Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm sure you all receive a million questions like this, so I'll try and keep it short and basic. I am however in need of some advice asap as time is unfortunately running out.

I live and was born in London. My girlfriend is from the US, but living in London on a student visa. This is her third year over here, having completed an undergraduate degree in Newcastle, and has just finished her masters in London. We've been together since January, and her visa runs out this coming January 30th.

We'd both banked on her being able to get a job under the 'exemption from the Resident Labour Market test' option. That, unfortunately, has proved unsuccessful. Therefore, what options do we have for her to stay over here? I'm guessing marriage is pretty much it?

If we do go down that route, how successful are we likely to be in obtaining a visa? We live together, having moved into a two-bedroom rental property last month. We have a joint bank account, and I work and earn £24k pa. She has met all of my family many times, and I have met her Dad when he came over to visit last summer. I'll be meeting her Nan this January, when they come over for her graduation.

I have never visited her home in America, mainly due to the cost of travel and time off work. Would this be a problem? Also, time is running out, so would we have enough time for marriage/applications to go through?

Obviously this situation isn't ideal, but we're willing to commit in order to stay together.

Any thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
You have the basics covered: you earn more than the minimum, you have adequate housing, and your relationship seems genuine. Marriage is probably the (only) way to go.

That said, I am not 100% sure if she needs to return home to apply or not. I am thinking she doesn't since she's here on a legitimate visa. But maybe someone else will know for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have the basics covered: you earn more than the minimum, you have adequate housing, and your relationship seems genuine. Marriage is probably the (only) way to go.

That said, I am not 100% sure if she needs to return home to apply or not. I am thinking she doesn't since she's here on a legitimate visa. But maybe someone else will know for sure.
Brilliant, thanks for your reply Amy. Do you know whether it is a requirement that I've visited her home town in America, or do you think it is enough that I have met her father and due to meet others in the coming months (on British soil)?

·
Registered
631 Posts
You don't have to have been to America to meet her family, meeting the family and visiting each other is really a way to show that it is a legitimate relationship. You should be fine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, she can switch from Tier 4 to spousal visa so she won't have to leave the UK, but I would definitely advise getting everything in order with plenty of time before her visa runs out as giving notice, booking the ceremony and getting all the paperwork together can end up taking much longer than you think!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.