Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's just another day for you. But weirdly, even though I'm living by myself and won't be having dinner with anyone, I feel a need to celebrate Easter Sunday with a little bit of a "special" dinner. I'm curious what a typical French Easter dinner consists of, and whether the ex-pats on this board have a typical French dinner or something else.

So please share what you are going to be cooking and/or eating!

I'm planning to roast a chicken, make potato salad, have asparagus (I found a recipe for an asparagus salad with hard-boiled eggs and capers and parsley and vinaigrette that the description says is a classic Italian salad, so I may try that, or I may be lazy and just steam it and put some lemon juice and butter on it.) I'm thinking about making rice pudding with raisins but I might be lazy there too and just have a grapefruit or an orange for dessert.

·
Administrator
49,823 Posts
During my early years here in France, one of the grocery stores used to go all out for Halloween - including a display of a "typical Halloween dinner" - apparently in the belief that all American holidays are celebrated somewhat like Thanksgiving. At the time it kind of struck me that here in France they only holiday that is really done up with special foods and all is Christmas (maybe New Year's - but not always). Thanksgiving remains the French notion of "an American holiday" - though when you think about it, lots of the US holidays revolve around the food.

We'll see what others have to say, but Easter has never struck me as a holiday here that has specific foods associated with it - even though families often get together for "Sunday dinner" (though some families do that almost every Sunday - or used to).

The other "weird" thing (to me) about Easter here is that the traditions are more "church oriented." There is no Easter bunny and generally I get the feeling that the notion of "Easter eggs" is considered a German import, though you do get lots of chocolate eggs. (No jelly beans, though, which I definitely miss. <g>) The "delivery method" for Easter chocolate is not some rabbit, but rather the church bells, which are said to fly off to Rome on either holy Thursday (Maundy Thursday?) or Good Friday - so no church bells are rung for the few days before Easter. When they return, they leave chocolate for the children. Personally, I prefer the bunny story, but not having kids it doesn't really matter these days.

Then, there is the holiday on Easter Monday. Many other European countries make it a four-day weekend by having Good Friday as a public holiday, too. But here it's just a regular old long weekend with the Monday off from work or school.

·
Registered
348 Posts
...the only holiday that is really done up with special foods and all is Christmas...
I don't agree, Bev.
Lamb is the traditional meat for Easter Sunday dinner here. There were lots of legs of lamb for sale in the shops this last week. I bought one as they were on special offer and I love lamb.
So we'll be having a gigot de 7 heures with flageolets and pommes dauphines.
Though the leg of lamb might cook for a little less than 7 hours (I won't be getting up at 5 to put it in the oven!) it will still fall off the bone when it's taken out of the pot.
And probably rhubarb crumble and custard for afters... but that's not traditionally French! :)

Bon appétit à tous !

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ooh, now you have me craving rhubarb. Don't believe I've seen that on my Walmart online grocery ordering app, sadly. I have some growing at my house in Maine but I won't be there for another month and a half--doubt it's ready to harvest yet even if I were there, it's still too early in the year that far north. The lamb sounds delicious too. Enjoy!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm cheating with the rhubarb! It's some I preserved last year :)
Though it won't be long before we're eating what's in the garden. It shot up with the recent fine weather.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nut cutlets, potato salad, bean salad, lettuce, chocolate brownies for pudding, and elderflower cider to sleep.

Hard life being a veggie😆

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
1,658 Posts
Lamb is for sale everywhere here in the Allier, bio shop and supermarket , although I am having a veal roast italian style with some pasta.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
The other "weird" thing (to me) about Easter here is that the traditions are more "church oriented."]
It is, after all, a religious holiday after all.
All of the "bunny" stuff is nonsense.
BTW, the calculation of the proper date of Easter has been a key part of the progress in Western European mathematics and science.

·
Administrator
49,823 Posts
It may depend on the region you're in, but up here to the north of the Loire, you normally wind up with a nice Sunday lunch - but with the main dish depending on the family customs. DH's family tends to go the "roast" route - for Christmas as well as for Easter - but it can be roast anything. Lamb doesn't seem to be all that available here locally, although you can always order it from the butcher, I guess. Have seen more veal and poultry than lamb in the stores.
It is, after all, a religious holiday after all.
All of the "bunny" stuff is nonsense.
There are those of us who much prefer the "bunny" stuff - and miss the traditional jelly beans. Also, for Barb's benefit, there are no "peeps" here at all.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually just read a post on one of the 'living in France" Facebook groups that someone had bought some Peeps in Paris somewhere, and they were quite expensive. I don't really like them anyhow (same for jelly beans, and in the fall, I think candy corn is the worst candy ever invented!) So I won't miss them! (Plus, these days I am trying to really cut back on added sugar.)

It is weird to contemplate a country without Peeps, though! Might just be too strange for me to be able to settle in there... :)

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
Lamb is the traditional Easter Sunday meal throughout most, but not all, of France.
I'm not sure that is the case. Besides, there is not enough lamb in France to feed 60 million people.

One thing that is for sure, the queue for Mc Dos drive today will be quite busy.

·
Administrator
49,823 Posts
Lamb is the traditional Easter Sunday meal throughout most, but not all, of France.
Lamb in various forms is generally available from the butcher here, but it can be difficult to find a leg of lamb or a roast - which is what I think of as the traditional Easter meal. In any event, as you note, these things vary by region.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm not sure that is the case. Besides, there is not enough lamb in France to feed 60 million people.

One thing that is for sure, the queue for Mc Dos drive today will be quite busy.
Traditional does not mean that everyone eats it, and certainly not everyone these days :D In any case, there would not be anything like 60 million Christians resident in France.

These days French families that have a celebratory meal today serve what suits them, or choose what suits them at a gathering at a restaurant (not the latter this year).

What I can tell you is that McDos is not traditional and that this Easter is not a normal one in any case.

@Bev, it is likely that lamb is not traditional in your area, however in lots of areas of France you can purchase lamb in many forms, including legs of lamb which is what a gigot is.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts