Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 476 visa (recognized graduate) for Australia, but I did not use it yet and am not in AUS yet. Now I applied for a student visa (postgraduate research - 574). I did that because I was suddenly granted for a scholarship.

In the visa wizard it says: "Location: When the visa is granted: Same location as when you apply." So does that mean I can study there on my 476 visa and I need to leave the country later to be granted for the 574 visa? Or will the visa application for the new 574 visa immediately be refused as soon as I enter Australia on another visa?

On that website they also say: "If applying outside Australia, you must not arrive in Australia before the grant of your first student visa." So What happens IF I go there anyway? Will the student visa application be canceled or only paused?

:boxing:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I currently have a 476 visa (recognized graduate) for Australia, but I did not use it yet and am not in AUS yet. Now I applied for a student visa (postgraduate research - 574). I did that because I was suddenly granted for a scholarship.

In the visa wizard it says: "Location: When the visa is granted: Same location as when you apply." So does that mean I can study there on my 476 visa and I need to leave the country later to be granted for the 574 visa? Or will the visa application for the new 574 visa immediately be refused as soon as I enter Australia on another visa?

On that website they also say: "If applying outside Australia, you must not arrive in Australia before the grant of your first student visa." So What happens IF I go there anyway? Will the student visa application be canceled or only paused?

:boxing:

Why 476 can not be used for Research ? DIAC website mentions below as well

What does 476 visa let me do?
This visa allows you and any secondary applicants included in your visa application to remain in Australia for up to 18 months with no restrictions on work or study. During this period you may choose to:

•travel
•work
•undertake further professional studies
•study to improve your English skills.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Why 476 can not be used for Research ? DIAC website mentions below as well

What does 476 visa let me do?
This visa allows you and any secondary applicants included in your visa application to remain in Australia for up to 18 months with no restrictions on work or study. During this period you may choose to:

•travel
•work
•undertake further professional studies
•study to improve your English skills.
That's incorrect. You can carry out further studies on this visa and that is effectively what postgraduate research is.

In response to the OP's query - Why did you apply for a student visa? You could have carried out further studies on your 476 visa, without the need to apply for an additional visa, particularly if your visa is valid for the duration of your postgraduate studies.

If you apply offshore, then you will need to be outside Australia at the time of visa grant. Your visa application will still be processed but a case officer will typically advise you that you need to depart Australia before the visa is granted.

If you are applying in your home country, you will typically have to attend an interview, so you will need to factor that in before you travel to Australia., as it may be cheaper to wait for the visa at home rather than travel to Australia and then having to come back home to attend the interview.

It may have been easier to actually apply onshore as that would have guaranteed that there are no interruptions to your studies.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That's incorrect. You can carry out further studies on this visa and that is effectively what postgraduate research is.

In response to the OP's query - Why did you apply for a student visa? You could have carried out further studies on your 476 visa, without the need to apply for an additional visa, particularly if your visa is valid for the duration of your postgraduate studies.

If you apply offshore, then you will need to be outside Australia at the time of visa grant. Your visa application will still be processed but a case officer will typically advise you that you need to depart Australia before the visa is granted.

If you are applying in your home country, you will typically have to attend an interview, so you will need to factor that in before you travel to Australia., as it may be cheaper to wait for the visa at home rather than travel to Australia and then having to come back home to attend the interview.

It may have been easier to actually apply onshore as that would have guaranteed that there are no interruptions to your studies.

That's wht i was wondering, I thought 476 (also allows Study & unconditional work as mentioned in DIAC website) is a better one than 574, isnt it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True. And additionally they say that this visa has unlimited study and work permissions.

Yes, some days after the grant, I was also granted for a PHD position. The student visa will allow me to be there for 4 years (so more than 18 months). And additionally I'd be eligible for a bridged visa after I finished the PHD due to recent student visa changes.

Yes, that is what I wanted to know. Thanks. To leave the country should not be a big problem. It should only not be canceled. Do you have any source where I can read about this? Did you find this on the DIAC websites?

I'm born in Iran and live in Germany. So they can be sure I will not be a refugee there. The CO in Berlin has already told me that everything for the visa is finished and she doesn't need additional information. The only problem is the security check. They are always very careful with Iranians and that makes it take a lot of time. That is indeed the whole problem of my case. The CO only waits for ASIO, to finally grant my visa. ASIO check can be between 2 minutes and 4 years :eek:

Yes that is also a problem :ranger: To apply for a student visa onshore you must hold a qualifying visa. 476 is not qualifying. That is actually stupid because 476 allows me to start a PHD but not to finish it. I would have to leave the country after 18 months and apply for a student visa offshore. Do I see that wrongly? Any hints on that issue?

cheers :) :clap2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.