Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to Nantes at the end of January...

What do I have to do???

At the moment my plan is...

• book into a hostel for a few days for when I arrive
  • Look at a few appartments that I have come across online
  • try and get a job

Do I have to get a social security number set up or does an employer sort that for you?

What info will I need to set up a bank account bearing that I will have no accomodation or do I wait until I have accomodation set up?> This also begs the question of how do I prove that I have money to cover the next few months rent if I have no French account?

Are barwork jobs easy to come by?

Thanks

·
Administrator
51,532 Posts
Technically, it's the employer who is responsible for registering you for a social security number, but we've had several new arrivals to France report lately that their employers are making them go get their carte vitale themselves. In any event, it's up to the employer to make the first move by filing the paperwork.

Setting up a bank account usually requires you show proof of identity, residence and three months' worth of payslips. As far as renting a flat goes, you'll likely be asked for a guarantor (i.e. a co-signer who can meet the landlord's income requirements if you don't). You might be able to work something out to pre-pay a number of months' rent - but don't forget you'll probably need one or two months' rent for the deposit, and another months' rent for the agent's commission.

How easy it is to pick up barwork can depend on lots of factors - including how well you speak French.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.