Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
We bought our house when it was snowing slightly, but didn't think it ever got cold!!!! Stupid or what??? It has never snowed since, but it does get cold!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Well our whole move to Spain was wrong, simply because of the timing. We planned meticulously, but without taking into account the imminent recession, which officially started three months after we arrived in Spain. So all of our plans, buyinhg a property, the exchange rate, my husband moving his business, me finding work went "out of the window". We managed tho, had to re-plan things and we settled, but it wasnt a relaxing easy transition, husband had to commute and it cost us a lot of money. We eventually, after four years had to come back to the UK.

This is why I'm possibly a tad negative when people come on the forum thinking it'll be easy to move there, to get jobs, to live the dream - it aint!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well our whole move to Spain was wrong, simply because of the timing. We planned meticulously, but without taking into account the imminent recession, which officially started three months after we arrived in Spain. So all of our plans, buyinhg a property, the exchange rate, my husband moving his business, me finding work went "out of the window". We managed tho, had to re-plan things and we settled, but it wasnt a relaxing easy transition, husband had to commute and it cost us a lot of money. We eventually, after four years had to come back to the UK.

This is why I'm possibly a tad negative when people come on the forum thinking it'll be easy to move there, to get jobs, to live the dream - it aint!!

Jo xxx

We have friends who moved here in October and are now experts in everything. One of their favourite sayings is that no way will they ever return to the UK as it is so good here. Fortunately they don'y need to work but life would be easier if one of them did and although he had a job to come out to the company folded the week after they arrived. Last week their daughter and friend came for a few days, one is a hairdresser the other is taking an NVQ in care for the elderly, my friend has encouraged them to come here to live. When I said they wouldn't get work I was accused of being negative and that both of them are good at their jobs and will have no problem. What more can I say?

·
Registered
15,939 Posts
I know a couple who bought their house in midsummer on the basis of its lovely mountain views, without realising that between October and March the house receives NO SUN AT ALL because it never gets above those lovely mountains.

Another common mistake is going against the advice of local builders when restoring old properties. If they say you need a slope on your roof terrace, they aren't just trying to be awkward ...

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
The biggest mistake is to think you'll EASILY get a job if you can't get one in the UK, speak no Spanish, have no skill or profession.
The second mistake is to write off people who point that out as being 'negative'.

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We bought our house when it was snowing slightly, but didn't think it ever got cold!!!! Stupid or what??? It has never snowed since, but it does get cold!
That's the kind of thing I mean, you know, when people throw their coats away because they're going to live in Spain (cue Hepa who'll say he hasn't worn a coat in years...) Anyway, I feel the snow should have given you a clue there...:) Took my parents years to take me seriously when I said there was frost or snow.

Jojo - if the Spanish government wasn't predicting a crisis I don't know how you were suppose to have. My impression is that you managed the situation as well as you could.

Alcalaina - Yes, I think a common mistake is to think every Spaniard is trying to rip you off. Of course some are, and if you don't speak the language well, and are new to the country you are rather at their mercy. It's very difficult to get the balance right between cautious and silly. I remember on the Metro in Madrid once, there were 2 American girls with huge bags. A young guy went over to try to help them and one of the girls totally misunderstood and thought he was trying to steal the bag (in full view of the passengers in a closed carriage mind you :confused:) Of course he was very embarassed and he probably understood everything they were saying about the creepy Spaniard who had tried to rob them...
I suppose the best advice is to be nice, try to ask for advice from a neutral third party if you can and if not just accept that some you win and some you don't
Footnote - over the years I honestly can't remember having the wool seriously pulled over my eyes at all. Being short changed a few times to the total of a few euros and that's it

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Another common mistake is going against the advice of local builders when restoring old properties. If they say you need a slope on your roof terrace, they aren't just trying to be awkward ...
Our biggest mistake was employing a Brit builder to do the renovations on our house, because our Spanish was limited at the time.
Thousands of euros and a great deal of stress later, the work was finished by a Spanish builder who did excellent work at a fair price.

(and before anyone has a go at me for deriding British builders working in Spain - this was our experience. It may not be the same for others).

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The biggest mistake is to think you'll EASILY get a job if you can't get one in the UK, speak no Spanish, have no skill or profession.
The second mistake is to write off people who point that out as being 'negative'.
I could add...

thinking that you'll get a job full stop, easily or not,...

but if I did that people would probably say I was being either too negative or too selfish because I'm already here and I'm just trying to keep others away.

G

·
we are hoping not to make any serious mistakes that is why we are not moving here until we have visited many area's first. Our current favorite places is Sevilla. We learned last year that the guide books are written for those living in the EU, i.e this and that is cheap. For us we find everything expensive and more so anywhere near the coast where there are loads of expats. After last year's visit we knew we would like to have extra income so we could enjoy a similar life style that we have now, so we have started several online business's for now targeting those that pay in euro's and pounds. Business is starting to pick up and we are going to open our .es site in the near future.

Another suggestion is when visiting Spain or anywhere for that matter and you are looking at making a living or supplementing your retirement. Do not re-invent the wheel, look at what works in your culture, me I'm norte ameicano, so I look at what works on my mothership and can be copied here. There is a bunch of things missing in Spain that they like everyone else want and need. Just identify it and go for it.

suerte

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Dare I say it?
Thinking you are going to be living in 'The Real Spain'. :)

Also along those lines, saying 'I don't want to live anywhere near an expat community' and moving into a completely Spanish-speaking area. Then struggling with anything involving bureaucracy (which is almost everything), because you cannot speak Spanish and have no one to turn to who can explain things to you in English.

·
Registered
15,939 Posts
There's also the illusion that because the crime rate in some areas is very low, it's fine to leave your front door open and your car unlocked. Opportunist petty crime happens everywhere.

A friend of mine had the ink cartridges stolen from his printer while he was in the kitchen!

·
Administrator
36,785 Posts
we are hoping not to make any serious mistakes that is why we are not moving here until we have visited many area's first. Our current favorite places is Sevilla. We learned last year that the guide books are written for those living in the EU, i.e this and that is cheap. For us we find everything expensive and more so anywhere near the coast where there are loads of expats. After last year's visit we knew we would like to have extra income so we could enjoy a similar life style that we have now, so we have started several online business's for now targeting those that pay in euro's and pounds. Business is starting to pick up and we are going to open our .es site in the near future.

Another suggestion is when visiting Spain or anywhere for that matter and you are looking at making a living or supplementing your retirement. Do not re-invent the wheel, look at what works in your culture, me I'm norte ameicano, so I look at what works on my mothership and can be copied here. There is a bunch of things missing in Spain that they like everyone else want and need. Just identify it and go for it.

suerte
so you'll not be wanting a retirement visa now - because you are planning to work here?

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
I would say the main mistake (after all the above) is attitude of mind.

Those that come to Spain and immediately start complaining that it would have never happen in England ........ you moved to Spain! Get on with it!

Those that come to Spain and stay in the town that they arrived in and mix totally with the expat community. There's a beautiful interesting country out there ... Get out there and explore it!

Remove soap box
Return to tiling

(By the way Ive had a filling and my teeth cleaned this morning. I cant feel my mouth. I'm starving but I cant eat. I'm in a bad mood. But I'm getting on with it ;))

G

·
so you'll not be wanting a retirement visa now - because you are planning to work here?
I'm not sure what your point is but I can read into it that you think I'll not follow the law...else you are thinking you are my private mod, if so please make me a sandwich, else please stay on topic.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Ok, here's a less serious one.... :)
Walking around in shorts, t-shirt and sandals in November, because it's warmer than in the UK, while your neighbours are all wearing their winter woolies.
I think that's a serious point!

We arrived in December from a snowy Prague and it was hot. So I got out my white shorts and donned them, revealing my even whiter legs.

Sandra said I looked a right wally as the locals were all in jeans and sweaters.

I guess she was right.

·
Registered
572 Posts

suerte
We live in Sevilla province! Good choice!!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.