Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a summary of what we can expect after the six-month national state of alarm ends next month.

Basically, apart from mask-wearing (which was made law nationally last week) each region will have to get a court ruling to impose restrictions like closing provincial borders or introducing curfews, under a 1986 public health law.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here's a summary of what we can expect after the six-month national state of alarm ends next month.

Basically, apart from mask-wearing (which was made law nationally last week) each region will have to get a court ruling to impose restrictions like closing provincial borders or introducing curfews, under a 1986 public health law.

As much as I would like to think that there will be a substantial shift towards easing of the current restrictions, I rather suspect that the regions will continue to restrict movement across Spain. There might be some tinkering with opening hours, private social gatherings and allowing travel within the regions but not beyond, that, regardless of what the law allows.

·
Registered
U.K.
8,891 Posts
Question...can you travel across regions for airport pickups??

·
Registered
U.K.
8,891 Posts
Yes if you have an authorisation from the police. (Not sure which police, probably varies according to where you are like most things!)
Thanks for that. I think it's Guardia civil here. When I had chemo during lockdown and we weren't allowed to leave village the Dr gave me a letter stating I had chemo treatment and my husband would have to make two trips to take me and then later to pick me up , each session was six hours.we were stopped but waved through as soon as the letter was read.
Daughter still hoping for June 1st. I'm not but trying to cover all bases

·
Registered
97 Posts

I sincerely hope I'm wrong but I don't think they will lift the state of alarm in May. The main reason for this is the speed in which the vaccine is being administered. From my understanding, because these vaccines are EUA (Emergency Use Authorisation) they cannot be administered outside of a pandemic like situation. Unless of course each region can impose their own state of alarm.

Again, this is from my understanding and I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I sincerely hope I'm wrong but I don't think they will lift the state of alarm in May. The main reason for this is the speed in which the vaccine is being administered. From my understanding, because these vaccines are EUA (Emergency Use Authorisation) they cannot be administered outside of a pandemic like situation. Unless of course each region can impose their own state of alarm.

I agree, you make a good point.

·
Administrator
36,395 Posts

I don't think that the individual comunidades can impose their own state of alarm.

Certainly even during the current national one, they have still needed permission from central govt if they have wanted to impose a 'lockdown' - which iirc none have been given permission for since the end of the national one.

The current national state of alarm gives individual comunidades some limited powers with regard to curfews & so on.

·
Registered
U.K.
8,891 Posts
I don't think that the individual comunidades can impose their own state of alarm.

Certainly even during the current national one, they have still needed permission from central govt if they have wanted to impose a 'lockdown' - which iirc none have been given permission for since the end of the national one.

The current national state of alarm gives individual comunidades some limited powers with regard to curfews & so on.
But is the poster correct re vaccinations can only be given under s state of alarm,?

·
Administrator
36,395 Posts
But is the poster correct re vaccinations can only be given under s state of alarm,?
That I don't know.

I suspect that possibly the jab could only be approved during the estado de alarma, but once approved, it's approved.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is the direct quote taken from the FDA website.

Again, this is from my understanding and I hope I am wrong. We will have to wait and see if they extend the state of alarm or not.

"What is an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA)?

An Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) is a mechanism to facilitate the availability and use of medical countermeasures, including vaccines, during public health emergencies, such as the current COVID-19 pandemic. Under an EUA, FDA may allow the use of unapproved medical products, or unapproved uses of approved medical products in an emergency to diagnose, treat, or prevent serious or life-threatening diseases or conditions when certain statutory criteria have been met, including that there are no adequate, approved, and available alternatives. Taking into consideration input from the FDA, manufacturers decide whether and when to submit an EUA request to FDA."

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-12 at 12.33.18.jpeg

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
What the FDA says is not relevant as we are not living in the USA. The EMA don't refer to it as being authorised for emergency use, they call it conditional marketing authorisation, which is what the vaccines currently being used in Europe have been granted.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
My understanding is that the State of Alarm will be lifted as planned and that this is seen as a necesity by the national administration.

Can you imagine the uproar from the opposition groups if they tried to prolong it? It would be political suicide to keep it in place.

As has been stated already, the State of Alarm just alters the split of power and administrative capacities of the central government and the autonomous communities, it temporarily alters the constitution of you like, but the administration of the vaccine was always a national program rolled out at CA level and I don't believe that this will change at all becasue that was not a competence introduced by the State of Alarm.

·
Registered
U.K.
8,891 Posts
What the FDA says is not relevant as we are not living in the USA. The EMA don't refer to it as being authorised for emergency use, they call it conditional marketing authorisation, which is what the vaccines currently being used in Europe have been granted.

Makes more sense... after all, they say boosters will be required on the basis of it only being given under state of alarm they'll be declared every year !

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
My understanding is that the State of Alarm will be lifted as planned and that this is seen as a necesity by the national administration.

Can you imagine the uproar from the opposition groups if they tried to prolong it? It would be political suicide to keep it in place.

As has been stated already, the State of Alarm just alters the split of power and administrative capacities of the central government and the autonomous communities, it temporarily alters the constitution of you like, but the administration of the vaccine was always a national program rolled out at CA level and I don't believe that this will change at all becasue that was not a competence introduced by the State of Alarm.
I think it is also relevant that vaccination is not compulsory, people are free to choose whether they keep their vaccination appointment or not. It is not something that has been imposed on them by the State of Alarm.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I think it is also relevant that vaccination is not compulsory, people are free to choose whether they keep their vaccination appointment or not.
Exactly. There was some discussion about whether Galica as CA had the competence to pass a law which could have made accepting the vaccination a legal obligation. But I think this has never been enacted so is purely academic (currently).

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

They have no choice, that's when the current Estado de Alarma expires. The government would have to vote in a new one, and that ain't gonna happen.

It doesn't affect the vaccine programme at all.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
So with the measures to be applied to control Covid being controlled by the CAs again as of 9th May, what do we each think will happen in our Regions?

I note that in Cataluña, the Govern has amended the laws to allow it to put greater control in the case of pandemias so they are likely to still have limits on the number of peope who can meet, limits on occupation of bars, restaurants, churches etc. and the curfew also. So not much will change there unless the law gets overturned by challenges from the opposition.

In Madrid I'm not sure that there will be much initiative to continue with any measure except for token efforts to keep the Ministry of Health happy. We already don't have any perimitral closure so as long as either Castilla La Mancha or Castilla y Lean opens thier border we will get free movement back.
I expect that we will still see some restrictions in movement locally (if individual sanitary catchment areas have excesive infection rates), but it remains to be seen if they will really apply the restrictions to the more affluent areas. The curfew was not really policed in Madrid much anyway as far as I can see. Almost certainly bars and restaurants will be open longer and with more customers, so we can certainly expect to see a further rise in cases.

What about others?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts