Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know a good company that sells and maintains water softener systems in the Lakeside Area?

·
Registered
6 Posts
100 years ago my mom was only interested in water softeners for her laundry.. Beyond that I don't know what hard water does to your water system
Soft water is much easier on your skin as well. Soap suds up much easier when using soft water.

-----------------------------------------
Rivers are roads which move, and which carry us whither we desire to go.
~Blaise Pascal

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Water Filter

We asked the landlord of the house we will be renting if we need to have bottled drinking water. She said yes, but if we wanted we could install a water filter (for about $300USD) and do away with that.

My question: does it pay to do this? What are the real costs? Do they work? IS there a whole house system?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Bottled water

We asked the landlord of the house we will be renting if we need to have bottled drinking water. She said yes, but if we wanted we could install a water filter (for about $300USD) and do away with that.

My question: does it pay to do this? What are the real costs? Do they work? IS there a whole house system?
Filters work if regularly maintained but only a 3 part filter system under sink can filter out microorganisms. The filter cartridges can get expensive for the 3 part system, but a 2 part system cleans the water and filters are less cost per year, but I have been told STILL bottled water is better for drinking at $10.00 pesos refill per garafon, just to be safe, and good exercise. I know a few houses with filters but seriously doubt they are maintained correctly. Only when they are completely plugged up would I suspect they are changed. If the source water is clean then that could be a long time. Ice machines were always filtered but people still did not maintain them until the taste got fairly bad. This is probably old school now as I feel the restaurants and hotels all over now do keep them serviced every 6 months or so.

So yes they work if you invest the time and money.

Filtering the main line into the house is a different system than drinking water systems. I am considering getting a whole house system. The cistern under our garage floor does a good job of elimination of particles from water [settles to the bottom] that is pumped up to the tinaco. These 2 have to be serviced about every year.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Filters work if regularly maintained but only a 3 part filter system under sink can filter out microorganisms. The filter cartridges can get expensive for the 3 part system, but a 2 part system cleans the water and filters are less cost per year, but I have been told STILL bottled water is better for drinking at $10.00 pesos refill per garafon, just to be safe, and good exercise. I know a few houses with filters but seriously doubt they are maintained correctly. Only when they are completely plugged up would I suspect they are changed. If the source water is clean then that could be a long time. Ice machines were always filtered but people still did not maintain them until the taste got fairly bad. This is probably old school now as I feel the restaurants and hotels all over now do keep them serviced every 6 months or so.

So yes they work if you invest the time and money.

Filtering the main line into the house is a different system than drinking water systems. I am considering getting a whole house system. The cistern under our garage floor does a good job of elimination of particles from water [settles to the bottom] that is pumped up to the tinaco. These 2 have to be serviced about every year.
What is/are the prices for whole house systems? I am sounding like a spoiled NOBer, I know. but I thought I'd ask anyway.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
This is a common one used according to the large plumeria close to our house for $855.00 pesos and the fiber cartridges cost $313.00 pesos. 56 litros por minuto. 3 to 6 months per cartridge.

Purificadores - Rotoplas
It looks like Rotoplas has two different systems. One is a whole house filter for sediments, the second is a microbial colloidal filter for drinking water. The second one seems localized to the individual taps, eg: one for the kitchen, another for the bath, etc.

Let me ask a general question: is it really worth all the time and very small expense, or will we, after a while, just get acculturated to bottled water like everyone else - and it will become a habit of living?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
So, does this system take the need for bottled drinking water away? Does it affect the hardness of the water? $855 MXN is that the whole cost, or just the unit and then there is insatallation labor? I can't believe you'd be able to do the whole job for $855 MXN?

I could install it myself leaving the tinaco. It is just used to filter sediment, more or less. Helps keeps faucets and shower heads, washing machines, dish washers, sink water clean, bath water clean, hot water tanks ,pressure pumps from getting problems eventually.

Bottled water for anything that you would drink is 100% the habit here.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Both of the places we've lived have had drinkable water. It made the transition much easier, no worry about brushing my teeth and the possible OOPS. Also living in Ajijic as we do even the ice is from bottled water.

We do have a lot of friends who purchase bottled water some just because they like the taste better. Who knows? I really think that it's up to the individual. I will say that whole house water filtration can be a real headache if it doesn't work correctly.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Both of the places we've lived have had drinkable water. It made the transition much easier, no worry about brushing my teeth and the possible OOPS. Also living in Ajijic as we do even the ice is from bottled water.

We do have a lot of friends who purchase bottled water some just because they like the taste better. Who knows? I really think that it's up to the individual. I will say that whole house water filtration can be a real headache if it doesn't work correctly.
I have always brushed my teeth with tap water in Mexico. One needs a little to combat microbes. I usually have a bit of stomach problems the first couple days after eating my first vendor food every time I arrive from more than a couple weeks in San Diego in Mexico. The common bacteria in the US is E-coli B, in Mexico it is E-coli A. My body needs some adjusting.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Me too. And I also make tea and coffee with tap water. For drinking, I use bottled water.
Many years ago I lent my car to 3 couples from Canada to spend 4 nights at a resort in Baja. I told them to be careful of Margaritas in cheap bars because they don't service their ice maker's filters enough. They all went bar hopping and drank Margaritas the last night there. When they arrived to pick up their rental car from me the next morning all 6 where having not only terrible hangovers but had to stop every 20 minutes or so to take care of their cramping runs on the way back from Ensenada, about 100 mile south of San Diego. They looked terrible.

I use bottled water for coffee and cup of soup, myself. But boiling beans, noodles or making soup I use tap water. I keep the water for beans and eat frijoles de la hoya, not refried at home.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My rental house lakeside has a water purification system with one faucet in the kitchen. It was in disrepair when I moved in and rather than spend money to clean it and replace the filters, test the water etc I just got used to bottled water. It is not hard and I like the taste. I wish the house had a water softening system. I use borax in laundry to soften the water and reduce the rust stains. I use vinegar in rinse water for clothes and dishes to keep the hard water marks off of them. If I bought a house here the first thing I would install is a water softening system. I get tired of the white stains on everything like faucets, shower curtains etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It looks like Rotoplas has two different systems. One is a whole house filter for sediments, the second is a microbial colloidal filter for drinking water. The second one seems localized to the individual taps, eg: one for the kitchen, another for the bath, etc.

Let me ask a general question: is it really worth all the time and very small expense, or will we, after a while, just get acculturated to bottled water like everyone else - and it will become a habit of living?
I currently drink both bottled water and tap water. I use bottled water more for the convenience of it than the taste (though I do love the taste of Arrowhead water).

I am currently living in an apartment and haven't invested in a water purification system. I think it's a possibility when I move into a house and it makes more sense to invest since I'll be there a while.

While I like bottled water, I remember hearing a podcast a while back -- maybe a year or two ago -- about how the bottled water industry is not really regulated like the public water systems (I don't think the testing of water or the requirements for public water are very high). I'd have to go back to it for specifics but from what I remember about it I think it makes sense to invest in my own filter rather than drinking bottled water forever.

~Blaise Pascal

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I currently drink both bottled water and tap water. I use bottled water more for the convenience of it than the taste (though I do love the taste of Arrowhead water).

I am currently living in an apartment and haven't invested in a water purification system. I think it's a possibility when I move into a house and it makes more sense to invest since I'll be there a while.

While I like bottled water, I remember hearing a podcast a while back -- maybe a year or two ago -- about how the bottled water industry is not really regulated like the public water systems (I don't think the testing of water or the requirements for public water are very high). I'd have to go back to it for specifics but from what I remember about it I think it makes sense to invest in my own filter rather than drinking bottled water forever.

~Blaise Pascal
That's true. The two biggest bottled water companies in the US, Dasani and AquaFina, are both just (maybe) filtered tap water.

If you want to be certain that you are getting spring water, not tap water, look for the words, "bottled at the source" on the label.

OTOH, if you can avoid drinking bottled water, or, at least, buy it in refillable bottles, you will help save literally tons of plastic waste, every year.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ummm, Mikisue.

The bottled water companies refill the "garafones" also. They wash them, sterilize them, refill them and sell it again and again. I, personally, do not trust the places that refill "garafones", do you know how often (if at all) they change their filters? I always buy "Ciel". It is the same water used to make Coca-Cola.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.