Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The embassy inquiry service has suggested (so long as the laws don't change) that to make it easier and less paperwork that our 13yo son who holds a german passport should still enter the UK as an EU citizen, he would be travelling with my mother in law who holds both German/British passport and would most likely enter on her German one because she's planning to head over to Germany afterwards but I'm not sure, I think we may meet the financial requirement just but I don't know what are your thoughts?

Also if he was interested how would recommend for my nephew to come into the UK how easy is it to get a Youth mobility visa or whatever it is called? I don't know if he would but it would be good to have that information.

TIA:)

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
From your earlier posts it appears you and family are planning to re-locate to the UK.

At one point you were looking at UK immigration rules and then EEU Family permit route.

So not sure which way you are going.

Are you suggesting your son enters the UK as an EU citizen with your mother in law with the intention to remain?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After a good talking to the Embassy I'm now not coming on the family permit yes we are looking to re-locate, and yes my son would be entering with the intention to stay but my mother in law is not (not that that matters she holds british citizenship anyway). And he would be arriving after myself and my husband are already there and have a house set up and ready to go.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wannabe uk that's what I am asking I am leaning towards getting him a visa but I just want to I guess be sure, he does hold German passport though so he could potentially enter as an eu citizen.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Wouldn't that only work if he was in your mother in laws care full time and they lived in and came from Germany?

I'm not sure how it works.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Your son can't come on his own to the UK regardless of his nationality, he needs somebody that will take care of him since he is a juvenile, so actually it all boils down to the parents having the necessary permits to move to the UK.

I don't understand what your mother in law has to do with any of this, what matters is who is responsible for this boy, not who brings him to the UK.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Hence my question - as it sounds as though the intent is for the son (a juvenile) to enter the UK with the mother in law and then for the son (who has a German passport) to remain in the county with the parents who are already in the country.

The parents will have entered under British immigration rules by the sounds of it.

I don't think that the son can enter as a juvenile with the intent of staying in the UK.

Poster, thought your husband was obtaining a German passport? So why the decision not to enter the UK under EEU rules?

·
Registered
581 Posts
But if the parents are entering under UK rules on their own, whatever those are, separately from the son, they have to follow the same rules to bring their son into the country.

I think the OP is asking the wrong question since it really doesn't matter who is accompanying the lad into the UK.

What is the nationality of the father? If he is EEA he can claim EEA family rights and bring their son under those rules, anything else (including British) and they have to see what exactly the Home Office wants.

People could help a bit more if we had the information about the parents' nationality and the exact chain of events (who is already settled in the UK and for how long, who is coming later and when).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.