Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that most of our posters celebrate Christmas in one form or another, so what are your plans? Are you staying in the UAE, or heading back to a home country?

I will be hosting lunch for a group of friends on Christmas Day, but first thing I'll go for a stroll on the beach. Just because I can! I love Christmas in the sun. :)

-

·
Banned
598 Posts
Staying here. Are we invited to your party?

·
Banned
598 Posts
just give me some chilidogs and I will be fine. lol

sweet potatos and marshmellows??? blehhhhhh

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just arrived and am staying here and cooking as close to a traditional Christmas dinner as I can manage. I assume I'll be able to find frozen turkey in the grocery store.

Does anyone know where I can find (a spice called) savoury? I've tried Choithrams, the spice souk and various other grocery stores. None seem to have it. Any suggestions?

p.s. any expats living near The Greens who will be here for the holidays - get in touch.

·
Banned
598 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Leaving for home end of week. Will be spending christmas day the same way I did all my life, with my grandparents at their beach house. I "can't" wait!

I can not imagine christmas without family. I don't really celebrate christmas, but I do enjoy having the family together for the one day. :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you can't find savoury, try Zaatar - it is a mixture of savoury, thyme and sesame seeds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am here for xmas - used up all my leave visiting the great places that are so much closer here than when in the UK ..

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
We are here this Christmas but I don`t want to do any cooking or more importantly washing up!! Have you any good recomendations for Hotels, Golf Clubs or whereever doing the full Christmas spread??

·
Registered
134 Posts
Courtyard marriot in the green community has Cucina(italian) restaurant, last year was fab, and they also provide free weels. beter to check this out 04 8852222.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We are here this Christmas but I don`t want to do any cooking or more importantly washing up!! Have you any good recomendations for Hotels, Golf Clubs or whereever doing the full Christmas spread??
All the major hotels, right across town, offer Christmas lunches, but many will now be fully booked. The alternative is to order a full lunch to collect and take home.

You can find all the details on the Time Out website.

-

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I'm staying again this year.

Got some friends round for lunch on Christmas Day, more friends for drinks Chistmas evening, then out to friends on Boxing Day

·
Registered
364 Posts
Staying but avoiding ramped up holiday prices by eating/drinking at home. Will probably go to the beach on Christmas morning even though I hate beaches - just to tell the folks shivering back in the UK that I did. Mother in law arriving from UK in the evening, so duty free drinks all round! Will probably have friends round on New Years Eve - 50 quid just to get into the Irish Village!? I think not...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Me too, i prefer celebrating christmas with my family but unfortunately i will spend Christmas again away frm them:(
Leaving for home end of week. Will be spending christmas day the same way I did all my life, with my grandparents at their beach house. I "can't" wait!

I can not imagine christmas without family. I don't really celebrate christmas, but I do enjoy having the family together for the one day. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi we just arrived last month so were stuck here aswell. Can anyone reccommend a nice place to eat on christmas day that would accommodate my 3 year old?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi we just arrived last month so were stuck here aswell. Can anyone reccommend a nice place to eat on christmas day that would accommodate my 3 year old?
Thanks in advance.

Just about any hotel. It depends so much on budget and location. Also, as mentioned previously, too late to book for the best deals so look at the Time Out website for info.

Alternatively, cook lunch yourself or order & collect...

-

·
Registered
26 Posts
As we have just moved here, we are stuck in Dubai for Xmas. Also looking for someplace to have Christmas lunch with our 10 month old but I am not willing to pay 400 dirhums per person. So pizza it is!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I doubt you will beable to find savoury here, but I am not sure. So in the mean time check these links below, they show you other herbs that you can use to sub for savoury. Seems like the concencous is Thyme is the sub. Good luck with that.

Can you substitute some other spice for savory in ... on Yedda - People. Sharing. Knowledge.[/url]

We got our thanksgiving turkey from spinnys. think it was 15.95aed a kilo.
Thank you! I'll check those out and see if someone can mail me some savoury from back home.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.