Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I just got the email saying my wife's UK Spouse Visa has been issued and we'll get it tomorrow via UPS. Hooray!

First of all a big thank you to expat forum for all the help you provide. Mega thanks to Joppa and co. for their outstanding support to complete strangers, you've literally saved our lives!

Now, our last remaining question is this:

What do we do now? We're flying back to the UK in a few days, but what does my wife need to do when she arrives in the UK? Do we need any special documents or anything, or will her passport suffice. Also, what will come in the UPS package tomorrow? Anything we need to be especially careful with?

Thanks everyone, so much for all your help!:clap2:

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I just got the email saying my wife's UK Spouse Visa has been issued and we'll get it tomorrow via UPS. Hooray!

First of all a big thank you to expat forum for all the help you provide. Mega thanks to Joppa and co. for their outstanding support to complete strangers, you've literally saved our lives!

Now, our last remaining question is this:

What do we do now? We're flying back to the UK in a few days, but what does my wife need to do when she arrives in the UK? Do we need any special documents or anything, or will her passport suffice. Also, what will come in the UPS package tomorrow? Anything we need to be especially careful with?
Congratulations!
First check the visa, esp the dates on it. It has two: 'valid from' and 'valid until'. She cannot arrive in UK before the first date, and UKBA won't change it.
In the package, you should have all the original documents back for which you have provided a photocopy.
As for what to take to UK other than the passport, I'd put some recent bank statement and accommodation details in my carryon luggage, though probably not needed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great, thanks joppa :)

When we submitted, we put the "Date you are planning to travel to the UK" as the date of my (or our) flights. Do you think it should be valid from then if we provided the date?

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
That's great, thanks joppa :)

When we submitted, we put the "Date you are planning to travel to the UK" as the date of my (or our) flights. Do you think it should be valid from then if we provided the date?
Yes, but it's always risky to book a flight before getting your visa. You were lucky, so fine, it should be valid from the travel date you put down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the passport arrived today, with the Visa sticker valid from 08/03/2012! Looks like we're set! Thanks Joppa!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Otashem,
Can you please post the timeline to receiving the spouse visa? When you applied, sent in your documents, Biometrics, approval?
Hoping to apply for mine very soon too :)
sjellyman

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi sjellyman,

I posted this in the "Visa timeline" thread too, here's our processing timeline:

Country applying from: USA
Type of visa applied for: Spousal settlement
Date application submitted: 28th Feb , 2012
Date documentation received by UK Border Agency: 29th Feb, 2012
Office location processing your visa: New York office
Date your visa was issued: March 5th, 2012
UPS Package received: March 6th 2012

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Good luck to you in your application :)

Believe me, after you submit, the days go sloooow unlucky for us it fell on a weekend too! Never slept so much in my life than I did that saturday and sunday!

It's an amazing feeling knowing that practically everything we need to consider and worry about is gone... At least until the ILR test, but that's no biggie after these past months of torment and stress!

[EDIT] Processing time is currently 3 days, so no need for us to pay the extra :) We just got it done normally.

·
Registered
70 Posts
How wonderful! I cant even begin to imagine what it feels like to have that approval! My husband and I are so stressed out about just getting to the point of being able to apply..we've had several hurdles to get thru and waiting on other people to say yes to this thing, or approve that thing...he and I both are ready to sleep, rest and just be together! I told him that when I finally see him there, he's going to have to pinch me because its going to be unbelieveable that we made it!

·
Registered
70 Posts
The only little thing I continue to stress over is that UK Border Agency sees our financials as good enough..Joppa says my husband/sponsor makes more than what they see as minimum income and I have about $3K in my savings. Was that a concern for you as well? (not asking for specifics by the way!) :)
Urrgh, just want this to be finished so I can relax!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, let me think...

I earn around 14,000GBP a year + 1,000GBP KPI bonus, I had around 1,500GBP savings and my wife has around $10,000 savings. As far as I'm aware there aren't any specifics, just show that you won't go on benefits and you should be okay.

We submitted our application online and got biometrics done a couple of days after. We went straight from the Biometrics appointment to the post office and sent it next day delivery.

Don't worry, the relaxation will come :) Just check your application a million times over, we almost forgot UK passport photos!

·
Registered
70 Posts
You know, I was going to pay the expedited fee, but I saw nowhere to request and pay for it! I got all the way to the end waiting to see something about it and never did! Sent the documents overnight on Friday, consulate should have first thing tomorrow am and I am hoping that they are spot on with their 4 day processing because I am dying to get my visa and buy my airplane ticket!!! Sooooo ready to breathe and get to my husband now!

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
You know, I was going to pay the expedited fee, but I saw nowhere to request and pay for it! I got all the way to the end waiting to see something about it and never did! Sent the documents overnight on Friday, consulate should have first thing tomorrow am and I am hoping that they are spot on with their 4 day processing because I am dying to get my visa and buy my airplane ticket!!! Sooooo ready to breathe and get to my husband now!
For the benefit of others, there isn't a chance to pay for priority during online visa application. You apply for it on WorldBridge site after getting your biometrics done and before sending off your documents. You pay, print out the receipt and put it on top of your document pack and send off on the same day, with 'Settlement Priority Service' written in large red letters on the outside.
Hope you don't have to wait for long.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.