Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bonjour everyone, new to the site. We have had a top loading washing machine for the past twelve years and although it seems a long time due to the limited amount of time we are able to spend at our gite in chaunay, in the Poitou Charente, we haven't used it a great deal. However, due to the water hardness for the area, it appears that the cold water inlet may have furred up, thus not allowing the free passage of water into the machine. Could anyone advice me whether it's time to buy a new one or are there any ways of solving the problem?

·
Administrator
50,464 Posts
There are products sold (at the supermarket) to try to prevent the calk from ruining the washing machine, but if you're having significant problems, it may already be too late. Basically, you're looking for Calgon (I think it's the same stuff that is sold in the UK). Might be worth a try - but I'm not a big fan of those top loading machines, so I'd be inclined to go for a new one.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Try an empty hot-wash with a cup of vinegar added.

It will shift the calk (but may block it further through the system:fingerscrossed: ).

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
If it's the cold water inlet, neither Calgon nor vinegar will work because you use these in the machine. If you really want to hang onto it, get a serviceman in - he can at least have a look to see where the problem really is (if it's the inlet, it may well be throughout the machine) and tell you how much it will cost to fix. Whether you get it repaired or replace it, I would suggest you use Calgon in future or run vinegar through on a regular basis, do a regular inspection for calcaire and fluff etc caught in the machine, turn the water off at the tap when the machine is not in use, and disconnect the hoses whenever you are vacating the home. Certainly you should turn the water off at the tap whenever you leave the house vacant for a time as it safeguards against flooding from perished hoses and the like.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Like EverHopeful suggests, get a repairman in to look and evaluate the problem. In the future I would suggest using vinegar (cheaper than Calgon and works very well). I usually throw some in with every load and then do cleaning run with vinegar once a month.

I just have to say, everytime I see or hear "Calgon", i'm transported (far) back to my youth and the commercials for it Calgon, ancient chinese secret lolol. Sorry I had to let that out

·
Administrator
50,464 Posts
What I suspect is that if the cold water pipe is clogged, then the wash tub itself must be pretty badly junked up. (I remember Calgon ads on the UK telly when I lived there, with the repairman telling the housewife how he can't repair it at that stage.)

There are also a number of products you can run through the (new) machine either every few months or once or twice a year to clean out all the accumulated calk and detergent scum. (Most people use way too much detergent and that can clog up the machine, too.) The one I use is called WK Ultra - it's the cheapest and the instructions to say to use it once or at most twice a year.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Most inlets will have fine mesh filters to stop junk getting in.Disconnect the inlet hose (have a bucket handy) and there should a pull out filter in the hose and something similar in the machine inlet.Soak them well in vinegar or a descaler rinse replace then run the machine with a descaler in it.You can buy specific washing machine cleaners on ebay or most decent sized supermarketx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts