Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has right of abode in her passport and her husband is a British passport holder. What would be the next step for her? does she apply for citizenship? if so when?

Also does someone who has right of abode need a spouse visa for their spouse or do they go along as a dependant? (separate case altogether)

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
It depends on how she got ROA. If she is really a British citizen (by descent or otherwise), she can just apply for her British passport. They still need spouse visa for their spouse/parter, and meet the financial requirement.
If she is a Commonwealth citizen, sometimes she can register as British if she got ROA through her British mother (but not citizenship because of restrictions on passing on nationality for females in the past).
ROA can be very complicated and she should consult an experienced professional advisor.

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
So she was, on 31st December 1982, a Commonwealth citizen and was married to a man who had the right of abode (in this case British citizen).
Is she a Zimbabwean?
To obtain British citizenship, she has to go through the normal naturalisation process as spouse of a British citizen, i.e. 3-year residence in UK (with limit of being out of UK), meeting English language requirement and passing the Life in the UK test.
Someone with the ROA needs to sponsor their non-EEA spouse under FM rules, with financial requirement etc.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Joppa, yes I imagine she was born in Rhodesia. It sounds all rather straight forward then. I'll pass the info on to her..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.