Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any residents that could help please. Do we buy bottled water or get a rental cooler for water? We are a family of 4 so will be drinking alot of water. Also if it turns out to be cheaper to get a cooler which companies do you recommend with reliable service please

Than you for your replies

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Are there any residents that could help please. Do we buy bottled water or get a rental cooler for water? We are a family of 4 so will be drinking alot of water. Also if it turns out to be cheaper to get a cooler which companies do you recommend with reliable service please

Than you for your replies
We use both :) .... cooler in the kitchen which takes care of everything we need in doors and we still have small bottles delivered to use to take out etc, we could just fill up sports bottles to take out but it costs so little it's easier.

We use Mai Dubai, we chose them simply because the deliveries are ultra reliable where we live (Arabian Ranches 2), the water is fine although I'm not a water connoisseur, I just wanted a reliable delivery.

The cooler wasn't too expensive but I'd say it's still cheaper to just buy bottled, the chiller is very convenient and neat. It's the type that has the large bottle inside and covered at the base rather than sitting on top.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
You can either hire a cooler from a water company or just buy one yourself then have the water bottles delivered - I do the latter. I use Falcon water and have always found them to be excellent.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Use the stuff out of the tap and stop being such a luvvie.

What is it with people and thinking bottled water is somehow better for you ?

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts

Hi,
Although I am not currently in the profession - I am actually a qualified water chemist and spent many years in the water industry - including this region, back in the eighties.
There are actually two very good reasons why it's not a great idea to drink tap water in this region.
Firstly water here is desalinated sea water. This means that it does not have the same chemical composition as typical European tap water - it has higher sodium levels and higher total dissolved solids.
Secondly - whilst the water leaves the desalination plant in good condition - there is no control over the local water tank in your apartment block or villa. It's very easy for the water to be contaminated at your own premises.
Bottled water can have its own problems - especially with the reusable 5 gallon bottles that contain certain chemicals in the plastic that can leach into the water.
This is made worse if the bottles are delivered and left outside in the sun all day.
The two best technical solutions are either to drink bottled water from plastic bottles that don't contain BPAs and are not reusable (like the Masafi 4 gallon bottles) or to install a unit that looks like one of the water coolers but is actually plumbed into your tap water and it chills and filters the tap water to make it perfectly safe to drink. The filters on these are changed around once per year in a domestic setting.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3,335 Posts

Elsewhere - absolutely. Here? Not a chance! You can taste the chemicals in the backwash of the water as it's full of them. It's also desalinated, so has a high sodium content. It's not a good idea to drink water here. In Europe, we always drink the tap water. In the ME, not a chance.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Secondly - whilst the water leaves the desalination plant in good condition - there is no control over the local water tank in your apartment block or villa. It's very easy for the water to be contaminated at your own premises.
You get that pretty much anywhere else.

Firstly water here is desalinated sea water. This means that it does not have the same chemical composition as typical European tap water - it has higher sodium levels and higher total dissolved solids.
And ? Is there an epidemic of problems caused ? Is this bad enough to warrant avoiding it like its poison ? I though t you said it came out of the plant in good condition - you can't have it both ways surely?

Each to their own of course, but as people who do drink the local water all the time, aren't dropping like flies, it sounds like a problem with negligible consequences.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
You get that pretty much anywhere else.

Hi,
The plumbing system is different here to UK, for instance.

In the UK, it's law for the tap in the kitchen to be directly mains fed.
It's easy to test whether it's mains fed in the UK - you simply put your finger over the tap outlet and turn it on - you can't hold it back.
In your bathroom - the cold tap is often fed from the roof tank - this pressure is easy to hold back.

In the UAE - the kitchen tap is not directly connected to the mains - it is fed from a tank or series of tanks.

The water leaves the desalination plant sterile and with the correct chemical composition (for desalinated water).

Once it gets to your property it can be contaminated in a number of ways.
Firstly, like the water bottles - chemicals from a big roof mounted plastic tank can leach into the water - especially as tank is in sun all day on villa roof.
Secondly - with the water nicely warmed up, bacteria grow and some of these are not pleasant (E-coli, for instance).
Older properties often have freshwater and waste water tanks next to each other and being made of concrete - cross contamination is possible.

I personally don't like to drink desalinated water.
I especially don't like to drink warm desalinated water that has been sitting festering in a plastic water tank on the top of a villa!

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
When the water very often comes out the taps in our apartment brown to start with, and you have to run it until it goes clear - NOPE! That's not happening. I won't even use it in the kettle or for cooking.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
When the water very often comes out the taps in our apartment brown to start with, and you have to run it until it goes clear - NOPE! That's not happening. I won't even use it in the kettle or for cooking.
Exactly why we dont drink our tap water + all the reasons explained above about water tanks........ absolutely nothing to do with being a 'Luvvie' :)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Exactly why we dont drink our tap water + all the reasons explained above about water tanks........ absolutely nothing to do with being a 'Luvvie' :)
Sounds more like you're not getting water out of your taps.

Personally, ours is always clear and leaves no colour, no smell and no stains anywhere. that's what water does - not drinking that water is definitely being a luvvie :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Internet forums are always a great source of FUD, especially when it comes to water, even the people buying filters for their showers to prevent hair loss. It's all snake oil. I've yet to see a single piece of evidence, only hearsay and advertising bumph.

Regarding sodium - Average bottled water is 20 mg/l of sodium, tap water is typically 50 mg/l. Drinking 3 litres per day will give you 0.06 - 0.1g of sodium. A single slice of bread will give you 0.1 - 0.15g of sodium. I would worry more about fast food, bread and cereal than water if you're concerned about sodium in your diet.

The source of mass market bottled water is also desalinated sea water. 90% of the ground water has been drawn out over the years and is now replaced by dragging seawater back into the aquifers. Ground water is just as saline as seawater, and in some places, more saline.

The main concern is how often the building management company cleans the water tank on the roof. How thick is the layer of settled dust at the bottom? Has a dead pigeon been lying in there for months? Does it comply to a recognised standard with a screened fly-mesh over the vent/ double check valve/ sufficient air gap?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I started out using Falcon water and they sold me a water cooler fairly cheap, they have also repaired it once. A few months ago they switched my delivery day without telling me and I was out of water for a few days and could not reach them by phone. I then started buying Nestle as a friend toured their plant(among others) and said it was the most impressive. I have also found Nestle to be more responsive, with Falcon they did answer an email eventually and informed me of the new day so I do use both of them now.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Everyone here has offered valid points for both sides of the argument. I agree desalinated water is not to be feared, but Steve has a point about the safety of the plumbing in your apartment or villa or water tank.

Having said the above, in more than ten years in the UAE not once did I know of people who got sick from desalinated water via their taps. There's also been no plagues or mass infections.

I use tap water for cooking (pasta, soups) and bottled water for drinking. And brushing teeth / showers. I used to have the water cooler but several years ago it broke and I switched to buying bottled imported water simply because I liked the cleaner taste better. My carbon footprint is doubtlessly enormous.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I started out using Falcon water and they sold me a water cooler fairly cheap, they have also repaired it once. A few months ago they switched my delivery day without telling me and I was out of water for a few days and could not reach them by phone. I then started buying Nestle as a friend toured their plant(among others) and said it was the most impressive. I have also found Nestle to be more responsive, with Falcon they did answer an email eventually and informed me of the new day so I do use both of them now.
Never had that issue with Falcon and been using them for 6 years. I do have the mobile of our delivery driver though, so that always helps.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Never had that issue with Falcon and been using them for 6 years. I do have the mobile of our delivery driver though, so that always helps.
I had them over 5 years without an issue, just like anything here it will go smooth until it doesn't, then it can be a major hassle.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Having said the above, in more than ten years in the UAE not once did I know of people who got sick from desalinated water via their taps. There's also been no plagues or mass infections.

We were out of water on two different occasions due to delivery day change and had to use tap water, myy wife had developed stomach pain, twice !

Here is one case for you. :)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Probably just a coincidence or unrelated.

If your wife showers regularly with the tap water and brushes her teeth with the tap water and never had issues, then she didn't get sick from consuming the regular tap water.

It could be that the mineral content of the tap water is enough to cause discomfort in some people whose systems aren't used to it but this would be widely known and discussed in the UAE. And it isn't.

We were out of water on two different occasions due to delivery day change and had to use tap water, myy wife had developed stomach pain, twice !

Here is one case for you. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.