Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was re-thinking again about my surroundings yesterday, the places near by , even though I have never been a lover of the country where I grew up in ( nor even closer ) , nor the society where I was been with , yesterday I had a different view of it, due because I am feeling I am getting closer to leave this country for real. So I was thinking if you guys trying you leave your country or those successfully who have done it already, you felt like melancholy when you were leaving your country? I have always been a believer the day I part from this country I will never be coming back, nor even to visit my family, due I am very dissapointed at this nation, so I guess it will be probably the main reason to leave where you were born, ain't you? . Find out that is a better society out there, or at least one that can be happy with. some society that can fullfill your expectations. What do you think?

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Gustav,

Neither myself or my husband have missed the UK at all. We've missed family and friends but not the place itself. Neither of us have ever been particularly patriotic anyway.

I will probably go back to visit family and friends since some of them can't afford to come and see us but I'm not sure that my husband will.

We left the UK because we wanted a better life and a chance to leave the rat race (always working hard only to pay off bills and never getting anywhere). However I still have friends there who enjoy living there so to each their own.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
268 Posts
You seem to have an interesting question. Usually people leave, since they are not happy with their surrounds. If you were from Iraq, then would you miss the bombs and yanks in their tanks and secret police and terrorists and whoever? I guess this answers your question.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I find this an interesting question because my husband has an opportunity with his current employer to move to Australia to help start up a division there. We are very happy where we live now but are still considering this as it would be a great way to become more worldly and understand another culture. Because we are very happy here it is more of a dilemma though.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
I've lived in 2 different countries aside from my home country (hopefully Oz will be number 3!). It is perfectly normal to feel slightly melancholy. Whilst you may have compelling reasons to leave, you can never deny the good times that you've had in your home country - your childhood, time spent with family, etc and at the point when you decide to leave, all these old memories will undoubtedly come flooding back, leading to that feeling of sadness. These feelings will either disappear or get stronger depending on your experience of the new place you move to - you can however do away with the sadness by immersing yourself in your new life, new surroundings, etc - the happier you are with your new life, the more you will reinforce the fact that despite the sacrifices, you made the right decision.

That said, home is where the heart is and despite the fact that I would not want to move back home, I always get that little twinge of sadness whenever I visit and then have to leave (or even when my family visit me and then we have to say goodbye). I always look back at my family and wonder whether I made the right decision moving so far away from home but ultimately, I always tell myself that I have only one shot at life and I am better off spending it doing the things I love and following my dreams as opposed to staying put and then spending my old age wondering what if! Better to give it a try - you can always go back after all if it proves to be the wrong decision, which is way better than spending your time wondering what might have been.

These feelings are perfectly normal and will hopefully disappear in time. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I find this an interesting question because my husband has an opportunity with his current employer to move to Australia to help start up a division there. We are very happy where we live now but are still considering this as it would be a great way to become more worldly and understand another culture. Because we are very happy here it is more of a dilemma though.
I too, am planning a move to Oz because of an opportunity that I have always wanted to explore. I am not unhappy where I live now - most of my family is close and I have generally found great opportunities with respect to my career. That being said, I am open to most possibilities when it comes to how long I will stay.
Some of the reasons for my decision to move involve my children - giving then a new experience and opportunity to see more of their world. I chose this timing - not because it is a particularly good time (it never is), but for the practical reason that I am approaching 45 and if I don't do it now, chances are I won't get another opportunity!
So...we all make the choice to move for our own reasons. Enjoy the transition, make the most of your opportunities, and ensure you have given your choices a fair chance.

kscanuck - where are you intending to relocate to?

·
Registered
15 Posts
every body has his own opinion. the person who started the thread said that he would never come back to his native country because he thinks that he is very disappointed at his nation and he does not like his family as well.....but this case is not true always

Some people consider their nation the best of the world and they miss their families and friends a lot but they only leave their country for financial reasons.....to earn a better money....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too, am planning a move to Oz because of an opportunity that I have always wanted to explore. I am not unhappy where I live now - most of my family is close and I have generally found great opportunities with respect to my career. That being said, I am open to most possibilities when it comes to how long I will stay.
Some of the reasons for my decision to move involve my children - giving then a new experience and opportunity to see more of their world. I chose this timing - not because it is a particularly good time (it never is), but for the practical reason that I am approaching 45 and if I don't do it now, chances are I won't get another opportunity!
So...we all make the choice to move for our own reasons. Enjoy the transition, make the most of your opportunities, and ensure you have given your choices a fair chance.

kscanuck - where are you intending to relocate to?
Hi! We are considering going to Perth. I feel the same about only having one chance at life and with this opportunity the company is really going to take care of us (paid housing, gross up wages to cover taxes, private health insurance, etc.). How many chances do you have like that??

Where are you wanting to move in Oz?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi! We are considering going to Perth. I feel the same about only having one chance at life and with this opportunity the company is really going to take care of us (paid housing, gross up wages to cover taxes, private health insurance, etc.). How many chances do you have like that??

Where are you wanting to move in Oz?
I have accepted a position near Melbourne - just waiting for the visa!

It is a bit scary for sure, and I have had my moments of doubt, but overall I am looking forward to the challenge. Keep me posted on how things go for you - would love to hear!

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I have roamed all over the world, but spent most of my time in England. I finally managed to sell the house in England last year.

No regrets, I live on a small Atlantic island, with a wonderful climate.

I think you will enjoy Australia, I did, especially Fremantle and Sydney,

Hepa

·
Registered
468 Posts
im from edinburgh (scotland)
and the truth is i dnt like it here
it was good yrs ago but its not the same anymore
more ppl no jobs and so on
im moving to australia in 2weeks time and im so happy about it
so hope things works out for me :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts