Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been living in an apartment with 2 of my friends for a month now and the water company that supplies us water took out 115 euros out of my account. I just can't see how the water bill is so high. We don't drink water from the tap. The only water we use is the washing machine and the shower. Is their any chance that we are getting billed for previous tenants water usage.

Is water charged every month or every quarter?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
I've been living in an apartment with 2 of my friends for a month now and the water company that supplies us water took out 115 euros out of my account. I just can't see how the water bill is so high. We don't drink water from the tap. The only water we use is the washing machine and the shower. Is their any chance that we are getting billed for previous tenants water usage.

Thanks
Hi.:welcome:

I believe it's different in different regions.

Here our water bills come three monthly and include a charge for basura - rubbish disposal. There are two of us and a fair sized garden to water. Our bills are usually around 120 Euros.

It might be that you have paid for the last three months, only one of which you have lived in the flat for.

We had problems with both electric and water when we first moved in (we rent) and I now read the meters every day (supposedly) and keep the readings on a spreadsheet (sad , I know!).

The bills should have opening and closing readings which you can check against your spreadsheet. Also it will highlight any anomalies - like we found we used 1/4 tonne of water every day while we were away - leading us to a large leak in the garden.

·
Registered
15,657 Posts
They do vary according to where you are. Some places include the rubbish collection and sewage disposal charges along with the water.

I'm guessing you don't actually have the bill in front of you, just a bank statement showing the amount?

If you can't get a copy of the bill from the Ayuntamiento, the bank should be able to tell you the period/services covered - or if you do your banking online, click on the details of that withdrawal.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts

Thanks
My water bill used to be not much more than that for a whole year, and that was paying for the pool. We did pay €35 a year for basura separately.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Just to make everyone feel a little better, when we had the bar, the water/basura bill was over 500 Euros a quarter...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Our Water Company, Aguagest, do online billing as an option.
Go to your water co website and see if they do; you can then register and check your usage more easily. Idea?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Our water bill is charged monthly and is usually around €12. We live in the campo and do not pay for basura.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Our water bill is charged monthly and is usually around €12. We live in the campo and do not pay for basura.
Are you sure about not paying Basura?

We live in the campo but still have to pay it - it's a standard fee per property.

I would be very surprised if you didn't have to pay it one way or another - it's probably worth checking incase you get fined.

·
Registered
915 Posts

Thanks
It depends where you live. Mine is only €120 a year, but in Marbella it could be 8 times that amount!

As Snkipoh says, water is combined with basura, which is your refuse

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Alcalaina-Do you lick youself clean and drink bottled water? Something wrong there-it's incredulous!
Why should water charges vary so much from region to region? it's a necessity of life and charges should be regulated and standardised.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
We just got both the water and the rubbish bills (two separate bills). The water/sewerage was 130€ for 3 months. And the rubbish was 62€ for 6 months.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Are you sure about not paying Basura?

We live in the campo but still have to pay it - it's a standard fee per property.

I would be very surprised if you didn't have to pay it one way or another - it's probably worth checking incase you get fined.
We rent and all the bills are in the landlord's name. We see the bills but there is no mention of basura. Our neighbour, who has lived here since 1993 has never paid basura either...

·
Registered
15,657 Posts
Alcalaina-Do you lick youself clean and drink bottled water? Something wrong there-it's incredulous!
Why should water charges vary so much from region to region? it's a necessity of life and charges should be regulated and standardised.
No, I stay dirty and drink beer. :rolleyes:

I don't know why they vary so much. The charges are set by the ayuntamientos, there are no water authorities like in the UK. We're just lucky I guess.

·
Registered
15,657 Posts
No wonder Spain is in a state!
You'd prefer the UK system then?

Water companies pay little or no tax on huge profits
Thames Water and Anglian among companies paying little or no corporation tax while executives pocket huge bonuses

All the companies made hundreds of millions of pounds in operating profits and some have rewarded their senior executives with performance-related bonuses and investors with huge dividends. Martin Baggs, the chief executive of Thames Water, which enjoyed a £76m tax rebate in 2012, was given a bonus of £420,000 on top of his £425,000 salary and is in line for a further windfall of £1m based on company performance through to 2015.

·
Registered
881 Posts
We paid 52 euros for rubbish (per year)

Water is usually no more than 20 a month, considering we do have a pool and gardens that we water daily, it is quite cheap. Last year we paid 230 for the whole year.

If you live 'en el campo' and you need to take the rubbish with you in the car, I think you don't have to pay, I do have friends in the campo and they never paid rubbish as they take it with them and drop it in some bins in town. eeekk! (that's what happens when you live in the middle of nowhere).

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
My water per 2 months is 34,47€. That's 7€ for 11m3 consumption, 24,34€ standing charge +IVA.Rubbish is 13,12€/2 months.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts