Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone share light on what is average dental checkup cost in Australia, especially in NSW, and more specifically in Sydney? Assume that the person who wants to get his teeth checked, does not have medical insurance apart from Medicare.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The easiest way to figure out the cost is at the very least it will be equal to a yearly extra premium cost of your private health fund.

If you want to know the dental cost in QLD or WA, you can pm me for details.

·
Super Moderator
5,694 Posts
The easiest way to figure out the cost is at the very least it will be equal to a yearly extra premium cost of your private health fund.

If you want to know the dental cost in QLD or WA, you can pm me for details.
That's not correct. :)

For a start, private health funds only cover dental if you get ancillary(extras) cover, and even then, they won't pay anything near 100% of any dental costs.

For example, my extras cover (quite high level, not basic or intermediate) pays about $40 towards a comprehensive dental examination. Many health funds' extras will pay less.

Average cost of a checkup might be about $70, although if you wanted descaling, cleaning and a fluoride treatment with that is might be $200+.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's not correct. :)

For a start, private health funds only cover dental if you get ancillary(extras) cover, and even then, they won't pay anything near 100% of any dental costs.

For example, my extras cover (quite high level, not basic or intermediate) pays about $40 towards a comprehensive dental examination. Many health funds' extras will pay less.

Average cost of a checkup might be about $70, although if you wanted descaling, cleaning and a fluoride treatment with that is might be $200+.

True
I simplified many things when answered the OP.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
with insurance or without insurance?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi verynewuser,

If the reason you're asking the question is to decide whether to take an ancillary (extras) cover, then from my personal experience it's probably not worth it. Basically, it’s just forced savings to help with the cost of medical expenses. Besides, you may not be able to get 100% back from your premium like what kaju said above. Private health fund typically set the maximum claim to 70% - 80% of your dental cost.

If you're good with money / saving, it's probably better to get the comprehensive or top hospital cover instead. And, be careful with junk policies trap from private health funds.

That's just my two cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts