Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can help - I'm an American (40) and my boyfriend is English (45), living in the UK. Like so many others on here, we want to be together and know that getting married is what we want to do. I'd move there to be with him. We've both read so many different things online and we just don't know which is the best way to go about it - he is on disability and doesn't work. He doesn't need me to support him, but I would need to work to support myself (which I have no problem doing, but I know we would need to be married before I could start looking for a job). I'm working towards saving as much money as I can, and know what I'd need to live on (my half of everything) a month. I thought I read somewhere that they waive (or greatly lower?) the financial responsibility if he is on disability?

I know there are financial requirements and fiancee visas and spouse visas and the leave to remain visa.... should we get married there or here - would they even let me go over there to live and be with him and work if we were married, but if he can't financially support me?

any advice is welcome - I'm going to visit again at the end of February and I'm thinking we need to speak with someone when I am there (but who? embassy? a lawyer?)

thank you so much!
Liz

·
Registered
39,034 Posts
To be eligible for exemption from financial requirement (income of £18,600), he needs to be on certain disability benefits. The full list is in https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...337420/Annex_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf Section 3.6.1. He then only needs to meet the maintenance requirement in order to sponsor you for your visa, which is £113.70 left each week after paying for rent/mortgage and council tax.

The easiest perhaps, if he is able to travel, is for him to fly over to US and get married. He only needs the usual ESTA/visa waiver (no special visa required). Then once your marriage is registered and certificate obtained, you can apply for spouse visa in US. Once granted, you can travel to UK and start work straightaway. Your visa enables you to live for 30 months (2.5 years), after which you renew for further 30 months, and then you'll be eligible for settlement (green card).

You can get married in UK, but for that you first apply for fiancée visa in US, then travel to UK and get married, and switch to leave to remain as spouse. So in effect you need two visa applications in a short period of time, and while you are in UK as fiancée, you can't work.

Just ask us for advice. We are right on the ball with latest regulations and we are free!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He does receive benefits - I just called him and sent him the link to the responses - he gets about 100 pounds a week (sorry I don't have that $$ key on my computer!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've called him and email him the link you sent - sounds like he may qualify - thank you!

But did you mean 113.70 a week left over, or a month? I don't think he gets that a week, but I know he doesn't pay rent/mortgage as his parents own the property.

·
Super Moderator
18,015 Posts
I've called him and email him the link you sent - sounds like he may qualify - thank you!

But did you mean 113.70 a week left over, or a month? I don't think he gets that a week, but I know he doesn't pay rent/mortgage as his parents own the property.
It's per week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's per week.
thank you for the info! But... now what do we do? He doesn't get that a week, let alone having it left over per week. I'll have plenty saved up, several thousand - could I send it to him so he'd have it in his account or is that cheating? And if I can prove I have enough to pay for my expenses for 6 months or a year, is that enough? It would just be till I found a job - I'd be living with him then :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you for the info! But... now what do we do? He doesn't get that a week, let alone having it left over per week. I'll have plenty saved up, several thousand - could I send it to him so he'd have it in his account or is that cheating? And if I can prove I have enough to pay for my expenses for 6 months or a year, is that enough? It would just be till I found a job - I'd be living with him then :)

oh nevermind!! we are Skyping now and looked at all the info and his bank statements together and it looks like he does qualify and would have the required amount left over so yea!

·
Registered
883 Posts
As far as I understand, what is meant by "left over" is that he receives 113.7 pounds per week (considering he pays no rent or council tax) in disability living allowance or whatever the name of the benefit is. He is not supposed to actually have the money left in his bank account every week - it's perfectly fine for him to use it for whatever he needs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.