Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we're sitting indoors huddled around our oil heater. Its cold, its tipping down outside and its thoroughly miserable! We did need rain here desparately and we've got it! At least this isnt the norm here unlike the UK!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
So we're sitting indoors huddled around our oil heater. Its cold, its tipping down outside and its thoroughly miserable! We did need rain here desparately and we've got it! At least this isnt the norm here unlike the UK!!!

Jo xxx
Hi jojo. Yes it's persisting down here as well. I get a bit tired of our Spanish friends always saying "muy bueno para el campo" though.

When you say oil heater - do you mean one of those free-standing paraffin heaters you can get in the ferreteria? How much do they cost to run? Do they smell at all?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi jojo. Yes it's persisting down here as well. I get a bit tired of our Spanish friends always saying "muy bueno para el campo" though.

When you say oil heater - do you mean one of those free-standing paraffin heaters you can get in the ferreteria? How much do they cost to run? Do they smell at all?

No, its an oil filled radiator - expensive to run, but thats all we've got at the moment. I'm going to get one of those mobile gas heater things I think, apparently they're efficient and cheap to run, altho cause condensation?? I'm gonna have a look around tomorrow!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
348 Posts
No, its an oil filled radiator - expensive to run, but thats all we've got at the moment. I'm going to get one of those mobile gas heater things I think, apparently they're efficient and cheap to run, altho cause condensation?? I'm gonna have a look around tomorrow!

Jo xxx
Good morning Jo..:)..We had the mobile gas heaters for 5 years..(I presume you mean the Repsol gas heaters..€12 per bottle approx.) They produce massive condensation. We got around it by using in conjuction with a dehumidifier, although this does add to the cost, but has to be weighed against any damage that condensation will cause.
We now have the Termotec electric wall mounted radiators, and ,I must say, they are brilliant. Not cheap to run but programmable and the nearest you will ever get to a central heating system without all the cost that entails. I fitted all ours myself..(very easy) and it is lovely to wake up to a warm house each day.Average electric bill during winter expected to be approx. €120 per month TOTAL !!

·
Registered
388 Posts

Jo xxx
Poor you! Over here it's getting colder now as well, 17C at the moment and some rain clouds above. Usually we get away with it, cause the winds comming from the sea just push the clouds over the hills and off they go :D

So I hope we wont get any rain (none on the forecast). The forecast said 15C for the next 2 days, after that back to 19-20 and no rain. Im amazed about the temperatures at the moment. I really expected to switch on the heating in november. By the looks of it it won't be before the middle of december. I'm quite happy after all the horror stories I read before.

Lucky us have gas central heating as well if needed - so bring on the cold :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good morning Jo..:)..We had the mobile gas heaters for 5 years..(I presume you mean the Repsol gas heaters..€12 per bottle approx.) They produce massive condensation. We got around it by using in conjuction with a dehumidifier, although this does add to the cost, but has to be weighed against any damage that condensation will cause.
We now have the Termotec electric wall mounted radiators, and ,I must say, they are brilliant. Not cheap to run but programmable and the nearest you will ever get to a central heating system without all the cost that entails. I fitted all ours myself..(very easy) and it is lovely to wake up to a warm house each day.Average electric bill during winter expected to be approx. €120 per month TOTAL !!
I have heard that the A/C units are the cheapest form of heating...:cool:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have heard that the A/C units are the cheapest form of heating...:cool:

Hhhmmm, I've heard the opposite???? either way tho, we dont have air con cos I dont like them. They dry the air too much either when they're cooling or heating. However, they may work well with a calor gas heater that causes condensation!!?

Jo xxx

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hhhmmm, I've heard the opposite???? either way tho, we dont have air con cos I dont like them. They dry the air too much either when they're cooling or heating. However, they may work well with a calor gas heater that causes condensation!!?

Jo xxx
If you have the dehumidifier option on your AC then you've cracked it..:)

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
We use a gas heater. The gas has gone down a bit in price, it's just under 11 euros at the moment. Gas heaters do give off water vapour but we have not found this to be a problem at all. I guess it depends on what kind of house you have, ours is old and probably quite well ventilated (or possibly a but draughty whichever way you look at it). In a modern building with well sealed windows I think water vapour can be more of a problem.

I would go for this option if I were you. A dehumidifier can be bought later if found to be necessary - they don't cost much (under 100€ if Leroy Merlin have got a promo on) and don't cost much to run either. They also produce distilled water you can use in your iron as a by-product.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They are possibly the most efficient. I just came in and put ours on for five mins and the room was warmed within 5 minutes, whereas with the radiator it would have taken a few hours to get it to that heat.
True, but then dont you find with all the tiles and drafts that the room gets cold again quickly ???

I've decided this winter we're gonna go to bed early with hot water bottles!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
True, but then dont you find with all the tiles and drafts that the room gets cold again quickly ???

Jo xxx
Drafts? :eek:
No, we put the aircon on for 5 minutes and then leave the oil fired radiator on after that

When it gets really cold we have a log burner, and that fries us. Also we just had new upvc windows. The metal spanish ones are crap

·
Registered
626 Posts

Jo xxx
pussy's the lot of you
3-5 here last night and your all moaning :confused:
having just got back from spain the temp in england is much much colder belive me. i was shaking my jacob's off at the airport :eek::eek:
still had a great time never bumped in to strav though and yes i did look for the ponytail :D:cool: just looking at booking near jo jo again :eek::eek::eek:
tell them to get a good supply of fosters in jo benidorms nearly dry ;)

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pussy's the lot of you
3-5 here last night and your all moaning :confused:
having just got back from spain the temp in england is much much colder belive me. i was shaking my jacob's off at the airport :eek::eek:
still had a great time never bumped in to strav though and yes i did look for the ponytail :D:cool: just looking at booking near jo jo again :eek::eek::eek:
tell them to get a good supply of fosters in jo benidorms nearly dry ;)
Yes Dear!!! Glad you had a nice time Shaun

Jo xxx

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.