Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a valid PR to Australia which expires in August 2018, currently, I am making good money and quite comfortable. Staying away from Australia I managed to get some great job offers as well.

I did my initial entry in April 2014 and still away from Australia. At any cost, I have to apply for Resident Return visa.

Is there any harm or drawback if I arrive in July 2018 just a month before my PR visa expires? And then apply for Resident Return visa. I know I allowed to stay in Australia permanently the only condition is I cannot leave the country without Resident Return visa

If anyone can guide me it would be a great help.

Cheers

Trends

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hi All,

I have a valid PR to Australia which expires in August 2018, currently, I am making good money and quite comfortable. Staying away from Australia I managed to get some great job offers as well.

I did my initial entry in April 2014 and still away from Australia. At any cost, I have to apply for Resident Return visa.

Is there any harm or drawback if I arrive in July 2018 just a month before my PR visa expires? And then apply for Resident Return visa. I know I allowed to stay in Australia permanently the only condition is I cannot leave the country without Resident Return visa

Cheers

Trends
RRVs are only given to those who are settled in Australia. The T&Cs are available on the DIBP site. The intent is not that you show up for a few weeks, get the RRV and disappear again. Perhaps Australia wouldn't be the best move for you?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RRVs are only given to those who are settled in Australia. The T&Cs are available on the DIBP site. The intent is not that you show up for a few weeks, get the RRV and disappear again. Perhaps Australia wouldn't be the best move for you?
Hi Thanks for your reply, well I am relocating permanently and will be there. My concern was to visit my parents who obviously stay in another country.

regards

Trends

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hi Thanks for your reply, well I am relocating permanently and will be there. My concern was to visit my parents who obviously stay in another country.

regards

Trends
That's going to be tough. IIRC the rules are something like 2 years in the 5 prior to application. If you literally only validated your PR with a short trip, that means you'll be needing to stay there for some time before you can qualify. I understand they make exceptions if you really DO have ties in Australia (kids in school, mortgage, etc), but am clueless as to the realism of that happening. There's also the 157 RRV, but that looks like it's pretty strict on its terms.

Reactions: trends

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Hi All,

Cheers

Trends
you can enter even a day before the travel rights expires

however RRV has some eligibility requirements and you need to fulfill else it will be a straight denial

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
As Sultan has said, you can arrive the day before the travel rights expire and that will be fine to allow you to remain indefinitely. Getting a RRV will depend on how long you've lived in Australia and whether you have established ties. So you may want to arrive far enough in advance to make sure you can give evidence of ties, e.g. leased/purchased housing, a job, etc. You may only get a short-term RRV at first but at least it would give you travel rights again if you need to go overseas.

Reactions: trends

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
As Sultan has said, you can arrive the day before the travel rights expire and that will be fine to allow you to remain indefinitely. Getting a RRV will depend on how long you've lived in Australia and whether you have established ties. So you may want to arrive far enough in advance to make sure you can give evidence of ties, e.g. leased/purchased housing, a job, etc. You may only get a short-term RRV at first but at least it would give you travel rights again if you need to go overseas.
Given he'll have been in Australia far less than 2 years (hasn't settled here yet, 5 years up in August 2018), even if he arrived and settled tomorrow, he might get a 12 month RRV, but there's a good chance he might only get a 3 month RRV - there is an element of Case Officer discretion. :)

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Given he'll have been in Australia far less than 2 years (hasn't settled here yet, 5 years up in August 2018), even if he arrived and settled tomorrow, he might get a 12 month RRV, but there's a good chance he might only get a 3 month RRV - there is an element of Case Officer discretion. :)
Yes, the short-term RRV I referred to is 3 or 12 months, but at least he'll have travel rights if he needs to travel overseas.

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
Yes, the short-term RRV I referred to is 3 or 12 months, but at least he'll have travel rights if he needs to travel overseas.
Agreed, but the feeling I get is that trends wants to continue working outside Australia and keep coming back just to keep his PR, rather than actually needing an RRV for short term travel. :)

He'd get a 3 month RRV, but anything significantly more than a 3 month RRV each year for the next couple of years, even with the rest of the time spent in Australia is very likely not going to happen.

There is no way to stay outside Australia most of the time past 5 years and keep PR. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.