Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm SOOOOO excited.

We've been looking around for a few weeks and along came the right house.

The whole process took just a week.

We looked around the house Saturday 31st May, offers were taken on Wednesday 4th June (it was between us and another couple), we were told Wednesday evening we'd got it. Thursday we went and signed the Contract Note, Friday we had pest and a building inspection done, Saturday 7th June it was all finalised and we move in mid-August. Simple as that!

The next worry is trying to guess how the exchange rate is going to behave as all our money is still back in the UK. It's fluctuating between 2.03 and 2.06 at the moment. I'm watching it like a hawk!

Dolly

·
Registered
713 Posts
Congratulations! That's so exciting!!! :)

Whereabouts is it?

Right now there's no way we could afford to buy a house in Melbourne; we're waiting for the bubble to burst -- even though there are no guarantees that it ever will....

Piccies please!!!

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Official Congratulations Dolly!

When we bought our house last year we were surprised at how quickly every thing went through as well.

Tiff, I hate to tell you this but in some areas in Melbourne prices are on the rise.
Just after we first bought in Melbourne prices took at real tumble but they seem to be on the rise again.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
713 Posts
Official Congratulations Dolly!

When we bought our house last year we were surprised at how quickly every thing went through as well.

Tiff, I hate to tell you this but in some areas in Melbourne prices are on the rise.
Just after we first bought in Melbourne prices took at real tumble but they seem to be on the rise again.

Regards,
Karen
In think they are in most parts of Melbourne! Most people I've met here say that housing prices generally have almost doubled in the past two years :eek:

If it's a bubble, it'll eventually burst. If not, well, I still need some time to adjust to the fact that I'll be spending more than half a million for a house with a bit of garden! :eek::eek::eek: (I was spoiled in the US where you get a whole lotta house for not a whole lotta money in most cities!)

Anyway, that's great news for Dolly :D I'm really happy for you!

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi Dolly, Congratulations. I know how happy you might be. :)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys....:D

Dolly

·
Registered
319 Posts
Congratulations, Dolly.

Like the others, i am watching the SA housing stock like a hawk.......
pipe dreaming, sadly.
Good Luck in your new home, many blessings
Jane

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

It can be a "painless" process, and Im thrilled to hear it has been for you too.
When we sold our home in Melb last year, it sold 3 hrs after putting it on the market.
Papers signed next morning, and deposit paid within 2 weeks. No dramas.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Oh now that's just cruel.
3 hours to sell a house????? OMG, you jammy thing, you.
My house has been on the market 3 weeks, a mere blink in UK housing terms...
Got any tips????:)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My house has been on the market 3 weeks, a mere blink in UK housing terms...
Got any tips????:)

Perk that coffee.....bake that bread....play that classical music - have I missed anything? :D

Dolly

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
We were lucky in some ways, but I was well prepared.
I made sure everything was spotless (including gutters, sheds etc)

Im not one for clutter anyway, but made sure all cupboards were tidy, and anything I wasnt planning on keeping was gone (eg...linen press was immaculate, so people could see how much room there actually was in it )

Gardens were very tidy, lawns mowed.

All rooms were sparkling clean (especially windows, as we had a great view)

All junk off fridges..kids art off the wall/fridges (except the stuff that was framed)

Oven etc was immaculate (nearly killed me, getting it soo clean)

Basically, it was extremely well presented (if I dont mind saying so myself), was in a fantastic location and in a brilliant suburb.....

I didnt think it would take long to sell, perhaps a month, but after I signed papers to put on market, the agent rang to see if he could bring someone through that afternoon, and she loved it, went out to speak to agent, made an offer, he came + asked me...SOLD.
So after all my effort, only 1 person viewed it!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
That's fabulous, Sgilli. Well done you.
I am just a bit bewildered by 3 hours.
My life is constant mopping, dusting etc, but our kids are muck magnets so square 1 is reached within an hour of their arrival from school!! I have considered tying them to chairs/ locking them in cupboards etc, but there are rules against that sort of thing these days:D
Maybe i should start my rounds again, instead of sitting here all morning.
Take Care
J

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congratulations:D That is wonderful.

I cant believe how bad the exchange rate is.:eek: Thought it was better then that.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Gardens were very tidy, lawns mowed.
That's a very important point. Most people concentrate on the house and completely forget about the garden. My husband (a gardener) used to be hired by UK estate agents to make the gardens look nice when a house went up for sale to add 'kerb appeal'. Always check what the house looks like from across the road since that's the first impression most people will get.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When we were selling our house in the UK we spent a fortune on bedding plants for the garden etc. The house was spotless, the lawns mowed etc. We'd plastered walls, new flooring etc etc. We put a lot of effort into it. Over here it's completely different. We saw a few houses before we chose the one we're buying and I have to say I was shocked at the state of most of the houses.

They were grubby, dirty laundry on the floor, gardens were a mess, musty smells in the rooms - I was beginning to get a bit disheartened. Funnily enough we were considering another property (the sellers were moving back to Scotland)...their property was immaculate. And the house we've bought was also immaculate (they are an English family moving back to the UK).

Say no more.....

I guess Australians don't see making the house 'inviting' to the buyer as a priority. I think that's just the way it is.

Dolly

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hi all,

Congratulation to Dolly for the new house!

We are still trying to sell ours - been on for 3 weeks and we've had 2 viewers, it's so bloody depressing i tell you and yes my house is immaculate, we've spent a fortune on the garden (all front back and side, as they are massive). Brand new luxury fitted kitchen, plasterwork etc etc etc and still nothing!

We don't have to validate our visas until December but it's still scary waiting to see what's going to happen.- and we've already started shipping things over to Brisbane. aaaarrrrgggghhhh:eek:

·
Registered
319 Posts
SNAP Scottishcelts!!!!

We have a 7 bed, 2 bath, 3 recep mansh; new roof, elecs etc, off road parking, conservatory, small but adequate garden. Priced really low for our area, and like you only 2 viewings in 3 weeks. The market here is pants!!!

Mind, i had to ask the estate agent for an board! Beat THAT m8.
Jane

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
SNAP Scottishcelts!!!!

We have a 7 bed, 2 bath, 3 recep mansh; new roof, elecs etc, off road parking, conservatory, small but adequate garden. Priced really low for our area, and like you only 2 viewings in 3 weeks. The market here is pants!!!

Mind, i had to ask the estate agent for an board! Beat THAT m8.
Jane
Wow 7 bedrooms! Maybe you should try marketing it to property investors since you can let some places by the room and that would make a fortune!

I went to a property investors weekend in Melbourne in April and one guy mentioned that estate agents rarely build a picture of what it would be to live in the place that they are selling. They just give the details and don't create enough of a dream. For example 7 bedrooms may just seem too much for some people but some bedrooms could be turned into playrooms, games rooms etc.

We have a 4 bedroom house here (for 2 of us) and one of them is now my husbands playroom ( for his train set and his car collection before you get any other ideas :D ).

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
319 Posts
Karen!
how could you even hint we would think that your husband's playroom was for anything else;)
I guess we could look into selling to a developer with a view to rental marketing. No rush just yet. I will give it till the end of summer (or, in fact, winter for you guys!).
TT
J

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.