Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to travel to Mexico for 6 weeks in about two years. I'd like to know what the pandemic situation is like there now. One of my teachers in Escuela Mexicana says they are vaccinating old people now, but don't have enough vaccines for other adults.

Do you think that the pandemic will be under control by November, 2022?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would like to travel to Mexico for 6 weeks in about two years. I'd like to know what the pandemic situation is like there now. One of my teachers in Escuela Mexicana says they are vaccinating old people now, but don't have enough vaccines for other adults.

Do you think that the pandemic will be under control by November, 2022?
Perhaps the best answer to your question is one of the local newspapers. There are many free ones available online. That pretty much is where I get my information.

You can start with a site such as this :
El Sol de Puebla | Noticias Locales, Policiacas, sobre México, Puebla y el Mundo

They are a big news outfit. If you look at the top right hand corner you will see a button labeled 'Nuestros Sitios'. If you click on that button a list will open up with dozens of local newspapers.

Another site you might consider is this :
Mexico | Reuters.com
Once again - that is currently where I turn to get well researched, fairly reported news on Mexico.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Mango Tango. I went to the Reuters site because I read English much better than I read Spanish. It looks like the Corona Virus situation there is very bad at this time. I will keep checking Reuters regularly to see how it goes. This is excellent information to have! Thanks so much.

·
Registered
684 Posts
To me I don't think the situation is "very bad". But it depends on where in the country you want to go, and what your reference point is. I think it's a good bit better than a year ago!

There is some government site that posts maps of Mexico, I think every 2 weeks, with each state color coded green/yellow/orange/red. I wish I could find the original point to give a link to, but I can't. I see it in the news, but it's always just a copy rather than a link, so I don't know where to go to always see the latest.

But here is the most recent I can find: Coronavirus stoplight: 6 states green, 20 yellow and 6 orange

I believe the trend is worse in some places and better in others. I read elsewhere that Quintana Roo, where I am, is getting worse (it's orange already).

Reuters site says Mexico overall is at 17% of the peak and falling, with 16 infections per 100k people in the last 7 days, vs the US which is at 21% of the peak with 113 infections per 100k people in the last 7 days.

Infections per 100k pop is not really comparable due to many factors - less testing in Mexico, for example. Still, 16 is a lot less than 113.

Flying here is probably a much bigger risk than living here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, eastwind. I will save the link and keep up with the virus trends. I also subscribed to an English language newspaper about Mexico.

·
Registered
170 Posts
eastwind,
this will get you to the source of the maps. On this page click on the daily report. (Beware: the Idioma button will lead to a different set of information.) The daily report maps are shades of gray otherwise more information than most will ever want or understand.

·
Registered
572 Posts
What is most concerning in Mexico is not so much the infection rate as the death rate. Mexico has one of the highest Covid death rates in the world, around 10%.

·
Registered
684 Posts
By all accounts in Mexico the rate of testing is low. Fewer tests per pop means fewer positive diagnoses. The diagnoses that are missed are the light or asymptomatic ones. The result is an apparently higher death rate when expressed as a percent of positive diagnoses.

I.e. if the denominator is undercounted, the quotient will be artificially high.

Mexico is at 1.7k deaths per million pop, the same as the United States. Above the middle globally, but a pretty good showing, considering.

However, it's possible the US is overstating the number of deaths due to covid (to get more medicare payments, and for other political purposes), and it's possible Mexico is understating the number of deaths due to covid (again for political purposes).

Some of the countries with the lowest death rates seem unbelievably low - for example Haiti at 22.5 deaths per million. That has to be the result of under-counting. So it's really hard to tell anything from any of the statistics.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Mexico is also one of the country where the population is overweight and that has to affect the death rate .. so it is not that surprising that with an overweight population, and a high rate of diabetis, the death rate is high.

·
Super Moderator
8,989 Posts
Mexico is also one of the country where the population is overweight and that has to affect the death rate .. so it is not that surprising that with an overweight population, and a high rate of diabetis, the death rate is high.
I believe that the country with the highest rate of obesity in the world is the US; Mexico is #2.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting. Thanks, Isla Verde. I remember when I moved to Northern California in 1968 from San Francisco, I was shocked at how many obese people were in Humboldt County. I never saw that in Texas, nor in Iowa, nor in San Francisco.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While I abhor obesity, the problem is not the people, it's the companies that make food that is loaded with sugar and fat. They could use Stevia for sweetening, which is a natural product with zero calories. Let's put the blame where it belongs -- on the giant food industry.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
While I abhor obesity, the problem is not the people, it's the companies that make food that is loaded with sugar and fat. They could use Stevia for sweetening, which is a natural product with zero calories. Let's put the blame where it belongs -- on the giant food industry.
It's the person who decides what they put in their mouths, obviously. They are to blame for their lack of will power to not become obese and danger their lives. Nobody else can force them to eat anything they do not want to eat and the quantities they consume.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like to think that way, too, but let's face it -- the food companies put things in the food that make addicts. I am a sugar addict. There is no question in my mind that I am one. So I have cut out sugar and use stevia. My sweet tooth is not as sweet as it once was, but if I eat one bowl of ice cream, or one tapioca pudding, I will eat more, and more, and more, and put on 25 lbs. My weight is a slim stable, and I plan to keep it that way. But I have a lot of will power, and many people do not have that. I lost one of my very closest friends to obesity. She kept saying she was losing weight, but she'd eat two whole full course lunches. I told her I gave her a year to live; she died three months later.

·
Registered
572 Posts
C'mon Marian, people are responsible for themselves. No one is forcing them to eat crappy food. Just because there's McDonald's everywhere doesn't mean I've ever been tempted to eat there.
Once when I was doing a 3 day fast, and didn't want to deal with food, but had 3 kids to feed, I went and got them Big Macs and fries, assuming they'd be thrilled- I NEVER took my kids there and they always thought they were missing out because their friends went.

I put the stuff on the table, called them down for dinner and was doing something in the other room. There was dead silence at the table, I looked over and they all had the Big Mac wrappers peeled back and were looking at it warily and looking at each other. Finally my middle daughter looked at me and said, "Mom, we can't eat this".

I have a sweet tooth, too. So while I might grab a gooey doughnut at the bakery while I'm out, I just don't buy that stuff and keep it in the house. I can eat an entire quarter of a key lime pie at one sitting no problem, if I succumb to buying and bringing one home.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Processed food companies do engineer food to be addictive - - it can become a cyclic unconscious event in one's life. Proper education can break this cycle. Sugar is known to be addictive and bad for one's health. And the food companies are becoming sneaky in how they list sugar on the package - - instead of using one type of sugar, which would be listed as one of the first ingredients - - they use various types of sugars so their listings will be scattered about in the products ingredient list. Eat whole foods, limit sugars, stop watching the news and live happy. And stop eating bananas - fructose = fatty liver.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Eat whole foods, limit sugars, stop watching the news and live happy.
Surabi and StevenJB That's an amazing story that your children could not eat MacDonald's foods. Ugh. Good for them.

What I can't understand is why SO MANY MILLIONS OF PEOPLE don't t take stevenjb's advice and take care of themselves.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,049 Posts
I agree with others. In my opinion, the whole obesity epidemic has been caused by the processing/packaging/fast food industry. If people never, or rarely, ate anything that came in a package or had been processed they would be fine. Michael Pollan said it best "Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food,"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts