Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm just now moving to Salamanca and I'm torn between two apartments. One is more expensive but utilities are included. The other is cheaper, but I would have to pay electricity and water.

I'm slightly worried because I have no concept of utility bills in Spain. The stove is electric and I would assume I'd be using a lot of AC so I bet electric will be quite high. There is also a washing machine which I'm guessing will put a significant strain on both water and electric.

Any idea of what I could expect for utility bills?

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions.

I'd take a guess that you will be around 100 euros a month for an average sized apartment, and you're not hammering the AC all the time.

Water: maybe around 30 euros per month. Then again, if you like to take baths or 30 minute long showers.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions.

I'd take a guess that you will be around 100 euros a month for an average sized apartment, and you're not hammering the AC all the time.

Water: maybe around 30 euros per month. Then again, if you like to take baths or 30 minute long showers.....
Is 100 typical for a 1 bedroom apartment? Dios mio!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
If all your cooking, water heating and heating in winter is electric that would probably be about right averaged across the year. This is about what we pay although ours is 2 bedrooms but a very small town house.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Depends entirely on size of property, number of residents and usage.
Our water, electricty bills for.two people, fairly large house, pool, no air con needed in summer, monthly all- year average €250. not included in that, cost of gas bottles for supplementing winter heating, around €100.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That would be my 'guestimate'.

I think I personally would use less on my own. I'm not one for using air con, I constantly go around switching things off at home (this stems from a childhood being scolded for the house being 'like Blackpool illuminations lol). In the winter, I start putting on sweaters before I will turn on heating. I have my water heater on a timer for 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening for quick showers, washing the dishes etc. Other than that, the only thing that is on constantly is s small fridge.

But that's just me... the archetypal tight Scotsman :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not tight stevescot, why waste money on leccie when you can spend it on wine x
This is very true. And the one thing that is definitely cheaper in Spain is wine!

I've often though I'm slightly strange in my spending habits. I can quite happily spend most of the day at the beach with my cool box with sandwiches and water in it. I think it must come from growing up with there not being much money in the household. I've done the fancy car thing, and it gave me no joy, so I now run a van in the UK and an old Fiat in Spain. The simpler things are in life, the less can go wrong....:D

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I smile when reading this as ever since we have mentioned possible relocation to Spain- everyone says to us " cheap wine!!"

Well wifey doesn't drink and I am very much a lager inbiber. I have in 52 years tasted wine twice and just cannot get into it. Would love to- but I think it must be a very acquired taste and don't get me started as to asking wine buffs for recommendations- snobbery and bollox appear to abound!!!

Each to their own.

Anyway back to utilities topic and my research so far certainly shows lecky at least as expensive as at home, water varying widely in price across regions, gas remaining a mystery and utility costs overall certainly not cheap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts