Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
U.K.
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter wedding was on Saturday. It was not a " posh" expensive affair. She hired a Glamping site for the weekend , provided a hog roast a small buffet and a bottle of prosecco per tent. Everyone brought their own food, drinks and breakfast for the next morning.

They had an " official " ceremony two days earlier. On Saturday a close friend made a speech about marriage ( celebrant who doesn't know them wanted £599). Kids had a great time playing in the playground. A friends band played jazz immediately after ceremony followed by a rock band in the evening.

Dress code smart casual, boho, nothing fancy.

Fire pit in the evening for speeches and cake cutting

I'm very proud of them. They were determined that this would be a wedding with them in mind, their personal tastes, not a "fake" marbled hotel, with co-ordinating table wear, Helen's flowers came from tescos that morning

When many weddings are at a huge cost, theirs was cheap cheerful and personalized

Attachments

·
Registered
19,422 Posts
Nice photos. I note she did do The Dress, which looks great.

i must admit I don't understand the idea that some people have of spending literally thousands on their wedding with hundreds of people and the most lavish clothes, invitations, decorations and entertainment that money can buy, especially as a lot of people who do this actually go into debt to be able to pull it off. I'd rather have a small, more intimate gathering with a long dinner or lunch where I get a chance to talk to everyone.

However, if that's what you want then spend, spend , spend!!

I'm hoping my daughter will take a leaf out of our book - registry office, tailored dress, but that cost less than 50 pounds, groom in late father's suit, 48 guests and meal in a Basque caserio all paid for by us, not the parents (that's the best part hahaha!)

·
Registered
U.K.
9,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice photos. I note she did do The Dress, which looks great.

i must admit I don't understand the idea that some people have of spending literally thousands on their wedding with hundreds of people and the most lavish clothes, invitations, decorations and entertainment that money can buy, especially as a lot of people who do this actually go into debt to be able to pull it off. I'd rather have a small, more intimate gathering with a long dinner or lunch where I get a chance to talk to everyone.

However, if that's what you want then spend, spend , spend!!

I'm hoping my daughter will take a leaf out of our book - registry office, tailored dress, but that cost less than 50 pounds, groom in late father's suit, 48 guests and meal in a Basque caserio all paid for by us, not the parents (that's the best part hahaha!)

Originally she was going to wear my dress....... but it was me who persuaded her to go for a dress she loved and it was me who paid for it... again bargain in the sale LOL 😂

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
My daughter wedding was on Saturday. It was not a " posh" expensive affair. She hired a Glamping site for the weekend , provided a hog roast a small buffet and a bottle of prosecco per tent. Everyone brought their own food, drinks and breakfast for the next morning.

They had an " official " ceremony two days earlier. On Saturday a close friend made a speech about marriage ( celebrant who doesn't know them wanted £599). Kids had a great time playing in the playground. A friends band played jazz immediately after ceremony followed by a rock band in the evening.

Dress code smart casual, boho, nothing fancy.

Fire pit in the evening for speeches and cake cutting

I'm very proud of them. They were determined that this would be a wedding with them in mind, their personal tastes, not a "fake" marbled hotel, with co-ordinating table wear, Helen's flowers came from tescos that morning

When many weddings are at a huge cost, theirs was cheap cheerful and personalized
What a fantastic idea. I agree some of those weddings are really OTT now.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Lovely pictures, and everyone looks as if they are really enjoying themselves.

I've never liked the idea of spending many thousands of pounds on a wedding, entertaining relatives you probably don't see from one year to another. It mostly seems to be about putting on a show rather than demonstrating a commitment.

One of my husband's nieces had a very extravagant wedding - they were married in August and had split up by December. Had I been a parent who had shelled out for that lot I would have been pretty sick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts