Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT "DID YOU" or "DO YOU" TAKE FOR GRANTED AND " DOING WITHOUT NOW" ???

Probably old subject matter to " old subjects" but I'm not one and would like to hear a take on this! I'm not using this as a " bash ph" thread as I love it here, but better to laugh at what used to be so "important" or so " ordinary" to Americans and others and get it out to share. How about I start with the idea " if it cost the same right as wrong, then I'll just have mine right! Restaurants in particularly American pizza versions are the worst! Wow. Seems the ph customers are so timid or kind that no matter the delivery condition in a restaurant they just look, have sort of blank face and take whatever. Although I don't eat Pizza Hut in USA I just assumed would have a reasonable sort of pizza more or less to serve up in Ph.... NO WAY! So now I NEVER go to Pizza Hut! Bad. My solution is Ph and independent pizzerias! What else.......?:)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Probably old subject matter to " old subjects" but I'm not one and would like to hear a take on this! I'm not using this as a " bash ph" thread as I love it here, but better to laugh at what used to be so "important" or so " ordinary" to Americans and others and get it out to share. How about I start with the idea " if it cost the same right as wrong, then I'll just have mine right! Restaurants in particularly American pizza versions are the worst! Wow. Seems the ph customers are so timid or kind that no matter the delivery condition in a restaurant they just look, have sort of blank face and take whatever. Although I don't eat Pizza Hut in USA I just assumed would have a reasonable sort of pizza more or less to serve up in Ph.... NO WAY! So now I NEVER go to Pizza Hut! Bad. My solution is Ph and independent pizzerias! What else.......?:)
I haven't had any problems finding decent pizza here (several Fil-Am & Fil-Can Pizzerias). I DO HAVE issues with what is a Restaurant Management issue though! It still annoys me when the better part of a restaurant's printed menu is "unavailable!" Even after 7 years, It still bugs me!

The things I find myself missing are fresh Cherries (Bing and Rainier in particular) and cottage cheese!

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Issues

I think the thing that probably bugs me the most is wherever you go, the product you need and are looking for---that the store is supposed to carry is OUT OF STOCK!
This is especially true of life sustaining medications. Never mind that a person could and would die without the needed medications. The idiots either don't realize or simply don't care that they can not sell what they don't have :mad:!!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think the thing that probably bugs me the most is wherever you go, the product you need and are looking for---that the store is supposed to carry is OUT OF STOCK! This is especially true of life sustaining medications. Never mind that a person could and would die without the needed medications. The idiots either don't realize or simply don't care that they can not sell what they don't have :mad:!!!
Hmm, sadly true. I'm an insulin user and use a particularly difficult to find type. I buy from a pharmacy whose owner also uses that particular type. Even so I make sure to keep at least a two weeks "extra" supply on hand (I buy a month's worth at a time) and also call ahead to a) make sure its in stock and b) reserve a supply!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I want large potatoes so that i can make jacket potatoes, not sure if you have them in the states but i really do miss those.

Another thing i miss is good quality ATM machines that are not ALWAYS down. There are three in my local area and when i want money i get to the first one in Mercury "out of money" sign stuck to it, get to the second in 7/11 "no cash" sign stuck to it get to the third (on the street so i like to avoid if possible) and its not even switched on.

I have learnt that if one is down all three are going to be down and i have wasted my time walking there which takes 15 minutes lol.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I miss having a washer/dryer, warm water from a hot water heater, big potatoes, big onions, big tomatoes, big bananas, 'real' Italian food, and having my own transportation. I also miss a good sirloin steak with baked potato from Western Sizzlin' Steak House, Ryan's, and Fried Fish Filets from Capt'n D's and Long John Silver's Restaurants and Fried Catfish from David Beard's Catfish King Restaurant. I miss good Chicken and Beef Frijoles from Chili's Restaurant.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The 1 thing I miss most of all here is common sense and logic. You see it everyday somewhere. The biggest culprit is my mrs. Lol
I know exactly how you feel. My wife is the same, sometimes she will start to do things before her brain matter is engaged. I tell her or suggest to her that she should do this or that, which she doesn't do, or won't do, and she sometimes suffers for it. She calls me her 'one year old,' claiming I am 'hard headed.' Hah! My wife is 2X more hard headed than I am and the only thing that is more hard headed then she is is a Missouri Mule.:)

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
The 1 thing I miss most of all here is common sense and logic. You see it everyday somewhere. The biggest culprit is my mrs. Lol
I've been blessed with a wife that has excellent judgment and common sense. I just wish it extended to her family and was more common among the rest of the local population. Would make life much easier, safer, and better organized for everyone..

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
To me the biggest thing about the states that I miss is convenience. Always items in stock, always quality items available, fast checkouts, etc. etc.

I have got over not being able to get good bratwurst and cold cuts. I do accept the higher cost of cheese and shelf milk. I now eat less beef (due to cost and quality) and pork (due to the higher amount of fat).

So overall I think that I have adapted for the better. I appreciate the simpler life and do not have any of the stressors that I had back there. The stressors here are minor in comparison and I definitely have less headaches (literally) than I did in the states....

To live in the PI you need to have good pre-planning skills and think strategically. Like others have said, get items while in stock to get you buy during the dry periods of availability, etc. etc....

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
To me the biggest thing about the states that I miss is convenience. Always items in stock, always quality items available, fast checkouts, etc. etc.

I have got over not being able to get good bratwurst and cold cuts. I do accept the higher cost of cheese and shelf milk. I now eat less beef (due to cost and quality) and pork (due to the higher amount of fat).

So overall I think that I have adapted for the better. I appreciate the simpler life and do not have any of the stressors that I had back there. The stressors here are minor in comparison and I definitely have less headaches (literally) than I did in the states....

To live in the PI you need to have good pre-planning skills and think strategically. Like others have said, get items while in stock to get you buy during the dry periods of availability, etc. etc....
All good points and well said Jon----Thanks...

Reactions: overmyer

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, I have hot waterheaters, they take a little to get used to but I can scald myself. I have 220v floor heaters for the winter nights and I get those large potatoes you speak off. You think I am crazy?? Baguio in Nov-Feb gets down into the 40's and my old jackets, long sleeve shirts and the afore mentioned heaters come in real handy. I get the potatoes either at SM or a favorite stall in the open market. Yum yum.

·
Registered
534 Posts
There was one post I read, do not remember if it was this site or not. He ordered a steak cooked rare and was complaining about the flack he got from the waitress saying he should eat his meat cooked! She did give him good advice since the steak was NOT a USA graded steak! That is what I miss! Have to order my steaks over cooked!

·
Registered
331 Posts
There was one post I read, do not remember if it was this site or not. He ordered a steak cooked rare and was complaining about the flack he got from the waitress saying he should eat his meat cooked! She did give him good advice since the steak was NOT a USA graded steak! That is what I miss! Have to order my steaks over cooked!
LOL! First time I cooked burgers for the family, they kept coming by and peeking over my shoulder with worried looks. Later, when I asked my wife about it, she told me that they were making sure Icooked the patty all the way through as they had heard that Americans eat their meat bloody!

·
Registered
232 Posts
well bud beggars cant be choosers... Its not the same but its not that bad its just the quantity size is smaller.... then again so is the filipinos lol

1 - 20 of 53 Posts