Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading about SA and the rather unbecoming race situation in the country for some time now and would like to know; what the situation is like in the Western Cape? With the largest racial group being colored,only about 10% more black than white, the province being governed by the DA, and the higher average income is the Western Cape safer for whites? I'm assuming it is safer than say KwaZulu-Natal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have been reading about SA and the rather unbecoming race situation in the country for some time now and would like to know; what the situation is like in the Western Cape? With the largest racial group being colored,only about 10% more black than white, the province being governed by the DA, and the higher average income is the Western Cape safer for whites? I'm assuming it is safer than say KwaZulu-Natal.
Safer, I don't know. However, you Western Cape is more friendly to Whites as the Weather is approximately the same you will find in Italy or France (South-East)
Race does not matter anyway, even if the so-called Coloured people is well-known for their friendly-attitude.

The Pros :
- Weather (except Cape Town, may be. Paarl is lovely)
- DA
- Cape Town (economy)

The Cons :
- Language (except in Cape Town and Paarl, you should learn Afrikaans to do the basic things)
- Religious tensions (you will find the biggest muslim community in Western Cape. Some of them accept the western or african values, but some believe they live in Middle East and can be very arrogant. Some euorpeans leave europe due to Muslim zealots, and AFAIK the situation here in Western Cape is yet under control, but anyway, I dunno what will be the situation by 2020, for instance. I have nothing against Religion, just against Zealots)

If you want a well-paid job, you should consider Johannesburg or Pretoria though

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Safer, I don't know. However, you Western Cape is more friendly to Whites as the Weather is approximately the same you will find in Italy or France (South-East)
Race does not matter anyway, even if the so-called Coloured people is well-known for their friendly-attitude.

The Pros :
- Weather (except Cape Town, may be. Paarl is lovely)
- DA
- Cape Town (economy)

The Cons :
- Language (except in Cape Town and Paarl, you should learn Afrikaans to do the basic things)
- Religious tensions (you will find the biggest muslim community in Western Cape. Some of them accept the western or african values, but some believe they live in Middle East and can be very arrogant. Some euorpeans leave europe due to Muslim zealots, and AFAIK the situation here in Western Cape is yet under control, but anyway, I dunno what will be the situation by 2020, for instance. I have nothing against Religion, just against Zealots)

If you want a well-paid job, you should consider Johannesburg or Pretoria though
Thanks for the info. How safe is it in the Cape winelands, Stellenbosch and Paarl specificaly, as this is where I am looking to travel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anywhere in particular I should stay away from in Stellenbosch or Paarl?
If you use common-sense then you will be safe. Most of the WC is no more dangerous than many areas of the USA. So if you don't flash around expensive cameras, jewelery and cash and you avoid deserted places after dark then you are ok... no different to the USA. Then there are slums areas to avoid at all times - again no different to the USA.

Stellenbosch is actually a beautiful town and very tourist friendly. The whole wine route is great for tourists. My advice is to talk to the people at the hotel you live in and ask about specific areas to visit or avoid. I've traveled the USA and used that same logic. Ask the locals and they will be only too pleased to offer sound advice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Use commen sence to travel, but that you have to do all over the world. Ask in your Hotel if you can walk in the streets. Stellenbosch is very touristic and an University city.
Do you not have to learn Afrikaans, and with Englisch you can do very well overthere.
Paarl can be very, very hot and humid during summer.
Westeren Cape is like Europe.
Have fun

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The "feel" there and you can buy a lot of products, imported from Europe. It is a total different atmosfeer then say Gauteng, Limpopo, KNZ etc.
Its NOTHING like Europe... the feel etc etc the ONLY thing similar is the weather as its a Mediterranean climate.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Its NOTHING like Europe... the feel etc etc the ONLY thing similar is the weather as its a Mediterranean climate.
Well, you do not think is like Europe, but a lot of people , from the EU, think or feel like that! And they can know!

Did you ever where in the South of France, in Italy etc??

Mediterranean climate? Not in the winter time. In de the summer it is also more different. And there they donot have a dry or rain season. It is much more humid in the Cape!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Well, you do not think is like Europe, but a lot of people , from the EU, think or feel like that! And they can know!

Did you ever where in the South of France, in Italy etc??

Mediterranean climate? Not in the winter time. In de the summer it is also more different. And there they donot have a dry or rain season. It is much more humid in the Cape!
Yes... Many times

The Cape Humid????? Sorry Pal, lived there for 20 years..... Europe for 15. Take a Geography lesson please.

PS We are talking about the "feel" of the place - Not just the weather or did that one go over your head?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Annoying

In answer to your question. I am a Uk citizen married to a coloured South African lady who's home is Stellenbosch. Time and time again i read on here questions about race, colour, religion and crime which, to be honest, gets my back up.

The Western Cape is fine, no better nor worse that anywhere else in the civilised world, just use your head and understand where you can or cannot go, which is no different than being in any populated UK city.

The indigenous population are no different to you and i and if treated with respect will make you welcome and give you all the help you need.

Go with an open mind, enjoy the scenery and whatever the country has to offer you, be sensible and sift the claptrap that is often posted on here.

John.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I stay in Stellenbosch and it is the best place to be! Beautiful and really lovely people. Like any other town there are areas not to stay in, but in Stb most areas are wonderful - Paradyskloof, Die Boord, Mostertsdrift, Dalsig etc.

There are English speaking people in Stb and surroundings, no need to learn Afrikaans!

Of all the areas I can really recommend Stbosch!

·
Registered
66 Posts
In answer to your question. I am a Uk citizen married to a coloured South African lady who's home is Stellenbosch. Time and time again i read on here questions about race, colour, religion and crime which, to be honest, gets my back up.

The Western Cape is fine, no better nor worse that anywhere else in the civilised world, just use your head and understand where you can or cannot go, which is no different than being in any populated UK city.

The indigenous population are no different to you and i and if treated with respect will make you welcome and give you all the help you need.

Go with an open mind, enjoy the scenery and whatever the country has to offer you, be sensible and sift the claptrap that is often posted on here.

John.
You SO Right John.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

This statement is untrue

1 - 20 of 40 Posts