Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have applied for a Visa to work in Aussie - Adelaide. But what if there is no job available for me? I have a diploma obtained from the local polytechnic and also taught home tuition to pri schoolers. I also have experience working in F&B.

1. What kind of contractual work will I be able to get?
2. Is it difficult to set up a business there? My hubby is an egyptian and there is no problem for us to bring in goods to sell from Egypt. But what are the chances of opening a small business?
3. Can I cope without a direct network support?

Pls help..!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

1. What type of work do you do?
2. What visa are you coming over on? Will you have PR? It's quite difficult to import stuff from overseas (even if you are setting up a company) so best check on any restrictions there may be.
3. Can't answer that one as I don't know you.

Dolly

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Nurmahmoud,

What's F&B?

I would think it depends on how flexible you are in what work you are looking for. If there's no work in your field are you prepared to look at something else?

I remember some years ago in the UK when I couldn't get an IT contract. I signed up for agencies to do temp work since I had office skills and I still couldn't get work. In the end the only work I could get was becoming an Avon lady and selling cosmetics door to door. Was this my ideal job? Definitely not! Did it still bring in some money when I needed it to? Yes! Did I learn a lot? More than I imagined about sales and human nature.

As Dolly says it does depend on your visa but it also depends on what you are prepared to do in the short term....

Only you can decide whether you can cope without your current support network but of course you'll be building a new support network when you are out here.

Regards,
Karen

1 - 3 of 3 Posts