Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year its just the two of us (hubby and I) and were off to Alex :) What are the rest of you planning? Any parties I should know of...lol.

Anyway a Merry Festive Season to all!!!:D

·
Registered
166 Posts
lol I have the same plans Hubby and I in Alex !!:) first xmas not going home ....going to be strange , no plans on xmas dinner yet am considering cookin :confused: ...we will see ....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol I have the same plans Hubby and I in Alex !!:) first xmas not going home ....going to be strange , no plans on xmas dinner yet am considering cookin :confused: ...we will see ....
Looks like u and i will be having a very quiet Christmas :( who knows maybe we can meet up in Alex and paint the town red :p

We haven't decided whats on the menu this Christmas either:D

·
Registered
166 Posts
ya we should ..... :clap2: I had planned on going home but left it too late and flights are crazy now .....:( missin my moms xmas dinner already!!! Like I said never been away for xmas,all the parites ,family friends ....... and just finished last bottle of baileys and jameson last week (not on my own!! lol sound like an alcoholic....so no irish alcohol left either!!)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya we should ..... :clap2: I had planned on going home but left it too late and flights are crazy now .....:( missin my moms xmas dinner already!!! Like I said never been away for xmas,all the parites ,family friends ....... and just finished last bottle of baileys and jameson last week (not on my own!! lol sound like an alcoholic....so no irish alcohol left either!!)
Im working and only get 3 days holiday, so thats my reason for not going home. It'll be a very weird Christmas this year. I haven't even planned the Alex trip properly, i should start now to avoid disappointment, but am not sure. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ive over 3 weeks hols.........perks of teaching holidays startin this thursday back 13jan!!!....... :) ....I spent a year in Alex loved it..we still have an apartment there kept it on pay 500le rent a month ..right on the Corniche...sea view from bedroom...Alex is really nice....There wont be much celebrations though! :(!!What do you feel like doing?if u let me know what kind of thing you are looking for I can def help out?
Balba is my fav egyptian restaurant there food is fab.....love it!If you get a chance go there!There is 2 one in Downtown.If you like fish ''The fish Market" on the Corniche is meant to be really good but I never got around to going there....
Downtown is where all the wetern restaurants etc lots of oriental restaurants cafes etc aswell...Carrfour shopping mall is there aswell huge new extention added on just opened a couple of months ago and it is fab.....loads of shopping if you are in the mood for it

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive over 3 weeks hols.........perks of teaching holidays startin this thursday back 13jan!!!....... :) ....I spent a year in Alex loved it..we still have an apartment there kept it on pay 500le rent a month ..right on the Corniche...sea view from bedroom...Alex is really nice....There wont be much celebrations though! :(!!What do you feel like doing?if u let me know what kind of thing you are looking for I can def help out?
Balba is my fav egyptian restaurant there food is fab.....love it!If you get a chance go there!There is 2 one in Downtown.If you like fish ''The fish Market" on the Corniche is meant to be really good but I never got around to going there....
Downtown is where all the wetern restaurants etc lots of oriental restaurants cafes etc aswell...Carrfour shopping mall is there aswell huge new extention added on just opened a couple of months ago and it is fab.....loads of shopping if you are in the mood for it
Oh man i am so jealous, wish i was patient enough to become a teacher..lol. You pay 500le a month for rent!!!! Wow, we will def check out the places you mentioned, as for fish, I dont think, am just not a fan of fish. So when will u leave to go then??

·
Registered
166 Posts
believe me last year we paid 2800le a month for rent, My husbands friend lives in America he bought 3 new fully furnished apartments in Alex so offered to us,one of them he didn't want any money but we insisted and max he would take was that :) . He hasn't come home in the last 10years and already has 2other flats there!!:) ... The school provide me with accomadation here so dont have to pay any other rent or bills so can easily keep it on handy for a place to go on breaks..
anyway leaving on the 18th, getting the dreaded bus :( hate it last time it took 10hrs up to Alex and 18hrs down ........I should fly really.....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Christmas here is never fun for me but I work over Christmas so that is that.
I will be having Christmas lunch with the rest of my staff but I am not cooking I will get the Marriott to send it in, then I will sit and have a little cry about missing my family
Maiden Scotland....Do you ever go home for xmas????:( I think one xmas will be enough for me to be away from my family!!I love my life here (not everyday of course!!;)......)but try to go home as much as I can this year alone, I have been home 3times and had been home xmas before until Jan!!!

·
Registered
789 Posts
This year its just the two of us (hubby and I) and were off to Alex :) What are the rest of you planning? Any parties I should know of...lol.

Anyway a Merry Festive Season to all!!!:D
MERRY XMAS EVERYONE!!!!!!

:D

I would have loved to go back for Christmas :plane:. This will be the fourth Christmas I have spent away from home and family, and every year I keep saying I will go back. AND I INSIST NEXT YEAR I WILL, lol.

I will be spending Christmas with my two year old daughter and my partner. As far as I know I will only be getting one day off for Christmas, although I will try to take more I think :p was thinking about Alex also for Xmas, but all depends on how much time off I can get.

So, I was thinking mainly Christmas dinner the three of us, my cooking unless I really can't be arsed, then pub xmas lunch it is! Opening pressies from under the tree, playing with all Jasmine's new toys (I'll make sure to get fun stuff :love: ) maybe watching Christmas film and generally chilling in the evening. Will probably go to our usual cafe down the road and let Jas play in the playground.

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
I was home for Christmas on the last two occasions but not this year. I do a years contract at a time and after the year I get one months holiday.. I had got it worked out that I managed to take 2x2 weeks but the last time I went I blotted my copybook and took too much time off so I am being "punished" and being made to work the year before I can take anytime off lol
Maiden

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
believe me last year we paid 2800le a month for rent, My husbands friend lives in America he bought 3 new fully furnished apartments in Alex so offered to us,one of them he didn't want any money but we insisted and max he would take was that :) . He hasn't come home in the last 10years and already has 2other flats there!!:) ... The school provide me with accomadation here so dont have to pay any other rent or bills so can easily keep it on handy for a place to go on breaks..
anyway leaving on the 18th, getting the dreaded bus :( hate it last time it took 10hrs up to Alex and 18hrs down ........I should fly really.....
My husband suggested we take the train, seeing as how i've never been in one. We decided that taking the car would probably not be such a great idea. Why does the bus take 18 hours? did it break down or something?? Anyway we should meet, as for the Baileys...let me know, I could ask hubby to get a bottle if you like ( he works at a restaurant and so can ask the supplier to get it):)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MERRY XMAS EVERYONE!!!!!!

:D

I would have loved to go back for Christmas :plane:. This will be the fourth Christmas I have spent away from home and family, and every year I keep saying I will go back. AND I INSIST NEXT YEAR I WILL, lol.

I will be spending Christmas with my two year old daughter and my partner. As far as I know I will only be getting one day off for Christmas, although I will try to take more I think :p was thinking about Alex also for Xmas, but all depends on how much time off I can get.

So, I was thinking mainly Christmas dinner the three of us, my cooking unless I really can't be arsed, then pub xmas lunch it is! Opening pressies from under the tree, playing with all Jasmine's new toys (I'll make sure to get fun stuff :love: ) maybe watching Christmas film and generally chilling in the evening. Will probably go to our usual cafe down the road and let Jas play in the playground.
Four years!!! I couldn't!! thats way too long. Do you go during the year tho?? well at least you have your daughter that will liven things up a bit :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was home for Christmas on the last two occasions but not this year. I do a years contract at a time and after the year I get one months holiday.. I had got it worked out that I managed to take 2x2 weeks but the last time I went I blotted my copybook and took too much time off so I am being "punished" and being made to work the year before I can take anytime off lol
Maiden
Well time flies and Christmas 2010 will be here before we know it :D

·
Registered
789 Posts
Four years!!! I couldn't!! thats way too long. Do you go during the year tho?? well at least you have your daughter that will liven things up a bit :)
I usually go during the year, yes. My youngest brother has his birthday in March (which also happens to fall within two weeks of my mother's birthday and mother's day) so these things are more important to me and usually go back for this. On the other hand I was seriously hoping to have another cold and "Christmassy" Christmas this year, especially as from next month my daughter is 2 and I will have to start paying adult price on the plane for her, despite the fact I know she will still insist to sit on my lap the whole flight :mad:

But yes, Christmas with kids is great fun. But next year she'll understand it even more so I'm looking forward to that even moreso :D Only 12 months away after all...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I will spend my Christmas also in Egypt, first time away from my parents :)
No matter where I was living before, we were together at this time, but now life changed plans for me.
I will spend them probably with some friends here, dinner at home and than go out to celebrate in one of pubs I guess :)

MERRY X-MASS everyone, here of far away! :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi all

As I am still in the UK *sigh* and sadly my parents are busy doing other things, I will be spending Christmas Day with my children yayyyyy! I have booked a restaurant so I don't have to cook or clear up and we will eat Pizza and nibbles in the evening!!!

HOWEVER............. I am going to be in Sharm for New Year (start as I mean to go on). I am coming without the children so I can have a real good look round and do some serious thinking about our future.

It will be nice to see in the New Year with my Egyptian friends, hate new years in this country, so am really looking forward to it :)

I get regular updates about all the decorations that are going up all over Sharm so am expecting greatness!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I will spend my Christmas also in Egypt, first time away from my parents :)
No matter where I was living before, we were together at this time, but now life changed plans for me.
I will spend them probably with some friends here, dinner at home and than go out to celebrate in one of pubs I guess :)

MERRY X-MASS everyone, here of far away! :)
HERE OR FAR AWAY...:sorry:
:behindsofa:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hi all

HOWEVER............. I am going to be in Sharm for New Year (start as I mean to go on). I am coming without the children so I can have a real good look round and do some serious thinking about our future.

It will be nice to see in the New Year with my Egyptian friends, hate new years in this country, so am really looking forward to it :)

I get regular updates about all the decorations that are going up all over Sharm so am expecting greatness!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What are your plans for New Year here?
I have never really "done" New Year so far. The first year I was here my husband was working and I was relatively new here and didn't know anyone (and had to be up for work at 9am the next day), the second New Year I had I was 8 months pregnant and not much in the mood for dancing, lol. Last New Year I had an 11 months old girl, again an early night. I'm thinking I should do something a little more exciting this year... but what?!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts