1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what happened on January 9th??????

Written by Lenox Napier on a blog

Saturday 09 January 2010 - 21:35:08
Around two hundred sympathisers and friends of Helen and Len Prior showed up at their place in Vera this evening to mark the second anniversary of the demolition of the Prior's home. Since then, the couple has lived in their garage, converted for human use. Many brought candles, and a bonfire was lit, the fire symbolically located in the middle of the bald concrete floor, all that remains of the original house. Wood, some of it leavings from the garden, still lovingly cared for by Helen, kept the bonfire reaching high into the sky, amid a shower of sparks.
Many of those present are used to candles. They, too, have no electric or running water. They may have come from Zurgena, or Albox, or Arboleas or Cantoria, but they, too, will know the stress of living for years in doubt about their homes and their future.
Helen gave a short speech, followed by another from Maura Hillen, the secretary of the AUAN, reminding those present of their efforts and the coming demonstration in Almeria City on Monday.
The microphone passed to another lady, who began to sing the old songs of the Blitz. Everybody joined in. We shall never surrender.

Demolition Postponed in Vera
Saturday 09 January 2010 - 11:28:15

The demolition of the Spanish-owned house in Vera, in the neighborhood of Len and Helen Prior, has been postponed after m'learnéd council provided last-minute legal arguments.

NOTICE from AULAN. There is still time to book your seat on the coach for the demonstration on Monday the 11th January, from Vera at 10-am and Los Gallardos at 10-20am. Cost: 6 euros.
Telephone Joyce at 950 069 558, email [email protected]

·
Administrator
36,528 Posts
So, what happened on January 9th??????

Written by Lenox Napier on a blog

Saturday 09 January 2010 - 21:35:08
Around two hundred sympathisers and friends of Helen and Len Prior showed up at their place in Vera this evening to mark the second anniversary of the demolition of the Prior's home. Since then, the couple has lived in their garage, converted for human use. Many brought candles, and a bonfire was lit, the fire symbolically located in the middle of the bald concrete floor, all that remains of the original house. Wood, some of it leavings from the garden, still lovingly cared for by Helen, kept the bonfire reaching high into the sky, amid a shower of sparks.
Many of those present are used to candles. They, too, have no electric or running water. They may have come from Zurgena, or Albox, or Arboleas or Cantoria, but they, too, will know the stress of living for years in doubt about their homes and their future.
Helen gave a short speech, followed by another from Maura Hillen, the secretary of the AUAN, reminding those present of their efforts and the coming demonstration in Almeria City on Monday.
The microphone passed to another lady, who began to sing the old songs of the Blitz. Everybody joined in. We shall never surrender.

Demolition Postponed in Vera
Saturday 09 January 2010 - 11:28:15

The demolition of the Spanish-owned house in Vera, in the neighborhood of Len and Helen Prior, has been postponed after m'learnéd council provided last-minute legal arguments.

NOTICE from AULAN. There is still time to book your seat on the coach for the demonstration on Monday the 11th January, from Vera at 10-am and Los Gallardos at 10-20am. Cost: 6 euros.
Telephone Joyce at 950 069 558, email [email protected]
hmmmm

I wonder if the situation is quite the same for the Spanish-owned house?

ie same permissions etc.

I suspect not, unless it's just that the appeals & so on with the Prior's house is making them extra-careful

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I guess we'll have to see if it gets any media coverage. I think Lenox felt that we were just winding him up and not taking him seriously.

I'd be interested in seeing what happened and more interested to see if it helped the cause. I may not have aggreed with the methods or the reasons behind it all, but I wouldnt want to see any of these people homeless.

Jo xxx

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
....... just found this

Corruption in Spain

Jo xxx
Luis Caporrós Mirón is a Natural de Rambla de Oria ,he was born there. Then he must know all his friend's and neighbours, some in parternership with Brits., who built houses on infilled land that subsequently subsided, converted garages and Naves to sell on to unsuspecting foreigners. Or did he never go home ? I looked all round there, Oria, Oria Rambla, Chirivel,Albox, and stayed in some they were trying to sell me but it didn't do anything for me and the more we looked the more you could see they were up to all sorts of tricks. The only thing I'd have bought would have been an old, existing hose.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
the more we looked the more you could see they were up to all sorts of tricks. The only thing I'd have bought would have been an old, existing hose.
Quite. So....why weren't those other people deterred, I wonder?
As I suspected, the legal route is the way to go and probably the only way which will bring results.
No-one involved in the anti-demolition campaign has considered the views of the majority who went through all the necessary legal and other formalities and probably spent more money to ensure that their property would never be threatened by demolition.
As for spirit of the blitz....probably evoked by many people who have never heard a bomb blast..
I suggest we organise a petition to get Vera Lynn involved.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
I guess we'll have to see if it gets any media coverage. I think Lenox felt that we were just winding him up and not taking him seriously.

Jo xxx
It's hard to take anyone seriously who makes unsupported claims and evades answering questions.
It doesn't help either when you appear to be concentrating on 'Northern Europeans' and suggest separate groups for 'white' and 'black' South Africans and non-Spanish Europeans (from posts on The Olive Press)..
I googled Ciudanos Europeos which seems to be a sensible middkle -of -the road Liberal Democrat type party. I wouldn't have thought that such a party would support any type of segregation or exclusion based on race or nationality.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
I've just had an e-mail from a Dutch rental agency offering properties for rent in Cattral. They got my details when I posted on another forum expressing my surprise at the low cost of renting in that area.
The e-mail contained photos of 'large luxurious' four-bed four-bath villas, 2000m square plots, large swimming-pools.....for 500 and 600 euros a month exclusive. From the photos it was clear that these villas were part of a development built in what was obviously a rural area. All were new and unoccupied.
Now I'm as keen as anyone to get a bargain and I don't know anything about property values in that area but I do believe that if something looks too good to be true it usually is.
So if I were so rash as to relocate to Cattral - not a very attractive-looking area - I would not be surprised to have a demolition order served on me at some point in the future.

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As for spirit of the blitz....probably evoked by many people who have never heard a bomb blast..
I suggest we organise a petition to get Vera Lynn involved.
Priceless!! Love that comment!:D

Now before lenox and others get hot under the collar, I would like to reiterate my sympathy and best wishes for the Priors and others. However, as well meaning as this action has been I can't see it getting into national press or noticed by the general population unless other action, as suggested I believe in the other thread about Jan 9th, is incorporated

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Priceless!! Love that comment!:D

Now before lenox and others get hot under the collar, I would like to reiterate my sympathy and best wishes for the Priors and others. However, as well meaning as this action has been I can't see it getting into national press or noticed by the general population unless other action, as suggested I believe in the other thread about Jan 9th, is incorporated
Yes, something more positive is needed if anyone is to take notice, some call on the JDA or the Government which they have to at least consider.. But I still think each case needs to be examined carefully as there seems no doubt, as Jo's OH said, that many of these people knew what they were getting into. It even seems odd that the Priors have been left a 'garage'. An e-mail I received suggested that they had received permission to build a small structure such as a storage shed and not a house but I have seen no proof of this. Even LN admitted that some people knew their buildings were illegal -see previous threads and Tallulah's outraged response to a post explaining this on 'Catholic/Moorish' practices.;)
One thing I have seen though: on another forum, a woman who has been here five years says she hates every minute of life in this 'hell hole'. She says she is trying to sell her house which she admits is not legal -presumably to some gullible 'Northern European' looking for a cut-price dream home in the sun.
I find it hard to have much sympathy for people like that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Good old Mypeg, still trying to make me out as a racist.
May I use 'a naughty word' followed by 'you'?
Tomorrow the march - probably in the rain.
Inglés y español codo a codo.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Not sure about racist Lenox, I'd say elitist, judging by some of your writings on other sites LOL

Jo xxx

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
I do not think you are a racist. If I did I would not lower myself to respond to you.
But -and you have yourself admitted in posts on other threads here -that you have used language that could be described as 'careless' and open to misinterpretation. You posted:

Well the white South African is clearly taken out of context - as you would no doubt know (I was talking about different people's - yours too - interpretation of 'Europeans', 'foreigners', 'ingleses' and so on and so forth). Anyway - apologies to all offended.
As far as 'non-Spanish Europeans' (I mean 'foreigners', no hold on, uh, Brits and Welsh, no... Germans and well, how about Canadians..?)

I could also post your quotes from the Telegraph.

However, you were gracious enough to realise that this kind of language -who sets up separate groups for white and black South Africans these days?? - is outdated and open to misinterpretation.
My problem with you is that you don't debate. You make statements, someone knowledgeable disproves them, you make further inaccurate statements and eventually justify yourself with strange comments such as the one that upset Tallulah:

There is a philosophy here (being, essentially a moorish/catholic tradition) to cut corners which, generally, doesn't matter much

Did you realise when you wrote that that you were essentially saying 'Well, yes, they flouted the rules, but hey, this is Spain, they don't have our standards'?
Maybe some Spaniards, like some Brits, don't but it seems that some at least are trying to implement existing rules.
I started out knowing nothing about this issue and had a great deal of sympathy for every one affected. It seems though that not everyone should be treated in the same way and this is my position..
I think you will not get the support you need to help those who are 'innocent' parties if you lump everyone together and persist with this Northern European
division.
In short, I don't think you are going about this in the right way and I wish you were not the only spokesperson for the cause I have heard. Others may be more persuasive.
But I hope the weather stays fine for tomorrow. Are you handing in any kind of letter with the points you wish addressed set out?
And if so, to whom?

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do wish the Priors etc a happy ending, but I wonder about the way these events are focussed. Here you say Inglés y español codo a codo. But here is an opinion which you expressed on another forum which to my way of thinking expresses a different way of looking at events.

"Expect (once again) a large throng of elderly Brits in carpet slippers and walking canes interrupting the traffic of our fine city of Almería. Many of the demonstrators will stop somewhere for a beer or a pee-break, but the speeches promise to be good.
Also expect a full Spanish press black-out about the event. If you want to see it on TV - you'll probably have to tune, once again, to SKY..."

Does that sound like news for the national press? Does it sound like an non attention grabbing event? Does it sound like you're taking the pee out of these people? Does it sound like Brits against Spain?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The Spanish press has certainly made a good splash on this event (there was no reporting last year). An article in El País this morning, another in the Sunday (crónica supplement) in El Mundo yesterday.
The Izquierda Unida has publicly announced it is joining in which may have changed things and which prompts the 'codo a codo' reference.
Indeed, let's hope for a good turn-out.
You can read the AUAN's website if you want another spokesperson.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
The Spanish press has certainly made a good splash on this event (there was no reporting last year). An article in El País this morning, another in the Sunday (crónica supplement) in El Mundo yesterday.
The Izquierda Unida has publicly announced it is joining in which may have changed things and which prompts the 'codo a codo' reference.
Indeed, let's hope for a good turn-out.
You can read the AUAN's website if you want another spokesperson.
As stated so many times on here, what the group need is not only a good and effective spokesperson to head their campaign, but someone who understands the rules (or lack of them) and each individual case. Cos they're all different. Lets face it, there are some blatant irregularities with a lot of these illegal homes and people who knew what they were doing was wrong, but hoped they'd get away with it!

Ultimately tho, all this campaigning and disharmony is not helping anyone at all! What is needed is a solution - I dont think compensation would work cos most of those people wouldnt have the correct purchasing receipts would they - cos as I've said before, its customary to purchase properties here with a sizable amount of cash - I doubt that would be compensated for since it in itself is an illegal act!!!

I would like to see the EU and the governments getting involved and working out a correct and fair policy for, those people, for now and for the future

Jo xxx

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I would like to see the EU and the governments getting involved and working out a correct and fair policy for, those people, for now and for the future

Jo xxx
Yes, and since Spain has just assumed the reins of the EU presidency for the next six months, now would probably be the ideal time to campaign seriously for such a policy and put pressure on the government via the EU to help bring about change.

Caz.I

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
As stated so many times on here, what the group need is not only a good and effective spokesperson to head their campaign, but someone who understands the rules (or lack of them) and each individual case. Cos they're all different. Lets face it, there are some blatant irregularities with a lot of these illegal homes and people who knew what they were doing was wrong, but hoped they'd get away with it!

Jo xxx
Way to go, girl:love:
This issue which involves the possible loss of their homes by people who are in some cases elderly and of limited means is a very serious one and any campaign must be focused and aimed at gathering the maximum support from those not directly concerned.
The spokesperson (s) must be in possession of all the facts and be able to present a strong case. S/he must also IMO be of good standing and widely respected in the community. It is very easy to discredit someone - and by association their cause -because of their careless utterances or some other controversy in which they have become embroiled.
Lenox' intemperate language will not help the cause and I understand from the blog he directed us to has landed him in hot water in connection with another issue, with threats of action for defamation.
Responsible people do not throw around words such as 'fraud' 'corruption' and so on without concrete proof that would stand up in a court of law. Neither do they allow themselves to be misquoted by the media.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.