1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19,386 Posts

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts

I know.... we have friends living in both areas and they too are in despair at the insanity of it all. Thankfully we have heavy rain today which fingers crossed stretches to Galicia.

They are also angry at the lack of response from Madrid... although Rojoy pitched up yesterday... why they ask can we send thousands of GC to Cataluña, why are they not here, like us, forming bucket chains!

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I think we all know the real reason for this. I don't believe that it is a coincidence that the PP recently blocked a bill to prohibit construction on burned land....

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think we all know the real reason for this. I don't believe that it is a coincidence that the PP recently blocked a bill to prohibit construction on burned land....
I was a firm supporter of Zapatero when he was first elected and I vividly remember his government passing a bill to stop reconstruction on rural land affected by fire for a period of twenty years I think it was, so I don't know what the PP were blocking? I think it's fair to say 20 - 30 years ago a fair number of these fires were started intentionally in order to be able to build on the land once it was reclassified, but nowadays it seems that it's done for the "fun"...

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
I was a firm supporter of Zapatero when he was first elected and I vividly remember his government passing a bill to stop reconstruction on rural land affected by fire for a period of twenty years I think it was, so I don't know what the PP were blocking? I think it's fair to say 20 - 30 years ago a fair number of these fires were started intentionally in order to be able to build on the land once it was reclassified, but nowadays it seems that it's done for the "fun"...
https://www.wwf.gr/crisis-watch/cri...w-law-undermines-forest-conservation-in-spain

A particularly controversial new law on forests was approved by the Spanish Government’s first cabinet meeting for 2015. Environmental groups, including WWF Spain and SEO/Birdlife, heavily criticised the new law. According to their analysis, it contains provisions that allow for the downgrading of public woodlands by new urban development schemes. A most threatening provision, article 50, allows for land use change and the exception of burnt forest lands from protection status, upon “imperative reasons of overriding public interest”.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sickos

Reading about the illness of pyromania reveals that it could be the cause of the fires.

When I was living in Portugal there were 4 close by within a few weeks and I doubt they were set for political reasons. One clearly a sort of small bomb thrown onto the roof of an empty shop at night, the other fields that were lit at two or three places.

We alsoo saw this in Calabria and actually witnessed a couple who were getting back in their car adter having attempted to light a fire under some trees among the fallen pine needles in a nature park, no politics there either.

Sick people everywhere, world over.

Any way I look at it though, whether for political reasons or pyromania, its a sick thing to do and so dangerous, destructive and depressing for everybody.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Don't start me about politics and " fire"

A lot of it is down to political correctness gone mad

Only last week I had a petrol station owner ranting raving and screaming at me when I decided to have a cigarette in his garage forecourt

Surely they're my lungs and my decision

Nanny state or what

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
We were in Sierra de Segura beginning of August and heard strange and alarming stories. Firefighting is subcontracted out to private companies who are widely accused of starting forest fires to secure work for their business.
They use delayed ignition devices in strategic spots and light bushfires at nightfall so vigils cannot report until it's too late.
There was an article in the Jaen local press but I can't reference it.

Sad and crazy world.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts