Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And it's got to do with renting.

All in all, the advice on this forum is pretty damn good. Maybe it focuses on the negative a bit too much sometimes, but whatever.

One popular piece of advice is this: rent before you buy. Pretty good advice in general.

...but here's the problem: it's quite possible that the majority of people will go to Spain looking for a place between March and September, and that's a BIG problem, because:

-Landlords will try to make as much money renting out for holidays than long-term.

This means you can come over and drive yourself nuts contacting different agents, just to be told the landlord is not interested in long-term renting. Why would the landlord want 1000 euros a month if he can get 1000 per week?

...and here's another thing:

-The GOOD properties will be aimed for holiday lets anyway.

If a property is really good, good sized, and in a good location, chances are the landlord WILL have more financial success renting out for holidays.

So, what's the solution? Personally, it seems a lot easier to find properties to rent long-term inside cities. However, this means the landlord and the agent will only speak Spanish or very little English, so if you have taken Spanish lessons, this is where they come in handy.

I'm making this thread because before jumping over we were told that, thanks to the Spanish real estate crisis, there has been a glut of properties and there's "many places to rent", "just ring them up". Well, it's true, there's plenty of places to rent...but not long-term. The places that were available for long-term were often away from everything, expensive for what you were getting, and small.

Of course, this phenomenon is not unique to Spain, lots of properties in big cities in the world are having trouble with landlords letting out their properties through AirBnB, creating much more competition for good, affordable property.

Perhaps we should mention this more often when people ask for advice on this forum?

Cheers folks.

EDIT: And one more thing: quite a few of these properties for long-term rent are stuck in the 80s/70s or are "Jesus Christ homes", where the owner has got pictures and figurines of Jesus everywhere. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not exactly how I would present a property to rent myself.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I think alot depends on the time of year you look. Obviously the end of the holiday season may bring better deals for long term renters - also, there are properties available as sometimes, landlords find life easier to have a good, long term tenant. They may not make as much money short term, but they have less hassle (in general) and its a long term income, rather than a quick buck for half the year with double the aggro (cleaning after every tenant, holiday makers who dont take pride, care....). Lots of people wouldnt want to live in a city

Jo xxx

·
Registered
174 Posts
Very good point and advise. Renting is what we are about to do? Hopefully as our house will be sold within a month. And want to go to Spain a few weeks later. But find a flat rent for 3/6 months through the summer look as tho not possible. Don't want to waste money on rent in UK as it is expensive in our area. And want to purchase in Spain and check out areas. But looks like we're going to have a serious problem? Looks like we will have to live at our sons unto Autumn. But really want to get to Spain as we're not getting younger!

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
And it's got to do with renting.

All in all, the advice on this forum is pretty damn good. Maybe it focuses on the negative a bit too much sometimes, but whatever.

One popular piece of advice is this: rent before you buy. Pretty good advice in general.

...but here's the problem: it's quite possible that the majority of people will go to Spain looking for a place between March and September, and that's a BIG problem, because:

-Landlords will try to make as much money renting out for holidays than long-term.

This means you can come over and drive yourself nuts contacting different agents, just to be told the landlord is not interested in long-term renting. Why would the landlord want 1000 euros a month if he can get 1000 per week?

...and here's another thing:

-The GOOD properties will be aimed for holiday lets anyway.

If a property is really good, good sized, and in a good location, chances are the landlord WILL have more financial success renting out for holidays.

So, what's the solution? Personally, it seems a lot easier to find properties to rent long-term inside cities. However, this means the landlord and the agent will only speak Spanish or very little English, so if you have taken Spanish lessons, this is where they come in handy.

I'm making this thread because before jumping over we were told that, thanks to the Spanish real estate crisis, there has been a glut of properties and there's "many places to rent", "just ring them up". Well, it's true, there's plenty of places to rent...but not long-term. The places that were available for long-term were often away from everything, expensive for what you were getting, and small.

Of course, this phenomenon is not unique to Spain, lots of properties in big cities in the world are having trouble with landlords letting out their properties through AirBnB, creating much more competition for good, affordable property.

Perhaps we should mention this more often when people ask for advice on this forum?

Cheers folks.

EDIT: And one more thing: quite a few of these properties for long-term rent are stuck in the 80s/70s or are "Jesus Christ homes", where the owner has got pictures and figurines of Jesus everywhere. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not exactly how I would present a property to rent myself.

Thank you! You have discovered for yourself something I've mentioned before on this forum when people have said that it is more advisable to rent long term in Spain than to buy. In my very large town, there are currently less than 50 properties listed as available for long term rent on idealista.com, for example - but more than 10 times that many for sale. And as you rightly say, a lot of the long term rental properties on offer aren't places I'd be happy to live in. If I was coming to Spain and found myself having to accept somewhere to live which I didn't like, even for 6 months, I think I'd be very unhappy and it could well put me off the whole idea.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
I think it depends
Where you are - If you want to rent/ live in a popular tourist area you've surely got to expect it to be more difficult to find non holiday rents. However, they must exist. Friends who have properties in Orihuela prefer long term renters, and have them! In Madrid, Segovia, Bilbao you'll have no problem finding long term rents

Where you look for info - As an "outsider" you don't always have access to the same info that the locals do and your language skills will have a lot to do with that. You won't know that Mari Pili's cousin has got a property in the block you're looking at or that Evaristo's brother owns the house next to the post office. You won't know that the property section of the local paper comes out on Thursday etc etc.
Also the speed at which people want to do things can influence the success or not of finding a property. There are many posts which talk about making plans for next year or so, but there are just as many from people saying they have to find something in a week, and often that's the wife/ husband looking on their own. Some things shouldn't be done in a rush, and they have to be, then expect imperfect results

and maybe

Who you are - Some landlords will see foreigners as more of a risk, and if I had a house for rent I'd prefer to rent to people I could communicate. My MIL rented to a Japanese family in Algorta and everything was done in English through my BIL. If he hadn't been around there wouldn't have been a rental contract, as simple as that.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
PS People from the UK looking for long term rents need to know Alquiler de Larga Duracion or Larga Temporada
Here's a link which will probably be no good after a day or two, but these are for long term lets ONLY in Mijas
Alquiler cala mijas larga temporada - Trovit
So perhaps that's the info they need to get in forum answers.

PPS I know what you mean about the Jesus Houses!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Here's our experience.

For a few years we looked around Spain until we recently found an area we both liked. When we looked around Spain, it was usually in the summer months and up to October. We did have a holiday in February when the weather was not so good, but we actually found the area we have now decided on during that trip.

We know we like Spain in the summer, so here's the thing - we are going from October to March to see whether we like it in the winter too!

Yes, finding rental properties is a pain, but my partner went over a couple of weeks ago to view 'winter lets'. He found one that he thought we would both like, in a convenient area and one willing to accept a small dog. Ours is owned by an English couple living in the area and the contract is in Spanish and English. We made appointments for him to view on-line before he got to Spain and then contacted more agents in the area whilst there.

Our approach may be belt and braces - but at our age (59 and 62) and owning our house in England, we are not willing to sell up and go just yet in case we do not actually like living in Spain.

I have made lots of enquiries as to clubs and things to do in the area, including some voluntary work to keep me busy as I do not want it to feel like a holiday for the 6 months.

Here's hoping we like it - but then sometimes life is what you make it!

Good luck with your move.

·
Registered
881 Posts
It depends where you are looking, if you want to live in Benidorm or the likes, then probably the rentals are more expensive, but here where I live, 90% of rental properties are for a year and very very cheap. When it is a holiday let, it says on the text.

Eeek! Who'll want to live in a holiday place? I spent the weekend (sadly) in Albir (near Benidorm) and it was a nightmare... fish & chips shops all around, 'expats' drunk at 10am... and it reminded me of Blackpool. Awful. Awful. Awful.

Who would come and live in places like that, as if they were at home but with the nice weather? Eek!

Pah...!

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
It depends where you are looking, if you want to live in Benidorm or the likes, then probably the rentals are more expensive, but here where I live, 90% of rental properties are for a year and very very cheap. When it is a holiday let, it says on the text.

Eeek! Who'll want to live in a holiday place? I spent the weekend (sadly) in Albir (near Benidorm) and it was a nightmare... fish & chips shops all around, 'expats' drunk at 10am... and it reminded me of Blackpool. Awful. Awful. Awful.

Who would come and live in places like that, as if they were at home but with the nice weather? Eek!

Pah...!
And some people would say, who'd want to live in that backwater Oliva where there are no Fish and chips bars, pubs and streets fights?!

Others would argue that some Spanish did very well out of the Benidorm Boom and that thousands of people from the UK have happy summer holidays there each year.

As long as each one is happy with what they've got.

But back on topic, yes, you say the same as I did. Some of it depends on where you are looking.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Very good point and advise. Renting is what we are about to do? Hopefully as our house will be sold within a month. And want to go to Spain a few weeks later. But find a flat rent for 3/6 months through the summer look as tho not possible. Don't want to waste money on rent in UK as it is expensive in our area. And want to purchase in Spain and check out areas. But looks like we're going to have a serious problem? Looks like we will have to live at our sons unto Autumn. But really want to get to Spain as we're not getting younger!
Which area of Spain do you want to be based in?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
There seem to be less properties to rent now than there were 2 years ago when we found ours, that said some of the same properties are still there not rented.
Still shouldn't be a problem finding one to rent though, there are lots available but less of the type we were looking for.

We lucked out with our property and I'm glad we chose this path first, the whole buying process has taken a lot longer than we expected and if we had moved with the intention to buy straight away and just rent a holiday let or hotel it would of been an expensive disaster.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
And some people would say, who'd want to live in that backwater Oliva where there are no Fish and chips bars, pubs and streets fights?!

Others would argue that some Spanish did very well out of the Benidorm Boom and that thousands of people from the UK have happy summer holidays there each year.

As long as each one is happy with what they've got.

But back on topic, yes, you say the same as I did. Some of it depends on where you are looking.
I suspect more Spaniards live in Benidorm and go on holiday there than Brits.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
If you want to rent/ live in a popular tourist area you've surely got to expect it to be more difficult to find non holiday rents. However, they must exist. Friends who have properties in Orihuela prefer long term renters, and have them! In Madrid, Segovia, Bilbao you'll have no problem finding long term rents

Where you look for info - As an "outsider" you don't always have access to the same info that the locals do and your language skills will have a lot to do with that. You won't know that Mari Pili's cousin has got a property in the block you're looking at or that Evaristo's brother owns the house next to the post office. You won't know that the property section of the local paper comes out on Thursday etc etc.
Also the speed at which people want to do things can influence the success or not of finding a property. There are many posts which talk about making plans for next year or so, but there are just as many from people saying they have to find something in a week, and often that's the wife/ husband looking on their own. Some things shouldn't be done in a rush, and they have to be, then expect imperfect results
That's the funny thing about where I am - it's not a holiday resort and there is in fact very little tourist accommodation in the town (3 hotels, a couple of B&Bs but hardly any houses to rent for holidays) and yet there are still so few places available to rent long term. I have people (Spanish people) knocking on my door sometimes asking if houses nearby which have been empty for a long time are available to rent.

Yes, local knowledge can be very useful - but what do you do say if you go and look at a house belonging to somebody's cousin and it turns out to be awful with 1970s kitchen and bathroom tiles and junk shop furniture (which a lot of properties to rent do have, as the OP said)? I'd find that a bit embarrassing, I prefer to see photographs first to see whether it looks as though it would suit me or not.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Ummm yes!

And make in excess of 6% yield on his investment.

Just making a point. The negatives can save their keystrokes, I'm not getting into a debate about it.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

I think people are told that they might struggle to find something where they want when they're trying for a long term rent over the summer.

Flexibility is the key thing, if people are flexible then across a lot of Spain they should be able to find something.

But if wanting to rent in a particular area in order to get to know it ahead of possibly purchasing, then yes, that's a problem.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
That's the funny thing about where I am - it's not a holiday resort and there is in fact very little tourist accommodation in the town (3 hotels, a couple of B&Bs but hardly any houses to rent for holidays) and yet there are still so few places available to rent long term. I have people (Spanish people) knocking on my door sometimes asking if houses nearby which have been empty for a long time are available to rent.

Yes, local knowledge can be very useful - but what do you do say if you go and look at a house belonging to somebody's cousin and it turns out to be awful with 1970s kitchen and bathroom tiles and junk shop furniture (which a lot of properties to rent do have, as the OP said)? I'd find that a bit embarrassing, I prefer to see photographs first to see whether it looks as though it would suit me or not.
I didn't mean to imply that the same policy holds true for all and everywhere. I'm sure there are places where it's just difficult to rent. In other areas you need to know more about the area or you need to be more flexible.
I'd just say, much as sirtravelalot has said, don't take it as a given that long term rental is easy. In addition I'd say that you open up your possibilities by looking in Spanish, and by not starting your search in the summer, well after Easter actually which is common sense when you think about it.
Of course you could always end up in a nightmare situation where your landlord tries to turf you out when the holiday season comes along as Jojo found I seem to remember.
As for what do you do if you see the cousin's 1970's house and you don't like it, well you just have to truthfully say it's not what you were looking for, as you did pre internet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Actually we have been looking along from the coastline of Costa blanca South but willing to go inland around say up 30 minutes. Not Benidorm though. We don't want to buy a house a a busy expat area but want to have English speaking around. As Although having Spanish lessons not sure how good we will be as now in around Mid 60s. We have stayed in La Zenia, handy for getting every where.Not sure I could cope living that area full time though? But need somewhere to go to as we are coming over by ferry, bringing our car for 3 months. Need somewhere for probally longer though. But realise we will have to come back with car in between. Just spoke to and Agent in La Zenia and they say will have loads in September along the whole coast and inland so may need to wait until then. Difficult to be there to be in the know if you haven't anywhere to stay when you get there. I did try Airbnb by the way and nothing available then either. Seems a lot of rental sites do not always update their calendars. And they are already rented out when I check them out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Actually Lolita Olivia sounds nice we will look that way as well? But we're needing to be around English speaking hospitals such the one at Torrevieja or Murcia really as hubby as some health problems. And seems to get that with English speaking doctors you need to be in Expat areas. Really would like to have both...not likely to happen though? What is the health care situation in your area with hospital and Doctors as we will not be able to get any private health care. Be we do qualify for the state system.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Since this seems to be degenerating into a thread about renting, here's my twopenn'orth:
If you are planning on renting in a smallish community, e.g. a village - ask around locally. You will invariably find people who know of somebody with a place to rent, especially with Spain's inheritance laws which, regrettably, mean that a house is inherited by a number of family members who cannot agree whether to sell or not nor for what price but might be willing to rent while the selling market is a bit depressed.

Back to the title of the thread:
What do I wish I knew before coming: That it got quite as cold in the winter. Admittedly we are over 2,000 feet up but some winters, the temperature barely touches below freezing but after acclimatising oneself to the heat of summer, one is less prepared for the cold of winter. However put on another layer of clothes and another log on the fire...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts