Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live by myself in a studio rental in an apartment house in Lyon where water consumption is metered although not visible to me. That is, the hot and cold water meters are in the apartments but do not indicate actual usage. After two years of residency, the apartment owner says he will soon present me with my first water bill of 463 Euros which seems rather high, but I have no experience to judge. Does my bill appear high to others? What can I do to confirm my actual usage? Thank you for your advice.

G

·
A little high maybe. I once worked out that average consumption of some tenants I had - a couple and a family of six - came to roughly 12.5 Euros per head for the former, slightly less for the latter. The former works out at 300 Euros for two years per person.

If your water is being metered you should have the right to both read it on moving in, and at stipulated intervals thereafter. Otherwise the landlord could invent any figure that comes to mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I live in Lyon and your water consumption is way too high to be realistic, either you take 3 baths a day, you have a leak or your owner is making extra money on your bills.

The price of a cubic meter in Lyon is 2.42€ atm so in 2 years that make 191 m3 which is 262L a day. Average consumption in France is 150L/day.

To give you an example, I live in a 7 person apartment with a lot of friends passing by (thus some extra showers) and we use 160/180 m3 a year with a dishwasher, washing machine and 2 showers in the flat.

G

·
So those two examples make your figure somewhere between 50% and 80% too expensive. As Artik said, unless you are taking 3 baths per day, or your studio is filled with very thirsty pot plants, that bill seems excessive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to Frogblogger and Artik. I now suspect that there is a water leak somewhere, and I am pursuing the matter.
sidneyfalco

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.