Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
it depends where you live in uk! all towns citys and villages are different!! some areas high crime rate! some areas low crome rate! some areas have many things to do! some dont!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I'm from the south of England and now live in Spain. I didnt like the UK cos it was overcrowded, too many cars, too many people, too many people sponging off the state, too many buildings, few open spaces, nanny state, grey weather, grey people and grey buildings, too much PCness....... I cant think of anything particularly good about it, apart from the road markings, they seem to be very clear and easy to see, especially at night!?!

Jo xxx

·
Administrator
50,417 Posts
Likes and dislikes for any country depend alot on where you are coming from and what your situation is. I know I loved living in the UK when I was there, in large part because I had a super job and worked with a really great bunch of people at the time. I also made out like a bandit, because I had an expat package that was excellent - and also kept me out of most of the political/tax issues that seem to annoy most folks there these days.

The weather is probably one of the big minuses - lots of rain and clouds, though I'm told London gets more total days of sun in a year than Paris does.

Another factor is probably that I grew up in New England, where the culture is similar in many ways to that of "Old England" - so it wasn't much of a culture shock.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
im lookin for a perfect country :)
and ive never been there.
I dont think there is one !!! :) Countries are like people .... even the best ones have some flaws ..... but it might be nice travelling around the World just trying to find one.

Sue :plane:

·
Registered
13 Posts
"I had an expat package that was excellent"

Bevdeforges, can you elaborate on this quote a little more? I am starting to negotiate the specifics of my relocation package and any advice would help.....especially in the tax arena.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bad:
- horrible weather most of the year
- horrible weather = miserable people
- work before play, always
- Knife crime and gang culture influenced by America is pretty much everywhere in the UK

Good:
- Lots of history
- Quite a few nice areas to live (that come at a price)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bad:
- horrible weather most of the year
- horrible weather = miserable people
- work before play, always
- Knife crime and gang culture influenced by America is pretty much everywhere in the UK

Good:
- Lots of history
- Quite a few nice areas to live (that come at a price)

i see ur in australia, so how do you like it there?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm from the south of England and now live in Spain. I didnt like the UK cos it was overcrowded, too many cars, too many people, too many people sponging off the state, too many buildings, few open spaces, nanny state, grey weather, grey people and grey buildings, too much PCness....... I cant think of anything particularly good about it, apart from the road markings, they seem to be very clear and easy to see, especially at night!?!

Jo xxx
Couldn't agree with you more about England. Just curious though; how is the situation in Spain? the PC and nanny state similar? I'm hoping not.

·
Administrator
50,417 Posts
Bevdeforges, can you elaborate on this quote a little more? I am starting to negotiate the specifics of my relocation package and any advice would help.....especially in the tax arena.

Thanks!
Depending on the size of the company you work for, there may be a standard expat package already in place and the negotiations will be minimal. However, there is a big difference between an "expat package" and a "relocation package."

An expat package is normally part of a "temporary" transfer - anything from a few months to a limit of about 5 years - and is based on the idea that you will be returning to your home country and the same employer at the end of the expat assignment.

A relocation package is a one-way transfer designed to get you on site at the new job, settle you in, and then you're on your own.

Tax benefits are more likely with an expat package, and may include "tax equalization" which reimburses you for any additional taxes you have to pay due to expat benefits (i.e. housing, a car, tax assistance, etc.). They may also arrange to do both your local and US taxes (in the case of a US citizen transferred abroad).

On a relocation package, you might ask for tax assistance your first year, but it's normally assumed you will figure out on your own how to handle your taxes - both local and US.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more about England. Just curious though; how is the situation in Spain? the PC and nanny state similar? I'm hoping not.
Not a pc and nanny state :) but difficult in other ways! the Spanish love their paperwork and rubber stamps so anything you need to register or access is a looooooooooooong drawn out process and mighty frustrating!!!!!! WE obviously have great weather through the summer, but be under no illusion - Spain is COLD in winter and wet wet wet! and I live on the costa del sol!! At the moment its probably more difficult here in a lot of ways than it is in the UK given that unemployment is running at just under 20% eeek!!!!

But I love it here and wouldnt go back to the UK :ranger:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't like the weather, some people look very happy while some feels that the world is not fun. Like the many road signs as well but the roads are smaller, I wonder how the big cars users scheme through when paasing another big car. organised transport system, constant electric power but U have got to watch ur usage. You pay for everything and watch your back so that you don't commit a crime even when you didn't know that it is a crime, you will have to answer a lot of questions.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Not a pc and nanny state :) but difficult in other ways! the Spanish love their paperwork and rubber stamps so anything you need to register or access is a looooooooooooong drawn out process and mighty frustrating!!!!!! WE obviously have great weather through the summer, but be under no illusion - Spain is COLD in winter and wet wet wet! and I live on the costa del sol!! At the moment its probably more difficult here in a lot of ways than it is in the UK given that unemployment is running at just under 20% eeek!!!!

But I love it here and wouldnt go back to the UK :ranger:

You took the words right out of my mouth Sue!!

Spain hasnt yet got seriously into political correctness or the nanny state altho I suspect its heading that way and there are signs of feeble efforts being made, altho I get the feeling the Spanish people are a lot more rebellious and headstrong than the down trodden british and wont accept it easily!??

Jo xxx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tom, you said it all. After all the teachings from foundation to high school about being sociable. 90% of people you see looks miserable and not friendly at all.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Tom, you said it all. After all the teachings from foundation to high school about being sociable. 90% of people you see looks miserable and not friendly at all.
Although I dont know for sure cos I live in Spain now (altho sometimes distance enables you to see things as they are), the British people are very down trodden and "beaten" Their spark has gone. It seems to me that brits are known for their ability to moan and be miserable. The weather there doesnt help!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You took the words right out of my mouth Sue!!

Spain hasnt yet got seriously into political correctness or the nanny state altho I suspect its heading that way and there are signs of feeble efforts being made, altho
I get the feeling the Spanish people are a lot more rebellious and headstrong than the down trodden british and wont accept it easily!
??

Jo xxx
I do think this is partly a historic issue rather than a countries personality trait though .... there a still a couple of generations of Spanish who lived under Franco after the civil war and the "release" for a lot of people after he died is still being felt ..... and acted out! the Brits have never had to suffer under a dictatorship for years like they did here (thank god!!) .... so the general Spanish population do have a lot more rebellion in them when being told what to do!!!

Sue x :ranger:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.