Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
We (myself and my wife) could relocate from Italy to Melbourne. I've got an offer including a visa 457 and what seems to be a good salary (110K including superannuation).

I'm going to work in the CBD with friends in thornbury.

Would you suggest a nice suburb where to rent, a decent price (about 400pw) an apartment?

Thanks!

Paolo

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
At that price you're looking at 1 bedroom apartments in most of the desirable inner city suburbs - Carlton, Fitzroy, Richmond, South Melbourne etc. If you go a bit further out you can get more space but you'll have a longer commute to the CBD. You can probably find 2 bedders in Preston and even Thornbury for that price (about 30-40 minutes by train, longer by tram). Have a look at realestate.com.au or domain.com.au for prices. Use the PTV website to get an idea of commute times by public transport.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I admit I thought that Thornbury was at less then 30 minutes by train from cbd... Maybe I should look at Brunswick

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Thank you. I admit I thought that Thornbury was at less then 30 minutes by train from cbd... Maybe I should look at Brunswick
Well unless you live right next to the train station and your office is right next to Flinders, no. You have to factor in the walking time to/from the train station on both ends plus the wait time. Realistically this is at least 30-40 minutes. Brunswick is the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts