Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been in France for 1 year on spouse visa, my visa expires on May 2nd 2015, i have a appoinment with the prefecture on June 29 with all my documents, what happens if i miss this appoiintment, will they deport me, or give me another date to come. I dont have all my documents i need yet, what will they do if i dont show up.

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
To be honest, they haven't been too aggressive about deporting folks lately. Probably your best approach would be to keep the appointment, but explain which documents you don't yet have and when you hope to get them.

Or, you could try to reschedule your appointment, explaining that you have not yet received the particular documents.

Best not, however, to just skip the appointment. Either keep it or reschedule it.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Yep, documents or not, 'not showing up' is the worst possible option. Just go and explain. They'll likely ask you when you expect to have all the documents, and re-schedule.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply to my question. So today i went to the prefecture in Nanterre and i didnt bring any documents with me cause the paper i have clearly states any missing documents means you will BE REJECTED. I didnt bring anything but my passport and my appointment paper and i explained to the man that my birth certificate is not translated into french yet. He tells me that you dont need this paper, i said WHAT, he said this is not your first time here, so its not needed, but i was told that is it is needed and on the document i have it says so, NO SIR YOU DONT NEED, VERY RUDE I MIGHT ADD.

So he is pissed off i didnt bring any of the requiered papers and said you will have to make another appointment, i said ok, so now its in the end of Octorber, cause we al know here July and August france is a ghost town and nothing gets done. Anyway thats out of the way and i dont have to worry for 4 months.

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
Oh, Mike.... what are we going to do with you? By now you should understand that you always go to any official appointment with whatever paperwork you do have, and a few extra pieces, just to, um, "baffle them with your brilliance."

In your case, the main thing they really NEED to verify is that you are still married to your French spouse and that you're still living together. That done, you could have had your paperwork accepted and in process. Oh well - better luck next time. Keep us posted.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your right i should have brought the papers with me. On the paper it says if one papers is missing you will be rejected, but i should have brought them. I went thru alot to get that birth certificate and i dont even need it. All is good i have 4 months now to see how things go here, thanks for your help.

Mike

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
MIke, if you stay in France you will need that birth certificate again.

But keep your eye on what's important. Being able to stay in France is important. Having extra paper you don't need is not important.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Mike can you please share what happens with your appointment in Nanterre after the visit?
I also have to apply for my 1st carte de sejour next year (currently I'm on my 1st spouse longstay visa) and also with Nanterre prefecture.
By the way I thought Nanterre prefecture doesn't take appointments for this? Like people just go and queue up for hours or something...

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
It has been a while since Mike was around - and last I knew I think he was headed back to California.

There also seem to have been a number of changes in the process of getting that first carte de séjour. Found the page for the prefecture at Nanterre: Toutes vos démarches. / Particulier / Vous êtes / Accueil - Les services de l'État dans les Hauts-de-Seine Evidently, you can now ask for a two-year card at the end of your first year in France. But it does look as though you have to go to the prefecture without an appointment.

Still, check back again just before the period they say you should apply for your carte de séjour (currently, 2 months before expiration of your visa). These things are continuing to evolve and there may be developments before you're due for making your application.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks so much Bev !
Somehow I misread the dates above and had the impression that the post was dated this year rather than 2015 (so I thought Mike has got his appointment this month).

·
Registered
42 Posts
While going through the website about documents required for getting the 1st (or renewal of) carte de sejour, I noted that acte de naissance is required, but it's not mentioned whether the acte de naissance needs to be from within 3 or 6 months? (I know here they often ask for acte de naissance from less than 3 months for French people and less than 6 months for foreigners).

Also at the bottom it mentions the validity of the carte de sejour is 1 year for a carte temporarire and 2 years for carte pluriannuelle - do I get to choose whether I wanna apply for a carte temporarire or carte pluriannuelle?

Thanks!!

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
Technically, they can only ask for a "current" acte de naissance (i.e. birth certificate) in situations where your marital status is involved. (Ex. your CDS is based on your marriage to a French person, or it's the kind that is based on your being married to an EU national) But in practice, it depends on your prefecture - some of which seem to interpret that particular technicality in a somewhat overly broad manner (or maybe they just haven't gotten the memo yet).

Somewhere on the Service Public site, they explain who is eligible for these (relatively new) carte pluriannuelle. Generally, it doesn't apply to your first carte de séjour, but only on renewal of a one-year carte. You can always ask - but I think there are specific criteria for the multi-year card.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
42 Posts
In fact I have many copies of my birth certificate here, for just in case I need them here (so far I've only used 1 for application for carte vitale). Problem is if they want a copy applied from within 3 or 6 months when I go to renew my titre de sejour (or 1st CDS) next year, then I'm gonna have to fly home just to get the acte de naissance... I wonder if this is what people have had to do, go home each year just to get a recent copy of the acte de naissance for renewal of their carte de sejour each year ? (Well until they got the 10y card or until they're naturalised)

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
In fact I have many copies of my birth certificate here, for just in case I need them here (so far I've only used 1 for application for carte vitale). Problem is if they want a copy applied from within 3 or 6 months when I go to renew my titre de sejour (or 1st CDS) next year, then I'm gonna have to fly home just to get the acte de naissance... I wonder if this is what people have had to do, go home each year just to get a recent copy of the acte de naissance for renewal of their carte de sejour each year ? (Well until they got the 10y card or until they're naturalised)
Why can't you get it online (or by mail)? Is this something peculiar to NZ? Or are you talking about getting it apostilled? If the latter, come someone else (eg. family member) do it for you?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah getting is apostilled. Not sure if my parents can do it on my behalf cuz normally you'd need to bring an ID. But gonna try and see if my parents can do that on my behalf or not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts