1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It isn't illegal to wear flip-flops while driving in Spain

From the 'mouth of the horse' that is N332 via SpainBuddy

Introduction by the N332

“Driving with Flip – Flops or T- Shirt while driving, illegal or not ???.

Yesterday the DGT (Traffic Deparment) posted a document showing that as a general rule, is NOT illegal to drive with flip flops and without T-shirt.

We wanted to ask your opinion about this common question during summer time. Now, here you have the answer from the mouth of the horse. And we show you the document and ask you to keep it.

Thanks to Andrea Lowe who translated this document for all of you. Many thanks, as well for all the requests we have received to translate it from our followers.” (sic)
Ed: So… is it illegal to wear flip-flops while driving in Spain? It would seem not… although of course only an idiot would take unnecessary risks.

If you choose to wear flip flops or drive around topless (no ladies – not you)… and you are fined by the police at a spot check – you can always print off the DGT’s official statement and give it to your lawyer ready to contest your fine. However, if you’ve caused an accident because your wet footwear slipped and caused an accident… be prepared to pay the price.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
I'm sure a hairy chest would also be counted as a distraction for on coming drivers as well, particularly for women drivers. ;)

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
They have just changed the rules in France - you can no longer drink whilst driving (I'm not sure about eating), so if you are driving through to France take care. As it happens, I don't wear flip-flops (or similar footwear), drink or eat whilst driving as all 3 are illegal in Queensland, Australia (which does not necessarily mean that everyone complies). It's not uncommon to get your foot stuck in the pedals with flip-flops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts