Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was born in Canada. My family moved to the US when I was ten. I grew up in the US, but am still a Canadian citizen (actually, I am a dual citizen). I have a Canadian birth certificate, Passport and SIN card.

I would like to return, but I'm a bit clueless as to how.

I've lost my SIN card and don't remember the number. I've downloaded the form to apply for a replacement, but the service Canada site says if you don't know your number to refer to your income tax return. I have never filed taxes in Canada. Would they be able to look it up? Would it be better to mail the form (I'm nervous about sending my birth certificate through the mail) or got in person?

How hard is it to get a job if you don't speak French? All my schooling from grade 6 on is in the US. I'm a college student now, but I know employers prefer Canadian education. What's the situation like? Which jobs or skills are in the most demand?

I want to live in Winnipeg, by the way. I am 24 and looking for anything. Sorry if these are really basic questions, but if someone can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it! :)

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I was born in Canada. My family moved to the US when I was ten. I grew up in the US, but am still a Canadian citizen (actually, I am a dual citizen). I have a Canadian birth certificate, Passport and SIN card.
If you have a current passport you may enter Canada at any time.

I would like to return, but I'm a bit clueless as to how.

I've lost my SIN card and don't remember the number. I've downloaded the form to apply for a replacement, but the service Canada site says if you don't know your number to refer to your income tax return. I have never filed taxes in Canada. Would they be able to look it up? Would it be better to mail the form (I'm nervous about sending my birth certificate through the mail) or got in person?
When you come back just go to a Service Canada office and apply for a replacement SIN card.

How hard is it to get a job if you don't speak French? All my schooling from grade 6 on is in the US. I'm a college student now, but I know employers prefer Canadian education. What's the situation like? Which jobs or skills are in the most demand?
French is only really needed in the Province of Quebec and other very small pockets. What are you skilled to do?

I want to live in Winnipeg, by the way. I am 24 and looking for anything. Sorry if these are really basic questions, but if someone can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it! :)
Given the information you provided you may enter the country and live/Work where you wish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply.

Sorry if I was unclear. I'm aware I can enter whenever I like and can legally work. I've gone back to visit lots of times, but I just don't know what the job situation is like. I'm glad to hear French isn't really needed (no one I know speaks it anyway).

That's a good idea to just replace the SIN card when I get there. I don't know why I didn't think of that. :eek:

I'm really skilled at administrative work. I have experience, can type 55 wpm, and am skilled in Microsoft Office. I have also done manual labor. I am open to almost anything and would be willing to take classes in Canada. I am looking for entry level work. I was just wondering if someone who already lives there can tell me what the best fields to start looking in are?

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.