Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I havnt played golf in years but was hoping to get back into the swing of things (no pun intended) as the weather here seems perfect for it!

Where is the best place to go to play 9 holes? Im not a beggineer but havnt played consistently in years so looking for an eaygoing/social course that provides clubs!Dont want to buy a new set incase my appetite for the games is not as big as i think! I have googled it but all I get back is the realy big pro courses!

Oh and if anyone fancies a game that would be cool to!

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Hey Frank,

try Jebel ali Beach Resort. It`s a nine hole course with a bit of a sting in the tail and as it`s approaching summer they will shortly be doing some unbeatable deals.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Yeah Jebel Ali is your best bet, they do club rental too. Played there 2 weeks ago (first round of golf in almost 4 years) and cost 150 Dhs for the 9 holes. When booking say your handicap is any number under 20 and they won't question it. Unfortunately it's a tricky course, I must have lost at least half a dozen balls over the 9 holes. They've got a nice driving range and practice chipping/putting area too.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Hey Frank ... I am in the same quandry as you and haven't had a game since coming back to the Middle East last year as I didn't want to morgage the house to do so.

I haven't heard of Jebbel Ali course before either, but am up for a slap and tickle and happy to make up a 4some as long as you don't take the game "too seriously".

Have to head off back to Oz in the morning (Monday) just briefly because of a family bereavement but will be back here Saturday next .... So any time after that works for me .... I only get to check this forum occassionally, so send a PM if you are interested .... Cheers Greg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi guys,

I havnt played golf in years but was hoping to get back into the swing of things (no pun intended) as the weather here seems perfect for it!

Where is the best place to go to play 9 holes? Im not a beggineer but havnt played consistently in years so looking for an eaygoing/social course that provides clubs!Dont want to buy a new set incase my appetite for the games is not as big as i think! I have googled it but all I get back is the realy big pro courses!

Oh and if anyone fancies a game that would be cool to!

Thanks!!!!
Frank,
Conas a ta tu?

I play Sharjah most every other week, 9 holes, just play it twice, not many bunkers, good fairways but also some challenges along the way. Always tees of with shotgun starts so you coudl start on any of the nine holes, 2 for one deals in the entertainer and they run the 2 for 1's during the summer also.

RAK is another nice course but obviously more of a drive. Played Saadiyat island a few weeks back, pricey and very tough. not played Jebel Ali. The Arabian Ranches is another one but is a tough course.

Always up for a game of a Saturday...drop me a PM if you're heading out again soon.

What part of home you originally from? Here long?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey--

I'd be interested in playing! I'm in the same boat as you FRANKDUBAI. Let me know if you get a group together.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Have a ring round all the clubs for prices. You will find that they all offer club hire.

You'll find all the info you need here:

golf in DUBAi

In return, please come back and let us know how you get on :)

-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok great! Looks like Jebel Ali is a good palce to start!! Thanks for the info guys and those who are up for a game I will PM you.....have to post on a few random topics before I get the PM enabled!

Elphaba.....im not your personal secretary!! :)

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
I love golf, but my normal days off are Sunday thru Tuesday :( Those are the only days I do about to do anything on. 12 hour days, and 4 hour driving/work stuff just do not leave alot of time for much else on the other days. Maybe a Friday 7:30 am meet up would work, but would have to be short as I need my sleep :)

If your interested in a round on those days, pm me. I am in the lovely Discovery Gardens so the Jebel Ali golf course is close to me. Heck, even finding someone who would like to meet to hit balls and a cup of coffee would be grand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok great! Jynxgirl...you sound like a candidate for the driving range! Which is cool to!

I also see you are a moderator...I have made my 5 posts...why cant I PM?? Maybe you could flick the switch on the QT for me! :)

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Me?? A moderator?? NO way.. I dont think I could be a moderator... I dont like to sit on the sidelines :D

·
Banned
6,690 Posts
Or try Sharjah Golf and Shooting Club, just 30 mins (max) from Ranches straight along Emirates Road as long as you avoid 3-8pm at National Paints.

My mate's one of the pros there...

·
Registered
961 Posts
Or try Sharjah Golf and Shooting Club, just 30 mins (max) from Ranches straight along Emirates Road as long as you avoid 3-8pm at National Paints.

What Andy, he's a hooker? :D :D :D

·
Registered
961 Posts

Just to let all else know .....

Thanks to Andy C's earlier thread recommendation, I dropped in to have a squiz at the Sharjah Golf and Shooting Club earlier today

So, unexpectantly I had to drop into work, back up in DXB so I then swung by the Sharjah Golf and Shooting Club, on the way to doing a grogg run at Al Hamra... (How good does one afternoon get !! ):D:D:D

For those that didn't know (including me) of its existance, the Sharjah Golf and Shooting Club could provide a sensible alternative and allows the possibility of putting golf back on my adjenda.

All the bigger clubs here charge about the 20 grand a year mark for subs, but this place is well less than half of that.

Now since I'm not on a million dollar budget as strange as it may sound, (as I think the vast majority of middle order expats are that are here) I am also here to save some money, so this makes it possible.

Its a combination type club, with quite a few activities, but my main interest is still golf. Only a 9 hole course but still has all the "expected" facilities of the larger opposition clubs, but to me, at a sensible price.

Definitely worth a look, particularly for all of us poor plebbs that just God forbid, want to have a hit at a "sensible price" without all the BS .... :clap2: :love: :clap2:

Never know the good old Callaways may very soon again see the light of day .... hip hip hooray! :love:;):cool::D:love:

Onya Andy ... thanks mate !!!

Reactions: Andy Capp

·
Registered
961 Posts
Speaking of Golf !!!

Afternoon fellow trend setters ....

Back home in Oz and other countries as well, you can most times find Drining Ranges.

Are there any "stand alone" driving ranges here or are they all attached to the multi "million dollar" courses??

Cheers :confused2:

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
None that I know of but the Range at Jebel Ali is open to all visitors with no dress code. 30 Dhs for 50 balls, not too bad. I often pop up at lunchtime to smack a few balls into the trees and grab some lunch in the clubhouse.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm unaware of any unattached practice ranges in the area. I practice weekly at Emirates Golf Club. The set up is nice, convenient, and AED 30 also for a bucket of balls. Between the range, chipping area green, and putting green it is a good facility.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
I ordered a golf practice net :) On those days that I dont want to be bothered going to the behemeth golf courses (most every day) I can still go down and wack a few balls. Not at all the same, but at least I get to use my clubs.

Someone who has loads of money, put in a normal old driving range :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.