Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, myself and my wife are both british citizens and want to open up a shop in the us selling imported uk products. We currently do the same thing in reverse, selling us products in the uk but we want to move to the states and were wondering what chance we have got and te best visa to apply for. Neither of us graduated uni so that's out nor have we been in the military so that may be a problem. I'm 25 she's 23 if that helps at all. Thanks people.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Hi, myself and my wife are both british citizens and want to open up a shop in the us selling imported uk products. We currently do the same thing in reverse, selling us products in the uk but we want to move to the states and were wondering what chance we have got and te best visa to apply for. Neither of us graduated uni so that's out nor have we been in the military so that may be a problem. I'm 25 she's 23 if that helps at all. Thanks people.
the only option you have is the L visa
and the E-2 visa ... start your research there

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. We have looked at these visa types but one thing we can't seem to find is how much collateral we would need to be able to put forward to show we have sufficient funds availiable. Also the E-2 visa seems to have a stipulation that states the business must either be trading or close to trading prior to application, if for examle we go to the us buy a shop, stock it, hire staff then our application is turned down can we keep the business or would we need to sell it, the other thing is along the same lines would we be better getting a b-1 to being with so that we can stay in the us for a prolonged period so as we can scout the best location for our shop etc.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Thanks. We have looked at these visa types but one thing we can't seem to find is how much collateral we would need to be able to put forward to show we have sufficient funds availiable. Also the E-2 visa seems to have a stipulation that states the business must either be trading or close to trading prior to application, if for examle we go to the us buy a shop, stock it, hire staff then our application is turned down can we keep the business or would we need to sell it, the other thing is along the same lines would we be better getting a b-1 to being with so that we can stay in the us for a prolonged period so as we can scout the best location for our shop etc.
the miminmum reqwuired for an E-2 would be around the $150k mark ..more the better you can start afresh with a new business ..what you do is buy a business or take on a lease ..subject to visa ..no visa no deal

forget the B-2/B-1 ..you probably would not get it

the main problem with the E-2 is it does not lead to a green card

1 - 4 of 4 Posts