Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!!

My name is Matthew, I currently live in Perth working as a production control and improvement chemist in the mining industry.

I am desperately keen to get out of Australia (great place, but really keen to try a different lifestyle) and work and live in another country; preferably Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand or Indonesia. Basically anywhere in Asia.

Problem is I have zero idea on how to get a job in an Asian country. While my company is multinational, it does not operate any mines in Asia and all it's operations there are in trade and marketing. I figure I would need to jump ship and just apply to a role based over there rather than get a job in aus and hope I get sent over there.

I speak conversational Japanese and am still studying it. I have also started to learn mandarin and a bit of Cantonese.

I just really don't know where to start and what I was hoping to get out of this forum were some pointers on how to get my ass to Asia and where I should be posting this kind of content.

Thanks in advance

Matt

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
First thing you may want to do is to take a look at the immigration requirements for your target countries. No country is really "easy" to get into these days, but if you know what hoops the employers have to go through to hire a foreigner, you can get an idea of how to position yourself.

Check the websites of the consulates for your target countries. They should have some information about their visa requirements - and whether or not you can work (or in some cases, even look for work) on the various types of visas on offer.

Then, you need to research your industry in your target countries and see what skills they need (and preferably have difficulty finding in the local population). Even with no legal restrictions, it's always going to be easier to hire someone locally than to bring in someone from far away. So if you can develop a skill that is in demand (and short supply) somewhere in Asia, you'll be ahead of the game.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts