Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read through 5herry's and indoMLA's threads and it strikes me that people are getting upset at the slightest of things these days, all this honoUr and the like, it's all political correctness gone mad.

Now I've been called everything and worse, from a misogynistic (thanks Hubs) to a mackem!

However the one thing that really annoys me is being called anything but English, that includes welsh, scottish, oirish, you name it, abuse me by saying that I don't have the body of Adonis, or may have the odd shandy too many, but don't ever tell me I'm anything but English.

What's your pet hate?

(Oh, and keep it good humoured, that is the way I've started this thread).

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Heck, this is a topic that'll need watching lol!!!

As for what I'm called - I answer to Jo!! However, I'll answer to anything and if people want to offend me by calling me something nasty - well they can try, but I'm not interested in having a fight over it! I guess in the end its about being comfortable in your own skin.

A girl at work called me a F****** C** the other day. Did it bother me, no not really cos her opinion doesnt matter to me and it says more about her than it does me

Jo xxx

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I don't like being called Sir by people who don't mean it, which is most people in Dubai.

When you're called Sir in business class on British Airways, or by a tailor in Harrods, you know they mean it, you feel like a Sir.

Here, it's over used to the point where it's lost all meaning. I also feel slightly patronised when security guards, etc, call me "Boss". No idea why though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The most annoying/funniest (depends on my mood) one is when my name is pronounced Bar-belly! Heck, I haven't even made it to a TND night yet!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I don't like being called Sir by people who don't mean it, which is most people in Dubai.

When you're called Sir in business class on British Airways, or by a tailor in Harrods, you know they mean it, you feel like a Sir.

Here, it's over used to the point where it's lost all meaning. I also feel slightly patronised when security guards, etc, call me "Boss". No idea why though.
Boss usually annoys the sh** out of me. I agree 100% about Sir, there are times when you feel that it is offered respectfully, but here it has lost meaning.

One thing that bothers me here is that there is that people will never treat you as someone familiar. If I go to a business frequently and am recognized by the staff I want them to call me by my first name and I will tell them that. They never will, it is still sir or (even more annoying) Mr. [First Name]. In the US the staff at the Cafe calls me by my name or at a restaurant I go to often. Makes you feel welcome.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I, too, hate being called "Sir."

Mostly because I am a woman. And I suppose my husband appreciates being called "Ma'am" about the same.

Also, "Sir-Ma'am" and "Ma'am-Sir."

I'd say these go to demonstrate the above claims that the terms have been rendered meaningless 'round these parts.

Some days I also dislike being called "Mom." But that is only when I am in a very particular mood.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just read through 5herry's and indoMLA's threads and it strikes me that people are getting upset at the slightest of things these days, all this honoUr and the like, it's all political correctness gone mad.

Now I've been called everything and worse, from a misogynistic (thanks Hubs) to a mackem!

However the one thing that really annoys me is being called anything but English, that includes welsh, scottish, oirish, you name it, abuse me by saying that I don't have the body of Adonis, or may have the odd shandy too many, but don't ever tell me I'm anything but English.

What's your pet hate?

(Oh, and keep it good humoured, that is the way I've started this thread).
You already found my pet hate!

·
Registered
362 Posts
There are lots of ways to spell my first name, and lots of ways to shorten it, but the only one I really don't like is Kath.

Completely agree on the Ma'am-Sir thing.

Slightly off-topic but I have also been told numerous times since I moved here that I look like Barbie. Possibly meant to be complimentary but there are a lot of negative connotations too...

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I also don't like being called sir! Again, because I am a woman. Equally, I really hate being called Ma'am or Madam. I always want to tell the person calling me that, that I don't run a brothel! I won't even get into how many people here manage to shorten my given name, which I already shorten, to a man's name!

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Ohh boy you don't have much to complain about in life if it being called sir or madam annoys you.

Filipinos call you sir or madam as a mark of respect they also call each other sister, uncle auntie for the same reason, plus of course it is a ME/Arab thing... I have two doctor friends who when meeting each other social say.. Dr Hany, Dr Ishmail and how many people do you know that get addresses as Engineer Ali? Plus of course it saves having to try and remember every ones name..

We are in the Arab world were things are done differently and just because it is not our way doesn't mean it is wrong.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don't think anyone is saying that it's wrong, just that it can be a bit irritating. Being called ma'am when I am on my own doesn't bother me in the slightest - but I don't particularly like being called "sir" or "ma'am-sir" when I am clearly female and alone! If it is intended as a mark of respect, getting someone's gender wrong has the opposite effect and comes across as either rude or patronising.

Either way, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I'll save that rage for the people who call me Kath or Barbie :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't mind being called Madam. Not keen on Sir-Madam or Ma'am-Sir or just Sir, because you know, I am a woman. My husband has always called me Madame as a term of endearment, and we've called people Sir out of respect even back in the States (hard to believe, maybe, but true). We also encourage our children to use a "title" like Mr./Ms., Uncle or Auntie to address adults, out of respect and affection. We apply the same use of Sir and Mr. to people around us regardless of their social "station." The watchman is Mr. Z, the gardener on the block is Mr. S, their tutor was Miss K and is now Auntie K as we've grown closer. To those who insist on calling us Sir and Madam, we always welcome them to use our names, but much of this is habit. And I'd hate for someone to get into trouble with their bosses for not addressing ME the way they're expected; I can roll with that.

I've been called Lalla or Sharifa, and I've called men Sidi and Sharif. Correct use in context never bothers me. I've been called Fatima on the street and have called Mohamed after someone I don't know when he dropped something behind him, because it was the normal thing in that context.

I just don't like being called Sir, as much as I don't like being called Dude or Man or Mister. Makes me wonder whether I really look that masculine. :p I hope not. I have a unisex name, so, you know, maybe I'm hypersensitive. :blabla:

And no, I don't know these phrases in Tagalog. Or Urdu, or Tamil...

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
My name has been butchered by people back home my entire life and they still don't get it right, so I guess I've grown accustomed to it now.

I also don't care about the people that use colourful adjectives to describe the way they think I am. That's their perception, their problem....I can't change that so won't bother trying :D

So I guess, I don't hate being called anything!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts