Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got my visa subclass - 190 (NSW State Sponcered) on 29th Oct. I am in Australia since sept 2010 on work visa. I am staying in Perth and having permenent job.
Whithin how much time I have to go to NSW ? is it possible to move to NSW after getting job there ? There is no such kind of time line mentioned in my visa grant letter.

Can any body please advice ?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi unnat_upadhyay,

NSW will understand if you need some time to make arrangements (i.e. quit your job, make arrangements for an apartment etc.). A couple of months should be fine, but half a year would be stretching it, I guess. If you are contractually obliged to stay in your job for X months, that should be a very strong reason. You can also write to [email protected], tell them about your rough time plan (and constraints such as contractual obligations) and ask if that would be ok for them.

I'd suggest to start applying for jobs immediately. If you are in a profession where you can work remotely, your company may be willing to employ you as a freelancer for project work too, even after the move. This could add some financial security and you may be able to move without a job in NSW. Flying in for interviews from Perth could be a bit cumbersome, it would probably be easier if you are in NSW already.

All the best,
Monika

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hi,

I got my visa subclass - 190 (NSW State Sponcered) on 29th Oct. I am in Australia since sept 2010 on work visa. I am staying in Perth and having permenent job.
Whithin how much time I have to go to NSW ? is it possible to move to NSW after getting job there ? There is no such kind of time line mentioned in my visa grant letter.

Can any body please advice ?

Thanks
Some additional information for you.

As far as I know, there is no legal obligation for you to live and work in NSW.

If you are nominated by the NSW Government under the Skilled Nominated (subclass 190) visa you are expected to commit to live and work or study in NSW for the first two years of your time in Australia

However, according to some people, when and if you apply for a Resident Return Visa, the fact you did not fulfill your commitment to the state that sponsored you might come into play and your VISA might get rejected.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts