Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

Love France, been here four years now and wouldn't return to blighty for anything other than family emergencies!! However, I do miss english tv, the choice and the humour mostly. I know there are various ways around the whole sky thing but I cannot have a dish chez nous, so, Does anyone know of a way to watch uk programmes via your pc? I've tried iplayer etc directly, but unfortunately it won't allow me to watch from outside the uk. Strictly has just started as has the X Factor.........frustration abounds!!! :{

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi Everyone

Love France, been here four years now and wouldn't return to blighty for anything other than family emergencies!! However, I do miss english tv, the choice and the humour mostly. I know there are various ways around the whole sky thing but I cannot have a dish chez nous, so, Does anyone know of a way to watch uk programmes via your pc? I've tried iplayer etc directly, but unfortunately it won't allow me to watch from outside the uk. Strictly has just started as has the X Factor.........frustration abounds!!! :{
Hi,
There are apparently ways to give your computer a false UK address so you can access i-player etc. but you need to find a computer expert to show you how to do it.
I, unfortunately ,am not an expert.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I too missed UK programming. The best site I have found is TheBox.bz. Incredible libary of old and new british tv and very fast downloads. They are incredibly strict on download/upload ratios though, so you can't download too much. It is free.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hiya, I too found the same problem and there are loads of websites with libraries of programmes. Everything from Allo, Allo to Fawlty Towers to soaps and documentaries. Try using the OVG guide (google it). Its a hub with links to hundreds of websites featuring programmes of any sort. Blinkbox remote and TV shack are two that I use a lot. The quality can be a bit variable but it does the job. Alternatively, I get my Internet, Phone and TV through Orange and they have small anglophone package available for about 5 Euro a month. It's only a few channels but it does include BBC Prime which shows various UK BBC programmes. Can't watch it all evening but for the odd half hour its ok. See the BBC prime website for more lisitings

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Already mentioned are the torrent sites that specialize in UK programming: thebox and uknova. If you've never used bittorrent before, you'll need some studying to make sure you don't run foul and get banned. thebox has a system where you can pay to alleviate the ratio problem.

Next alternative (also pointed out) is to use a VPN -- virtual private network -- that provides a UK IP address so you can access programs via your browser and are not blocked because you have a foreign IP address. The only reliable services that can cope with the bandwidth necessary are paid ones.

There is at least one company out there providing an independent streaming service using proprietary software (actually a poor rehash of the excellent VLC!). They were free a couple of months back but will certainly be moving to a charged model

The final option I know of is to have a slingbox setup, either with family friends (in which case it's free) or with a paid service.

Caveat emptor with any of the paid services for a VPN, streamer or slingbox -- these small startup companies go in and out of business all the time. If you've paid hundreds for a year in advance and they go to the wall, you're SOL.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the info /snip! It's great. Recent episodes of IQ, the transatlantic sessions and coverage of the Cambridge folk festival available through BBC iplayer and now I can watch tem too.. Great! Thanks again!

PJ

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,
I too missed UK programming. The best site I have found is TheBox.bz. Incredible libary of old and new british tv and very fast downloads. They are incredibly strict on download/upload ratios though, so you can't download too much. It is free.
Hi

I don't have a problem with your reply, I'm just wondering why mine was removed as "advertising" and yours wasn't..... Bizarre!!

G

·
Hi

I don't have a problem with your reply, I'm just wondering why mine was removed as "advertising" and yours wasn't..... Bizarre!!
Several mentions of the same product was the problem, I believe. We have some very astute moderators ;). That said all discussion of the people you mentioned, as a way of accessing BBC iPlayer from outside the UK, has been removed. So for the sake of good order, and giving you the benefit of the doubt, the link is to an outfit known as 'iportal'.

Of course as the original poster with no links whatever to the company concerned (isn't that right!), I'm sure we'll now see lots of new posts from you on totally unrelated topics, won't we :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Several mentions of the same product was the problem, I believe. We have some very astute moderators ;). That said all discussion of the people you mentioned, as a way of accessing iportal from outside the UK, has been removed. So for the sake of good order, and giving you the benefit of the doubt, the link is to an outfit known as iportal.

Of course as the original poster with no links whatever to the company concerned (isn't that right!), I'm sure we'll now see lots of new posts from you on totally unrelated topics, won't we :)
Absolutely!! Actually, I'm now on the lookout for recording studios and vocal workshops in or around (53)!!

·
Administrator
51,272 Posts
I'm wondering what the problem is? Do some sites ban access from apparently French IP addresses?
The streaming video sites that rebroadcast tv programs block all IP addresses outside the "target audience" country. They claim it is due to rights restrictions - a popular show like "House" or "CSI" is sold to the French market in various versions only for French audiences, so they don't want folks in France having access to newer episodes before they have been broadcast on French television.

I've heard that the rights to broadcast VM programs during prime time is considerably higher than the rights to broadcast only the VF (French version) so they have every motivation to restrict rights to the English language original.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not too hot on technical issues, but I think it is to do with broadcasting licenses, and yes I think they block you when they realise you're somewhere other than the UK. It's all about VPN's, whatever they are!!! There are ways around it, various sites offer the ability to "re-route" you and others, I believe, offer a "cloaking" service. I have found a site which does the former, which is great, however I'm not allowed to put its details on the public forum page.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The streaming video sites that rebroadcast tv programs block all IP addresses outside the "target audience" country. They claim it is due to rights restrictions - a popular show like "House" or "CSI" is sold to the French market in various versions only for French audiences, so they don't want folks in France having access to newer episodes before they have been broadcast on French television.

I've heard that the rights to broadcast VM programs during prime time is considerably higher than the rights to broadcast only the VF (French version) so they have every motivation to restrict rights to the English language original.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks, now I understand. I'll stick with bit torrents I think!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks, now I understand. I'll stick with bit torrents I think!
VPN is definitely the way to go, just a click to get access to itv n iplayer. i got tired of waiting for downloads or searching youtube for outofdate episodes. cant mention here i think (forum rules) but pm if u want me to recommend the service im using - i've tried a few and been thru all the headaches.

rob

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi, I am a big watcher of ITV, Channel four , BBC Iplayer etc now and I subscribe to a VPN provider. They charge but it is minimal really for the quality progs you get to watch. It is because of the licensing that you can't access the progs as you are going in with a French IP address and the sites recognise this. with the VPN sites once you subscribe they give you the info to input into your network prefs and you just connect to it when you want to look at those sites. It provides a UK IP address whilst you are signed into it and hey presto Brit TV. I am not advertising...simply passing on the info. I think there are loads online but I am using Lamnia - I pay 18 squid ever three months and it works well. When I have had problems they respond extremely quickly and even called me here to help set me up when I was being a bit blonde :) Hope you get sorted - nothing like the sound of David Attenboroughs voice and fab documentary progs - as well as all the other stuff :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know all the technical language, so feel free to correct me on the details, but I have recently purchased a U.S. I.P. address for $8 a month and am able to watch all the major US networks.

It does not work for Hulu or Silverlight (I tried getting Netflix on-demand) but I get NBC, ABC, CBS, everything. The site offers some sort of add-on to help with work with Hulu, etc., but I haven't used that.

I purchased a TV with a PC outlet and am watching US in HD (or close-enough) on a regular TV - it's wonderful! I just caught up on 30 Rock, Desperate Housewives and The Office.

I would be glad to share the details with anyone through a PM.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I don't know all the technical language, so feel free to correct me on the details, but I have recently purchased a U.S. I.P. address for $8 a month and am able to watch all the major US networks.
The "technical details" are that you are using a VPN provider.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.