spanish Residency "Golden Visa" Investment Guide - Spanish Property Insight

OR
As we are soon to have municiple elections where almost anything can happen, it might be part of the programme of one of the more xenophobic parties like Manos Limpias, for example, although I doubt it.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
What about this for misinformation from a Spanish property expert:confused:

EU pensioners moving to Spain lose access to national health service -
Unbelievable. The article he links to (Mind the Health Gap) is actually accurate, referring to the fact that early retirees to Spain would need private health insurance, and would not be entitled to NHS treatment in Britain either, but he has completely misrepresented the situation in his brief paragraph. I often wonder how these people managed to get jobs as journos when their powers of comprehension are so obviously limited, but then again perhaps it's done deliberately to create alarm.:mad:

It will probably appear in a DM article tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts