Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I currently live in Michigan, USA. My mother is from Spain so I am a dual citizen. I visit Spain about every year but I have lived in the USA my whole life.

My question is;

Since I have dual citizenship, what kind of paperwork do I need to live and work in Spain?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
You say you have dual citizenship - do you have a Spanish passport then? If not, then you only really have the RIGHTS to dual citizenship.

Also, don't be confused between citizenship and residency.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
If you hold a Spanish passport and DNI then you don't have to do anything except get on a plane and come on over.

Otherwise, you need to get your citizenship formalized first at your nearest Spanish consulate. Talk to them directly to see what paperwork you need to make that happen.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Also Spain does not recognise dual citizenships, you would be required to ditch your US citizenship when you apply. Although that may be more symbolic than anything else.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Also Spain does not recognise dual citizenships, you would be required to ditch your US citizenship when you apply. Although that may be more symbolic than anything else.
This thread is getting stale, but I've got to point out for posterity that Spain does recognize many dual citizenships.

As mentioned earlier, the Spanish consulates would have all the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts