Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have a Bachelors degree in Computer Science which I obtained in the US. I was thinking about moving to Australia and was looking at their skilled occupation list, but I am a little confused as to what they mean by a "Developer Programmer" I don't know if this is different in Australia but in the US we have Developers and then we have Programmers, so I was just wondering what is meant by "Developer Programmer" Do they mean both Developers and Programmers are eligible?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I looked on the New Zealand skills list and the Developer Programmer title apparently is the equivalent to the Computer Programmer title but I don't know if this would be the same in Australia.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

Refer to the ANZSCO Descriptions document from ACS.

This contains example descriptions of ICT units and employment duties for each nominated occupation ANZSCO code.

I have observed that ACS is not concerned about you designation rather they are more focused on your R&R as per ANZSCO Descriptions document.

Refer to DIBP web-link of ANZSCO Codes and Occupations

Reactions: dcasarrubias

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Refer to the ANZSCO Descriptions document from ACS.

This contains example descriptions of ICT units and employment duties for each nominated occupation ANZSCO code.

I have observed that ACS is not concerned about you designation rather they are more focused on your R&R as per ANZSCO Descriptions document.

Refer to DIBP web-link of ANZSCO Codes and Occupations
Thanks for the informative response. I just had one more question if you don't mind. On the document you provided it stated that

"In order for a qualification or employment period to be deemed closely related;
 At least 65% of the ICT units in your qualification must be relevant to the nominated occupation
 At least 65% of the duties and responsibilities listed in the employment reference letters must be relevant to
the nominated occupation.

For example I am currently looking at Developer Programmer which states

Description of Employment Duties:

researching, consulting, analyzing and evaluating system program needs
 identifying technology limitations and deficiencies in existing systems and associated processes, procedures
and methods
 testing, debugging, diagnosing and correcting errors and faults in an applications programming language
within established testing protocols, guidelines and quality standards to ensure programs and applications
perform to specification
 writing and maintaining program code to meet system requirements, system designs and technical
specifications in accordance with quality accredited standards
 writing, updating and maintaining technical program, end user documentation and operational procedures
 providing advice, guidance and expertise in developing proposals and strategies for software design activities
such as financial evaluation and costing for recommending software purchases and upgrades

Description of Closely Related Core ICT Units:

• Algorithm design and development
• Compilers - (Compiler Construction, Compiler Theory)
• Data structures
• Formal languages - (Formal Methods, Functional Programming)
• Human Computer Interaction
• Object Oriented Programming
• Operating systems - (Unix, Linux, Xenix, Network OS)
• Programming - (C, C++, Objective C, Visual C, Basic, Visual Basic, Java, Assembler, Cobol, Pascal, PL/1, Fortran, PHP,
Pearl, AS3, FoxPro, and similar)
• Software Engineering
• Systems Programming
• Testing strategies and methods - (Software Testing)

Description of Additional Closely Related ICT Units:

• Artificial intelligence
• Automata theory
• Business Information Systems
• Computer Science
• Critical Path Method
• Database design, Database implementation
• Database Management Systems - (Relational Database, Object Oriented Database, RDBMS)
• Expert Systems
• File Processing
• Information Systems
• Introduction to ICT - (Introduction to Computer Science, Computer Theory, Introduction to Business Computing,
Computer Science I)
• Introduction to Information Systems
• Management Information Systems
• Object Oriented Systems Analysis and Design
• Object Oriented technologies
• Project Management
• Quality management - (Quality Assurance, Software Quality)
• Requirements gathering
• Software validation - (Software Testing)
• Structure of languages
• Systems Analysis and Design
• Telematics
• User Requirements Definition
• Web Engineering - (Web Design, Internet Engineering)

DOES THAT MEAN I HAVE TO HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF 65% OF THE ICT UNITS AND BE ABLE TO PERFORM ATLEAST 65% OF THE DUTIES LISTED ABOVE?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

In my opinion Developers from US already qualify for 261312 - Developer Programmer. I have few developer friends from US who have successfully migrated to Australia.

One has to provide documents to prove this at the time of ACS Skills Assessment (either of the following):

* Employer Reference Letters (from your employers)
OR
* Statutory Declaration from your work colleague (preferably Your Team Lead/Manager)

PLUS your Employer OR Work Colleague should be able to respond/answer to IMMI verification email or Call (IF any)

• researching, consulting, analyzing and evaluating system program needs
  • identifying technology limitations and deficiencies in existing systems and associated processes, procedures and methods
  • testing, debugging, diagnosing and correcting errors and faults in an applications programming language within established testing protocols, guidelines and quality standards to ensure programs and applications perform to specification
  • writing and maintaining program code to meet system requirements, system designs and technical specifications in accordance with quality accredited standards
  • writing, updating and maintaining technical program, end user documentation and operational procedures
  • providing advice, guidance and expertise in developing proposals and strategies for software design activities such as financial evaluation and costing for recommending software purchases and upgrades

Thanks for the informative response. I just had one more question if you don't mind. On the document you provided it stated that

"In order for a qualification or employment period to be deemed closely related;
 At least 65% of the ICT units in your qualification must be relevant to the nominated occupation
 At least 65% of the duties and responsibilities listed in the employment reference letters must be relevant to
the nominated occupation.

For example I am currently looking at Developer Programmer which states

researching, consulting, analyzing and evaluating system program needs
 identifying technology limitations and deficiencies in existing systems and associated processes, procedures
and methods
 testing, debugging, diagnosing and correcting errors and faults in an applications programming language
within established testing protocols, guidelines and quality standards to ensure programs and applications
perform to specification
 writing and maintaining program code to meet system requirements, system designs and technical
specifications in accordance with quality accredited standards
 writing, updating and maintaining technical program, end user documentation and operational procedures
 providing advice, guidance and expertise in developing proposals and strategies for software design activities
such as financial evaluation and costing for recommending software purchases and upgrades

Description of Closely Related Core ICT Units:

• Algorithm design and development
• Compilers - (Compiler Construction, Compiler Theory)
• Data structures
• Formal languages - (Formal Methods, Functional Programming)
• Human Computer Interaction
• Object Oriented Programming
• Operating systems - (Unix, Linux, Xenix, Network OS)
• Programming - (C, C++, Objective C, Visual C, Basic, Visual Basic, Java, Assembler, Cobol, Pascal, PL/1, Fortran, PHP,
Pearl, AS3, FoxPro, and similar)
• Software Engineering
• Systems Programming
• Testing strategies and methods - (Software Testing)

Description of Additional Closely Related ICT Units:

• Artificial intelligence
• Automata theory
• Business Information Systems
• Computer Science
• Critical Path Method
• Database design, Database implementation
• Database Management Systems - (Relational Database, Object Oriented Database, RDBMS)
• Expert Systems
• File Processing
• Information Systems
• Introduction to ICT - (Introduction to Computer Science, Computer Theory, Introduction to Business Computing,
Computer Science I)
• Introduction to Information Systems
• Management Information Systems
• Object Oriented Systems Analysis and Design
• Object Oriented technologies
• Project Management
• Quality management - (Quality Assurance, Software Quality)
• Requirements gathering
• Software validation - (Software Testing)
• Structure of languages
• Systems Analysis and Design
• Telematics
• User Requirements Definition
• Web Engineering - (Web Design, Internet Engineering)

DOES THAT MEAN I HAVE TO HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF 65% OF THE ICT UNITS AND BE ABLE TO PERFORM ATLEAST 65% OF THE DUTIES LISTED ABOVE?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi dcasarrubias,

Please see inline comments for my answers.
Also you can refer to ACS Skills Assessment Guideline for more information.

DOES THAT MEAN I HAVE TO HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF 65% OF THE ICT UNITS
>> Yes, this can be proven with your college transcript. As you have a degree in Computer Science, I don't see this as a problem IMO.

AND BE ABLE TO PERFORM ATLEAST 65% OF THE DUTIES LISTED ABOVE?
>> Yes, this can be proven with an Employment Reference from the companies you have worked with, or a Statutory Declaration from a colleague if Employment Reference is not possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts