Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am an American, in Thailand. I've been here a few months, lucky making some money online, via website design and from other projects. I have been interested in moving to Europe for a while, specifically France.

It's just me - no signicant other, no kids. I don't speak French. I know that's an issue - I do get some words in my email from a French word-of-the-day site that I signed up for. Trying to line things up if I go.
One is to find the best way and place to learn French. I have not found any place or way to learn it affordably. I heard they speak it in Vietnam, which isn't too far, but again, no solid info.

As for job options -

In addition to the above, I have a lot of IT skills, and also just graduated from a nutrition school. So, I am thinking I could piece some forms of work together and continue to do what I am doing.

So, I am wondering how I could stay, I know you get 30 or 90 days legally.

I'm also a big health food fan. That's part of the draw. I don't have a lot of money saved right now, and allergies after working (unknowingly) around chemicals and mold. So, old, moldy places are out.

Trying to get as many things out of the way, so when I get there, things will go smooth. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
Learning French won't, in and of itself, ease your way into France - though it will give you some advantage when it comes to finding a job. The trick is that you need the job first - then you return home (or to your country of residence) to apply for your visa after your employer has submitted his "sponsorship" paperwork and gotten things approved.

If you enter France on the 90 day visa (a so-called Schengen visa), you'll have to leave again in order to apply for a long-stay visa. But while you're on the Schengen visa, you're just a "tourist" and you're not allowed to work. (You can, I suppose, look for work at least.)
Cheers,
Bev

G

·
why dont you enroll in a cheap language course and keep studying in France. I think as a student you are allowed to work as well in France, many people do this....you can learn french and work legally as well without having to be sponsored. Also I don't think there are restrictions on any online work you want to do while being legally resident in France on a student visa. If you look outside Paris - there are many cheap schools where you can enroll and learn French. Try any city not too far from Paris or any other region where you may want to live.

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
why dont you enroll in a cheap language course and keep studying in France. I think as a student you are allowed to work as well in France, many people do this....you can learn french and work legally as well without having to be sponsored. Also I don't think there are restrictions on any online work you want to do while being legally resident in France on a student visa. If you look outside Paris - there are many cheap schools where you can enroll and learn French. Try any city not too far from Paris or any other region where you may want to live.
Just a small caveat here - to qualify for a student visa, you need to enroll in a program that is (more or less) full time and that grants some form of degree or certificate. You can't always get a visa for a cheap language school.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.