Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am trying to get an idea of the basic monthly costs are in the city and country you live in.

For example, the average cost per month where I live in Lima Peru is only about $600 to $800 US dollars which includes rent, food, bus travel, basic cable, gas and elec.

It would nice to get a perspective and make a cost comparison on different cities and countries across the planet.

If you can, please quote in US dollars..THANKS in advance.

·
Administrator
51,610 Posts
Your mileage may/will vary, but figure that minimum wage in France is 1350€ (= nearly $1800) a month - and living in Paris on the minimum wage is kind of doubtful in the best of times, unless you're a student.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
The main problem with these threads is we all make different choices. Nobody is average.

Around here you're lucky to pay 400 Euros for rent but are more likely over 500. OTOH that 400 Euro place can likely be bought for 60K. Or not much more.

Things like utilities vary with your lifestyle. Somebody that is never home will spend less then somebody home all day.

Choices like bus over car will cause things to vary . Not just in the obvious ways.

Even food depends on your tastes. Oatmeel isn't much cheaper then steak here.

In general if you own your own home €500 a month will cover your average costs. But you can spend less or FAR more. If you don't own your own home then you need to add rent. If you don't own a car expect to spend more on things like food [Or anything else you buy]

·
Administrator
51,610 Posts
Excellent point, too, NickZ. In France, for instance, if you work and take public transit, your employer pays for one-half of your public transit pass (which is good throughout the month, even on weekends). That makes a big difference in the minimum figure we're trying to calculate here. Then there is whether or not you will be part of the local health care system - if not, in most countries, you have to spring for private insurance equal to the local system's benefits.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good point, NickZ,

you need to lay down certain parameters for comparison: eg live in city or country side, what proportion tax is paid, does that include school fees, maybe you're a student living a meagre live on pasta & pesto sauce or a family of 5 that only eat biological food only, have 2 cars...?!

You can only compare like with like!

greetings

Julia

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
In Southern Spain, including everything, running a car, rent and school fees. It costs me, my two children and three dogs 2,500€ a month - and thats not being extravagant

Jo xxx

·
Registered
484 Posts
Here in Greece, although it varies very widely from place to place, it's possible to get by on around €700 / month (that's the minimum wage, anyway). Good apartments can be had for €250/month, add utilities, food, and public transportation, and it goes up to around €700-900 for one person. Personally I spend a bit more than that but I could make do with less.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hello everyone. I am trying to get an idea of the basic monthly costs are in the city and country you live in.

For example, the average cost per month where I live in Lima Peru is only about $600 to $800 US dollars which includes rent, food, bus travel, basic cable, gas and elec.

It would nice to get a perspective and make a cost comparison on different cities and countries across the planet.

If you check out the thread "Cost of living in Vancouver?? by Labanks, I have already done that. It is in Canadian dollars though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Col

I live in the Lake Chapala region of Mexico. I would say teh cost here might be a tad higher depending on where you rent or buy. Rent in Ajijic area is higher than further east where I live. Spanish is recommended here because there are very few fluent English speakers. Crime is almost non-existant.
Electric every 2 months is about $3.66 A kilo of strawberries is .80 phone with internet is about $46, home gas is about 23.60. Mexican style food and produce is much cheaper than "******" food.

I live a very nice lifestyle on $1800 per month and I am paying off back taxes and CC from the US.

·
Registered
17 Posts

II started to reply to this post, and then realized how old it is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts