Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strongest earthquake we have had since we have been here. The entire house and the wall around it were really shaking. The telephone pole was rocking.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mexico City was 7.1 also from what I just heard, haven't verified that yet though.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Powerful 7.1 earthquake strikes Mexico City, severely damaging buildings - LA Times

Powerful 7.1 earthquake strikes Mexico City, severely damaging buildings

Associated Press September 19, 2017, 1205 PM, Reporting from Mexico City

A powerful earthquake jolted Mexico City on Tuesday, seriously damaging buildings and sending people fleeing into the streets on the anniversary of a 1985 quake that did major damage to the capital.

Local television stations broadcast images of collapsed facades and streets filled with rubble.

The extent of damage and injuries was not immediately clear.

The U.S. Geological Survey calculated its preliminary magnitude at 7.1. The epicenter was about 93 miles southeast of Mexico City in the state of Puebla.

Pictures fell from walls, and objects were shaken off flat surfaces. Some people dived for cover under desks.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It did indeed last longer than I liked.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Isla Verde is in Mexico City, isn't she? Who else? I just saw it on the news, and it sounded horrible! The pictures were quite upsetting.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
Isla Verde is in Mexico City, isn't she? Who else? I just saw it on the news, and it sounded horrible! The pictures were quite upsetting.
Isla lives near the Angel on Reforma in the middle of Mexico City. There is a web cam showing traffic moving with no obvious damage to buildings in that area. I hope she is okay.

Paseo de la Reforma - Ciudad de México

Edit: I take that back. There is at least one building in the picture that may be damaged. The resolution is not very good.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Isla lives near the Angel on Reforma in the middle of Mexico City. There is a web cam showing traffic moving with no obvious damage to buildings in that area. I hope she is okay.

Paseo de la Reforma - Ciudad de México
I pray everyone is o.k. She's just the only one I was sure lives there. I know there are others here who do as well, and probably some in the hardest hit areas of the first quake.

You know, part of my heart is still with Mexico, even though I have decided not to live there. I do think about you all when something like this happens. People here have been very kind to me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just read that over 60 people are dead in this Mexico City quake. I hope we can hear that Isla Verde is o.k. soon. This is so stressful.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts