Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here it is.
I am a stay at home mom.
My husband works for Sony as a quality assurance and quality control person with some game design work for Sony Online Entertainment.

I used to be in the Navy, but I have mostly worked in retail. I have been unemployed for 4 years.

I used to live in England, for about 3 years. I was there married to a English citizen.
Things did not work out, we divorced and I came back to America.

I have missed Britain every day since I left. I loved the country so much.

Now, my current husband and I can not stand living in America.
We are unhappy with the education system and want a better education then any school in America could provide for our daughter.
We do not like the way the government is set up here, neither the Democrats or Republicans suit our needs and wants for our lives or our daughters life.

Anyway, all of that aside, I know from having lived over seas that there are better places to live then America.

I am so fed up of being here that I would live in Germany if need be.

So, my question, long introduction over, is where can we move that has a good technology and game design industry and what will it take to get there?

I would prefer England again, but as I only have experience with the marriage visa side of things I do not know what exactly we would need to do to get there in another way.
But, having said that I would prefer England, I will take just about anywhere.

Any and all advice is welcome.
Thank you in advance. :)

·
Administrator
49,871 Posts
As I have said many times on this forum, it's far better to be running TO something rather than running AWAY from something.

That said, if you really think you'd prefer living in England, then your husband should start looking for jobs in his line of work there and see what's available. To have a chance at getting a work visa, he needs to have some skill or experience in the US that isn't readily available in the UK - mainly so that a potential employer can justify hiring a foreigner over someone local or any candidate within the EU.

Interesting you say that you would consider going to Germany. The public schools in Germany don't have a great reputation. There was talk of changing the system, but when I lived there, most kids only went to school for half days. And of course there is the language issue. If both you and your husband speak German, it could be an option, but I sure wouldn't move there for the schools.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
As I have said many times on this forum, it's far better to be running TO something rather than running AWAY from something.

That said, if you really think you'd prefer living in England, then your husband should start looking for jobs in his line of work there and see what's available. To have a chance at getting a work visa, he needs to have some skill or experience in the US that isn't readily available in the UK - mainly so that a potential employer can justify hiring a foreigner over someone local or any candidate within the EU.

Interesting you say that you would consider going to Germany. The public schools in Germany don't have a great reputation. There was talk of changing the system, but when I lived there, most kids only went to school for half days. And of course there is the language issue. If both you and your husband speak German, it could be an option, but I sure wouldn't move there for the schools.
Cheers,
Bev
I am so fed up of being here that I would live in Germany if need

be.

I think the reference to Germant Bev was tongue in cheek! ;) But I agree with your comments on the education system in Germany, its certainly not held up as one of the best in the EU!

Wanna leave ..... I cant say much more than what Bev has already suggested really ..... I know what its like to want to try something new, as we did when we took the decision to come to Spain .... but we werent running away from the UK - we just wanted a new experience...and even though we dont regret it, I have to say that often the grass is rarely greener! and problems in one place can often re surface in another ..particularly at this moment in time with the current economic climate - there arent many places that are having a great time, politically or otherwise.

Best of luck
Sue :ranger:

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, have you came closer to a decision yet?

As Bev said, running away from issues doesn't help anyone in the long term. Sooner or later you'll find being in any country long enough, that their political, health, education system will have similar agendas, if not now, they will in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts